Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 08:11 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,634,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
California stop is when you roll up to the stop sign, slow down but do not even come close to stopping. I didn't mean to put the sign at the end of my comment, was in a rushYou just roll around the corner or through the sign. I can't believe you have never heard of that!
well the California stop is well known it was the "sign" at the end that threw me. A fairly new trend in CA is to stop 30 feet behind the stop sign when someone is approaching then blowing through the intersection. Fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 09:09 PM

18 posts, read 55,777 times
Default I'm outta here NJ!!!

No, the "armpit" reference was saved for Staten Island. I live in Staten Island and can tell you it is crowded but we are very content. Our proximity to the City, NJ and PA is great and we have everything we want here. You sound to me like you wouldn't be happy anywhere.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:48 AM

1 posts, read 990 times
left NJ years ago.. Bergen County NOT to go south. North. New Hampshire. Got a nice home for $200k, about an hour from Boston & an hour to the NH beaches. NO INCOME TAX. NO SALES TAX. Property taxes $4500. Good schools, plenty of room, no crime. Now if those Aholes from crazy taxed Massachusetts who moved here would stop coming and voting for the same idiots type idiots that made Massachusetts so expensive and highly taxed, then NH will remain great. Yea its cold in the winter but theres weather wherever you go. Midwest has cold, blizzards, tornadoes. Florida has hurricanes. California earthquakes, mudslides and droughts. Pacific NW rains about 200 a year. New Hampshire is great.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:37 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,693 times
Love people complaining about their giant mortgages. No one forced you to take out said mortgage.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:57 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Love people complaining about their giant mortgages. No one forced you to take out said mortgage.
Ding ding ding. When I was shopping for a condo, Weichert's financing people kept urging me to spend more than what I intended. "You have a good salary, you can afford it." I knew I'd be retiring in a few years and wanted a payment I could make on my pension. I saw two different Weichert finance people, both very pushy about me spending higher. It go annoying, so I went to Wells Fargo, who asked me what I wanted my monthly payment to be and worked out a number I could use as a target price range. I ended up buying at about $30 below that number.

I've got a payment I can live with comfortably.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:31 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ding ding ding. When I was shopping for a condo, Weichert's financing people kept urging me to spend more than what I intended. "You have a good salary, you can afford it." I knew I'd be retiring in a few years and wanted a payment I could make on my pension. I saw two different Weichert finance people, both very pushy about me spending higher. It go annoying, so I went to Wells Fargo, who asked me what I wanted my monthly payment to be and worked out a number I could use as a target price range. I ended up buying at about $30 below that number.

I've got a payment I can live with comfortably.

I find it appalling that some people who come from a top tier educational state like NJ can not spell a simple three letter word. Please do yourself and the rest of us a favor and go to the library and take out some "Dick and Jane" books. After a few months of "See Spot run" maybe you'll figure out how to spell a first grade word like "got".

Old 07-30-2016, 09:58 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I find it appalling that some people who come from a top tier educational state like NJ can not spell a simple three letter word. Please do yourself and the rest of us a favor and go to the library and take out some "Dick and Jane" books. After a few months of "See Spot run" maybe you'll figure out how to spell a first grade word like "got".

Hahaha, I'm usually the one clenching my teeth over bad spelling. Good one.

I can spell just fine, my friend. I am the person who walks around with a Sharpie correcting signs in the supermarket. What I can't always do is hit the right letters on a tiny phone keyboard with my big fingers and bad eyesight!

Old 07-31-2016, 12:36 AM

74 posts, read 73,932 times
As much as I love the convenience of NJ and all it has, I will never buy a house here. Everything is way too expensive and luckily I can earn practically the same income anywhere in the US. I refuse to pay $400-500k for a fixer-upper or settle for a town with an average school system and pay 10k and up in taxes. Buying a home in Northeastern NJ 2x your income in a decent town is impossible. I will miss my family/friends terribly though.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:21 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbound16 View Post
As much as I love the convenience of NJ and all it has, I will never buy a house here. Everything is way too expensive and luckily I can earn practically the same income anywhere in the US. I refuse to pay $400-500k for a fixer-upper or settle for a town with an average school system and pay 10k and up in taxes. Buying a home in Northeastern NJ 2x your income in a decent town is impossible. I will miss my family/friends terribly though.
You said Northastern New Jersey. You can buy a house for $250 and lower taxes in Southern New Jersey. Philadelphia is a real city with jobs, food and entertainment.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:00 AM

74 posts, read 73,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You said Northastern New Jersey. You can buy a house for $250 and lower taxes in Southern New Jersey. Philadelphia is a real city with jobs, food and entertainment.
I suppose. Technically we would consider that like an "out-of-state" move, since we would be 2 hours away from everyone/everything we know. NY, CT and PA are closer to us than South Jersey, lol. Haddonfield, Moorestown, Mullica Hill and Voorhees are beautiful though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey