Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 05:01 PM

636 posts, read 1,423,443 times

Advertisements

Any law that limits consumer freedom is stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 06:48 PM

109 posts, read 345,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
No they don't the NJ ABC does:

By A.B.C. regulation (N.J.A.C. 13:2-38), no retail licensee may sell spirituous liquors in original containers
(package goods) before 9:00 a.m. and after 10:00 p.m. on any day of the week. Municipalities can further
limit these hours by ordinance or referendum and frequently do so as far as Sunday mornings are concerned;
however, by State statue (N.J.S.A. 33:1-40.3), retail licensees can sell wine and malt beverage products in
original containers (package goods) at any time the municipality has permitted the sale of alcoholic
beverages by the drink. In cities of the first class (namely, Jersey City and Newark), however, pursuant to
N.J.S.A. 33:1-40.3, the package good sales of all alcoholic beverages may occur only between 9:00 a.m. and
10:00 p.m. and may even be further restricted by local municipal ordinance. To be certain as to restrictions
on hours of sale, the licensee must check with their respective municipality.
Well, that's odd. There is a liquor store by my parent's house in Roxbury that is open till midnight every night. It is not a bar either, just a straight up liquor store

Old 09-09-2009, 07:10 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
supermarket by me sells beer too. You cant buy liquor after 10 or beer after 11 PM regardless tho.
I didn't realize there was a time restriction on beer as well as liquor. The OP better buy it in the morning then, before he goes to work.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:20 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proboscis View Post
Well, that's odd. There is a liquor store by my parent's house in Roxbury that is open till midnight every night. It is not a bar either, just a straight up liquor store
Well, don't spill the beans on it.

They're probably just not following the law, and the community tends to like it that way!

Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
They can stay open but can only sell beer or wine. Most choose to close at 10pm

Old 09-10-2009, 11:36 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I didn't realize there was a time restriction on beer as well as liquor. The OP better buy it in the morning then, before he goes to work.
There isn't, it may just be the store's policy.
At bars package good beer can be sold up to closing time and closing time can be anywhere up to 3AM depending on what town you are in

Old 02-04-2012, 12:43 AM

1 posts, read 14,799 times
Default north begen, west new york NJ, Kearny

There are two liquor stores that sell beer and wine till 2 am on 60th st and park ave in West New York. Also town liquors on bergenline ave in North Bergen till 3am and also another liquor store on kearny ave in kearny till11pm they all serve at regular prices except for town liquors they're a little higher but still cheaper than package goods at any bar these places have saved many a party for us

Old 02-04-2012, 09:34 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
I was wondering the same thing.

There is a liquor store in the town my parents live in. Went in there late one night (11pm-ish?) and they were open and selling. I noticed two tiny tables in the far wall and one had a patron seated and drinking. So now I wonder about the boundaries of a "bar" and if a bar is (1) merely the ones we are familiar with/ traditional bar, or (2) any type of establishment that can serve liquor, or (3) one that allows liquor to be purchased and consumed on the premises (once opened), or (4) something else?

Old 02-04-2012, 09:52 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I was wondering the same thing.

There is a liquor store in the town my parents live in. Went in there late one night (11pm-ish?) and they were open and selling. I noticed two tiny tables in the far wall and one had a patron seated and drinking. So now I wonder about the boundaries of a "bar" and if a bar is (1) merely the ones we are familiar with/ traditional bar, or (2) any type of establishment that can serve liquor, or (3) one that allows liquor to be purchased and consumed on the premises (once opened), or (4) something else?
Bars can stay open till 2am in NJ. And I guess as long as they only sell beer and not hard liquor it is OK.

In North Brunswick, there is the Krauszers on the corner of Livingston Ave and Cranbury Cross Rd that sells beer all night long, but nothing else. Anyone that went to Rutgers knows this. I have gone there for beer runs way past midnight very often and have gotten in and out no problems. And they always have cops in the parking lot there during this time too, probably to make sure nothing gets out of hand.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:48 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Bars can stay open till 2am in NJ. And I guess as long as they only sell beer and not hard liquor it is OK.
This little place that I entered was selling hard liquor too. Maybe it's something with the municipalities since they differ town-to-town.

Otherwise, maybe I am ratting on someone and I certainly don't want to be a rat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey