Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 09:14 AM
mnb mnb started this thread

17 posts, read 232,615 times

Advertisements

Hello! Very confused first time homebuyer here! I will try to break this question out in to two related parts. I am looking for advice from homebuyers, real estate pros, or anyone who knows anything about real estate

Here is my situation: fiance and I are looking to buy an apartment in Hoboken. We have 30K to provide at closing, so assume 20K for a downpayment, 10K for closing costs. The property we are interested in is asking 375K, and has 3 units in the building.

We have received 4 good faith estimates from mortgage brokers and bankers who know we have only 20K to put down, and we have been "pre approved" for at 360K loan, technically meaning we could buy a 380K apartment. I do know that these estimates are not binding, and could go up or down at any time.

So these mortgage pros know that we don't have 10% to put down, but are still pre approving us and wanting to work with us. But I am hearing that the PMI companies are no longer insuring anything LESS than 10% down on any property. So you can get lots of estimates from lenders that are for 5% or 8% down, but they never get all the way through the process because the PMI companies won't pickup the cost. Is this true? Wouldn't this be a huge waste of time for the lenders?

So with this in mind, our next idea was to go the FHA route, allowing us to put 3.5% down, negating the down payment issue. But now we hear that buildings can only get FHA approval if there are more than 4 units, and most must be owner occupied. Does that sound accurate, or am I getting bad info?

Naturally, our top choice is in a building with only 3 units. We are assuming that all units are owner occupied, and we know for a fact that the unit we are interested is owner occupied. And it is an old building with an association that has been established for years.

So my two questions are:
1. Is it possible to put less than 10% down in Northern NJ and still get a conventional loan? Will the PMI companies go for this if you have good credit?
2. Is it a hard and fast rule that there must be 4+ units in a building in order to get FHA approval, or is there some wiggle room with this?

If it matters, we have credit scores of:

Fiance - 784, 798, 786
Me - 771, 751, and 755

If I haven't explained myself enough (yeah right, look at how long this post is!) or if you need more info to provide an answer, please don't hesitate to ask! Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 03:50 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
I could be wrong...and I don't know if it's the same in NY as in NJ, but i bought a home last year...and I had to put at least 20% to not be slammed with the PMI or a 2nd mortgage. As far as I know thay have not done away with this process. IMO, your best best, if you can, put down @ least 20%...that way you don't have to worry about PMI if it does come to rear it's ugly head...and that way your monthly payment would be a little less too.

Good luck!

Old 09-02-2009, 06:24 PM

604 posts, read 2,010,445 times
jdaa: That's a no go situation...she has 30K to work with.

Mnb: Are you trying to buy an apt. bldg. having three apartments and you are going to occupy one of the apartments and lease the other two?

Without that it becomes an investment property?

Old 09-02-2009, 06:27 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
FWIW, I got a conventional loan earlier this year with only about 11% down. My wife and I had credit scores at or above 800. We have to pay PMI monthly until we have paid 20% on the principle of the loan. So after about 7 years we'll no longer be paying PMI. The higher your credit scores the more negotiating power you will have with the lenders.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:28 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
If you will be occupying one of the units, you should ahve no probnlem getting an FHA loan.

And FYI, FHA only makes loans for 1-4 unit properties, not 4+.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:37 PM
mnb mnb started this thread

17 posts, read 232,615 times
Thanks to everyone for the advice! I would not be buying the entire building, only one apartment unit within the building. Looks like I'm going to end up having to go the FHA route, just due to not having at least 10% down. But it's now my understanding that buildings must have 4+ units in order to qualify...is this incorrect?

Old 09-03-2009, 03:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
So you are buying a condo? If that's the case, then yes, there are specific requirements on the number of units, number of owner occupied units, and other specific criteria.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:31 PM

229 posts, read 923,207 times
Long story short, call my broker. If it is legit, he will get it done for you. He got me from contract to close in 28 days, FHA.

PM me for number

Old 09-03-2009, 05:45 PM

636 posts, read 1,423,443 times
If you can't put even 10% down, why do you think you can afford the house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: