Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:26 PM

34 posts, read 227,641 times

Advertisements

Nj girl here, born and raised. Here's an honest opinion from a native. Well, from my POV, New Jersey sucks. Seriously. I am finally ready to leave this place. I have hung on until now, because I really wanted my children to get to know their grandparents, especially my Mom. But after trying so hard to make it work forever, and not enjoying ourselves here... this young family is planning on hitting the road.

I was raised in Rahway, then moved to Woodbridge and spent my teenage years there. Close to everything, yes. Pretty? No. More like pretty trashy. Now I am located in Monmouth County (my dh is from here)- the town of which I will not say because being that open on a public forum gives me the heebie jeebies. It was nicer here, well different than where i came from anyhow, until all the farms got turned into mini-mansions which are primarily inhabited by people from SI and LI. Prices shot up as did the traffic, taxes, and anything else bad you can think of. Now the traffic here is just as bad as it was up north. Prices shot up fast, and we weren't one of the lucky ones who bought and sold at the right time. So here we are now, with a giant mortgage in a high traffic area...with not that much of an attraction honestly. I don't like it here, and honestly, I can't believe people commute all the way to NYC from here everyday. My dh did it for awhile, then got a new job. Though he still has a commute most places he goes (his job requires him to go to different locations), it's never as bad as when he worked in the city.

To make a long story short, I am tired of paying an astronomical mortgage and taxes for nothing. No scenic views....nothing culturally enriching...yes, you say, well go to NYC then! That's what they all say about NJ, "well, we're close to NY!" - unless you work in NYC and make $150k +++(or got in on a good price 5+ years ago here I guess, but you would still have the crazy taxes) - I don't see any point in being here. And I am just not a NYC gal. I took full advantage of the city as a teenager believe me...but as an adult I have no desire to go there, or work there. I respect those who do, as we all have our own dreams, but mine are different, that's all! I love cities and all they have to offer, but just not that one. Too ugly and gritty and concrete for me. And back to the original point - NJ has no real culture. Yes, we have the overcrowded beach with the trashy boardwalks that you can go to about three months out of the year, Yay! It's not enough. We have nothing great to call own own beside the beach really. Oh yeah, there's pork roll, pizza and bagels LOL LOL LOL - I think it is hilarious the "good" things people point out about NJ.

I'm not yet sure where we are going. My house is up for sale, and we are visiting California soon. I love scenic areas, my favorite place of all being southern California. I am also researching a few other areas as well. I am not sure whether to go with my dream of California and deal with high prices there as well (but the beauty to justify the price plus - renting a house in OC is CHEAPER than here, mtg is another story though lol) ....or go somewhere we can get a low mortgage on a lot of land lol. How's that for a decision? I don't dig rural areas, and cannot picture living somewhere that isn't on the coast though....my heart will always be in California, but it is a tough decision. If I didn't have kids already, I would have been long gone to Ca. But I have to weigh my decisions more carefully now.

I have two children, and I do not wish to raise them here, that much I know. It's just not worth all that it costs to be here, IMO. No way, no how. I drove cross country to California 10 yrs ago with my best friend, and it changed my life. I realized that there is so much more out there than just here.

I don't know why anyone would choose to move here from somewhere else, really I don't. But to each his own, right?

I will let you all know where I am going when I finally decide. I am hoping we will be able to sell this house by summer and make our move out of state!!!!

NJ truly is the armpit of the nation. Well...maybe that honor should go to Staten Island, but we sure are close behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 10:40 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,626 times
I hear you. My in laws live there, along with several friends of ours and they are all running for the Delaware border. The do not want to run here to Maryland, as we are going to be in the same boat that NJ is in, in just a couple of years. I own a townhome that was built in the 80's, I can sell it for 325K, that is ridiculous! We are looking at NC....good luck with your search

Old 04-30-2007, 10:46 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anywherebuthere View Post
Nj girl here, born and raised. Here's an honest opinion from a native. Well, from my POV, New Jersey sucks. Seriously. I am finally ready to leave this place. I have hung on until now, because I really wanted my children to get to know their grandparents, especially my Mom. But after trying so hard to make it work forever, and not enjoying ourselves here... this young family is planning on hitting the road.

I was raised in Rahway, then moved to Woodbridge and spent my teenage years there. Close to everything, yes. Pretty? No. More like pretty trashy. Now I am located in Monmouth County (my dh is from here)- the town of which I will not say because being that open on a public forum gives me the heebie jeebies. It was nicer here, well different than where i came from anyhow, until all the farms got turned into mini-mansions which are primarily inhabited by people from SI and LI. Prices shot up as did the traffic, taxes, and anything else bad you can think of. Now the traffic here is just as bad as it was up north. Prices shot up fast, and we weren't one of the lucky ones who bought and sold at the right time. So here we are now, with a giant mortgage in a high traffic area...with not that much of an attraction honestly. I don't like it here, and honestly, I can't believe people commute all the way to NYC from here everyday. My dh did it for awhile, then got a new job. Though he still has a commute most places he goes (his job requires him to go to different locations), it's never as bad as when he worked in the city.

To make a long story short, I am tired of paying an astronomical mortgage and taxes for nothing. No scenic views....nothing culturally enriching...yes, you say, well go to NYC then! That's what they all say about NJ, "well, we're close to NY!" - unless you work in NYC and make $150k +++(or got in on a good price 5+ years ago here I guess, but you would still have the crazy taxes) - I don't see any point in being here. And I am just not a NYC gal. I took full advantage of the city as a teenager believe me...but as an adult I have no desire to go there, or work there. I respect those who do, as we all have our own dreams, but mine are different, that's all! I love cities and all they have to offer, but just not that one. Too ugly and gritty and concrete for me. And back to the original point - NJ has no real culture. Yes, we have the overcrowded beach with the trashy boardwalks that you can go to about three months out of the year, Yay! It's not enough. We have nothing great to call own own beside the beach really. Oh yeah, there's pork roll, pizza and bagels LOL LOL LOL - I think it is hilarious the "good" things people point out about NJ.

I'm not yet sure where we are going. My house is up for sale, and we are visiting California soon. I love scenic areas, my favorite place of all being southern California. I am also researching a few other areas as well. I am not sure whether to go with my dream of California and deal with high prices there as well (but the beauty to justify the price plus - renting a house in OC is CHEAPER than here, mtg is another story though lol) ....or go somewhere we can get a low mortgage on a lot of land lol. How's that for a decision? I don't dig rural areas, and cannot picture living somewhere that isn't on the coast though....my heart will always be in California, but it is a tough decision. If I didn't have kids already, I would have been long gone to Ca. But I have to weigh my decisions more carefully now.

I have two children, and I do not wish to raise them here, that much I know. It's just not worth all that it costs to be here, IMO. No way, no how. I drove cross country to California 10 yrs ago with my best friend, and it changed my life. I realized that there is so much more out there than just here.

I don't know why anyone would choose to move here from somewhere else, really I don't. But to each his own, right?

I will let you all know where I am going when I finally decide. I am hoping we will be able to sell this house by summer and make our move out of state!!!!

NJ truly is the armpit of the nation. Well...maybe that honor should go to Staten Island, but we sure are close behind.
Umm...okay

Old 05-01-2007, 05:14 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Prices shot up as did the traffic, taxes, and anything else bad you can think of. Now the traffic here is just as bad as it was up north. Prices shot up fast, and we weren't one of the lucky ones who bought and sold at the right time. So here we are now, with a giant mortgage in a high traffic area...with not that much of an attraction honestly. <snip>

To make a long story short, I am tired of paying an astronomical mortgage and taxes for nothing. <snip> unless you work in NYC and make $150k +++(or got in on a good price 5+ years ago here I guess, but you would still have the crazy taxes) - <snip> Too ugly and gritty and concrete for me. <snip> My house is up for sale, and we are visiting California soon. I love scenic areas, my favorite place of all being southern California. I am also researching a few other areas as well. I am not sure whether to go with my dream of California and deal with high prices there as well (but the beauty to justify the price plus - renting a house in OC is CHEAPER than here, mtg is another story though lol) ....<snip> I have two children, and I do not wish to raise them here, that much I know. It's just not worth all that it costs to be here, IMO. No way, no how. I
I'm so laughing - you complain and moan about the cost of living here and the horrendous traffic, yet you want to move to SoCal. OMG! Yes, taxes are lower, but housing is twice as much for half the house. So, you'll pay an astronomical mortgage and taxes for....what? A view? Remember schools kinda suck there BECAUSE THE TAXES DON'T COVER THE PER PUPIL COST. Also, if I remember correctly, your taxes are 1% of your purchase price. If you're lucky enough to get a $700K house - your taxes are $7K. Then deal with 35 kids in a classroom and all the fees you'll have to pay (PTA's usually like families to donate about $200/kid per year at least to cover stuff the taxes can't). Oh, and it's hundreds, if not a thousand, to register your car there annually. Don't forget about gas prices! $3.50 a gal and climbing. Hopefully hubby isn't going to work in Los Angeles (which I guess isn't ugly and gritty.....oooookkkkkkaaaayyyyy) - you'll never see him. That traffic makes ours look like a joke.

But you've got it all figured out. Jersey sucks and SoCal is nirvana.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:47 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I'm so laughing - you complain and moan about the cost of living here and the horrendous traffic, yet you want to move to SoCal. OMG! Yes, taxes are lower, but housing is twice as much for half the house. So, you'll pay an astronomical mortgage and taxes for....what? A view? Remember schools kinda suck there BECAUSE THE TAXES DON'T COVER THE PER PUPIL COST. Also, if I remember correctly, your taxes are 1% of your purchase price. If you're lucky enough to get a $700K house - your taxes are $7K. Then deal with 35 kids in a classroom and all the fees you'll have to pay (PTA's usually like families to donate about $200/kid per year at least to cover stuff the taxes can't). Oh, and it's hundreds, if not a thousand, to register your car there annually. Don't forget about gas prices! $3.50 a gal and climbing. Hopefully hubby isn't going to work in Los Angeles (which I guess isn't ugly and gritty.....oooookkkkkkaaaayyyyy) - you'll never see him. That traffic makes ours look like a joke.

But you've got it all figured out. Jersey sucks and SoCal is nirvana.
You took the words right out of my mouth.....lol.

But remember- she took a trip across country there 10 years ago and it "changed her life".

I hope her kids habla espanol- if they don't they will soon, since thats practically the only thing spoken in the schools in SoCal anymore.......

Bob

Old 05-01-2007, 07:47 AM

34 posts, read 227,641 times
Forgive me for rambling a bit, can you tell I am rather stressed out??

My point in a nutshell though, is that it isn't worth it here for as expensive as it is. IMO that is. If NJ is your paradise, than so be it. Not everyone loves it here though!

I know that southern California is more expensive than here...but it is all relative to what is important to you in this life. I figure if I am going to pay exhorbitant prices, I mine as well do it where the weather is nice. It's a different way of life out there. LA is not all dirty and gritty like NYC. Yes, they have a downtown but it is vastly different on the whole! Sorry if I offended you, but we are all entitled to our own opinions. Plus, OC has very good schools, it isn't like LA. Expensive yes, a mess? No.

Remember, I also said this: I am also researching a few other areas as well. I am not sure whether to go with my dream of California and deal with high prices there as well (but the beauty to justify the price plus - renting a house in OC is CHEAPER than here, mtg is another story though lol) - I am not sure what to do. I just know here isn't the answer for us.

The place I live now has a huge problem with illegal immigrants..it's nothing new, you aren't going to escape that no matter what state you go to at this point. I am not trying to escape that. And though we are not fluent in spanish, my dh is half spanish. No, not illegal, but I still did not like the "I hope your children haba espanol" comment. Not cool. Very narrow minded.

Njrover0216 - good luck on your quest out of here, and thanks for being kind.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:52 AM

432 posts, read 1,879,150 times
Yes I am going too. Born and raised in Florida, and going back there. Leaving Bergen County after 20 years.

Not a good place to live, and not worth the struggle for a modest life.

My car insurance, health insurance, property taxes/insurance will all be less in north florida - well, not the HOI, but when you combine that with the property taxes, you can cut what I am paying here in half for twice the house.

I will probably get to NYC more often living there than I do here. Just no time for fun.

Anyway, good luck all.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:59 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:

And though we are not fluent in spanish, my dh is half spanish. No, not illegal, but I still did not like the "I hope your children haba espanol" comment. Not cool. Very narrow minded.
Not narrow minded at all- just realistic. If you think Monmouth County ( or even NJ in general, for that matter) has a "huge illegal immigrant problem", you're in for a rude awakening if you go to SoCal. Unless you can afford to live in a $2 million neighborhood and send your kids to $25k/year private schools, you ain't seen nothin' yet.....

My wife is originally from Southern California, and she still has relatives all over the area, from San Diego up to LA. We go out to visit every year or two, and spent a lot of time there when we lived in Vegas in the 90's. I can tell you that if you haven't been there in 10 years, you have no clue as to how much it's changed in that time period.

I hope your move works out for you- just don't go into it blindly due to your frustration with NJ.

Bob

Old 05-01-2007, 08:07 AM

522 posts, read 1,584,711 times
Anywhere,

I think your post that NJ sucks and is the armpit of the world was a bit harsh. That is YOUR opinion and mostly not shared on the NEW JERSEY forum. You will find posts that say they are leaving NJ for various reasons, economics primarily, but not because they feel like running down the state. Maybe you should check out the California boards and find people with similar sentiments over there? NJ is not for everyone, I personally love the state. I hope you find happiness in California. Good Luck on your move west

Old 05-01-2007, 08:11 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Forgive me for rambling a bit, can you tell I am rather stressed out??

My point in a nutshell though, is that it isn't worth it here for as expensive as it is. IMO that is. If NJ is your paradise, than so be it. Not everyone loves it here though!

I know that southern California is more expensive than here...but it is all relative to what is important to you in this life. I figure if I am going to pay exhorbitant prices, I mine as well do it where the weather is nice. It's a different way of life out there. LA is not all dirty and gritty like NYC. Yes, they have a downtown but it is vastly different on the whole! Sorry if I offended you, but we are all entitled to our own opinions. Plus, OC has very good schools, it isn't like LA. Expensive yes, a mess? No.

Remember, I also said this: I am also researching a few other areas as well. I am not sure whether to go with my dream of California and deal with high prices there as well (but the beauty to justify the price plus - renting a house in OC is CHEAPER than here, mtg is another story though lol) - I am not sure what to do. I just know here isn't the answer for us.

The place I live now has a huge problem with illegal immigrants..it's nothing new, you aren't going to escape that no matter what state you go to at this point. I am not trying to escape that. And though we are not fluent in spanish, my dh is half spanish. No, not illegal, but I still did not like the "I hope your children haba espanol" comment. Not cool. Very narrow minded.

Njrover0216 - good luck on your quest out of here, and thanks for being kind.
Believe me, I'm not at all offended. Pointing out major inconsistancies in your post does not equal offense. You were not clear originally, all you did was rant about cost and traffic and in the next breath saying you're moving to the place with nearly the highest cost of living with the worst traffic, and, what I heard today, worst pollution in the nation. And you call NJ the armpit, LOL. You do realize there's more to this place than the area you live in, right? Just like there are places in CA that would make Monmouth County seem like nirvana.

You sound so desperate that you can't see the forest for the trees, IMHO. I also find it laughable that you slammed another poster for their not so flattering opinion of the LA area. So, what do you do? Come here with the sole purpose of slamming NJ. Chain of pain, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey