U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:26 PM

1,885 posts, read 2,607,823 times
Blue laws do not control liquor sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 05:12 PM

1,057 posts, read 369,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Blue laws do not control liquor sales.
Well some law does. And I'd like to see it changed. It's silly that you can't purchase liquor after 10 p.m. in 2009.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:40 PM

587 posts, read 1,029,049 times
I think it is sooooooooooooo ridiculous that you can't buy beer or wine in the grocery store! WTH made up that law? I never heard of it before moving here- I hate going in the liquor store- it really skeeves me out.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:33 PM

At least we don't have it as bad as Pennsylvania. A trip to get a bottle of wine, a six pack and a case would involve going to three different places. You can't buy beer at a liquor store, and you can't buy cases of beer at places that sell six packs. And you can't buy smaller amounts of beer at distributor businesses where you can buy cases.

While New Jersey's liquor laws are a little outdated, they're far from the worst out there. When I lived in Florida, I liked being able to pick up some beer whenever I felt like it at a convenience store, gas station or even a CVS. Plus it was pretty convenient to buy wine at Publix or any other supermarket. There is actually a bill pending to allow supermarkets to sell beer/wine here, but it would be contingent on the current plenary distribution licensing system, so really unless a town's population went up the town couldn't auction off another license so there would be hardly any changes anyway.

Also, is there another state where municipalities get hundreds of thousands of dollars for liquor licenses? It seems it's not such a big deal for someone to open a bar/restaurant in other places and serve drinks. Hell, in NYC there are like 20 bars on every street.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:48 PM

26,154 posts, read 18,636,607 times
Paramus is probably what you're thinking of because they have all the malls, but the blue laws are in all of Bergen County. And no, we don't need that thread.

Most supermarkets sell beer and most of them are open 24 hours, even in Bergen County.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I think it is sooooooooooooo ridiculous that you can't buy beer or wine in the grocery store! WTH made up that law? I never heard of it before moving here- I hate going in the liquor store- it really skeeves me out.
Yes, you can, at least in the stores that have a liquor section. At the A&P in Midland Park you can buy beer, and it's open 24 hours except from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. Sundays. It can't be the only supermarket in the state like that.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Paramus is probably what you're thinking of because they have all the malls, but the blue laws are in all of Bergen County. And no, we don't need that thread.

Most supermarkets sell beer and most of them are open 24 hours, even in Bergen County.
I just realized I need to clarify that. Not all supermarkets have liquor stores in them and only the ones with liquor stores sell beer.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The way the current law is written, one or two supermarkets in each ownership chain can sell beer/wine. I forget the exact number. So, if you have a Pathmark that sells beer, that's one of their locations. The bigger issue, however, is that the state says local towns can only have so many plenary distribution licenses, which are based on residency. So even if more supermarkets per chain are allowed to sell beer/wine, each individual town must put that distribution license out to bid. It's a very dumb system, if you ask me.

I'm not sure why the state cares how many stores sell beer and wine, and what a town's population has to do with distribution licenses. For example, in Stafford Twp., the town itself doesn't have a huge population but Route 72, a major roadway with every retail store in existence runs through it. And people from all over come to shop there. Why should this town's distribution license cap be set by how many residents are in town? Why not let the market decide how many businesses can open and survive.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
The way the current law is written, one or two supermarkets in each ownership chain can sell beer/wine. I forget the exact number. So, if you have a Pathmark that sells beer, that's one of their locations. The bigger issue, however, is that the state says local towns can only have so many plenary distribution licenses, which are based on residency. So even if more supermarkets per chain are allowed to sell beer/wine, each individual town must put that distribution license out to bid. It's a very dumb system, if you ask me.

I'm not sure why the state cares how many stores sell beer and wine, and what a town's population has to do with distribution licenses. For example, in Stafford Twp., the town itself doesn't have a huge population but Route 72, a major roadway with every retail store in existence runs through it. And people from all over come to shop there. Why should this town's distribution license cap be set by how many residents are in town? Why not let the market decide how many businesses can open and survive.
I didn't know that about the supermarket chains. The A&P in Midland Park has the ONLY license in town to sell liquor. There are two restaurants that hold the licenses to serve liquor. That's it.

What are they accomplishing other than limiting competition with these laws? If an ordained alcoholic wants alcohol, it won't matter how many or how few stores there are, if that's what the powers that be are trying to control.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:18 PM

6,183 posts, read 2,028,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Why dont you just buy a case whenever you have off? Surely you don't work 7 days a week ALL during the hours that beer is sold? (11am-10pm?)

If you work that much you prob shouldn't be buying beer, but probably need to buy beer to make it through the endless week

Anyway, where abouts in nj?
Essex/Morris county. Just looking for a place I can buy a 6-pack when I get off usually between 11-1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey