U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:11 PM

14 posts, read 24,792 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Need some opinions and help - my fiance and I are looking to buy either a townhouse or single family home in central/northern NJ as a starter house as we plan to get married next year!

A little more information - we are in our mid 20's so we want to live in a younger neighborhood --- with a downtown area nearby, safety is a concern as well, and a good school system for our future kids...2 bedroom, 1-2baths place would suffice.

My fiance prefers a town house community with a pool, etc..

My question: pros/cons between buying a townhouse vs single family home?

I work in NYC/ she works in Linden - so we prefer a location near train and near the garden state parkway...

any suggestions which towns we should look at? price range btwn 300-400k.

Last edited by bru33; 09-08-2009 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: more information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 12:38 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,423,305 times
Westfield would fit, but I'm not sure what is there in your price range.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:49 PM

thanks.. which part of Westfield should I look at? I'm not really familiar with that town?

Old 09-08-2009, 12:51 PM

22,780 posts, read 28,659,135 times
i am in a similar situation as far as debating the community vs isolated home situation. im hoping by choosing a community it will be easier to cultivate relationships with neighbors and i wont feel isolated in my castle. there are certain tradeoffs (private property, my own pool) that i havent fully come to accept by i do tend to think the community situation would be better.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:52 PM

also, would Scotch Plains or Cranford be better options? I heard there are more townhouse developments in those towns? is that true?

Old 09-08-2009, 01:06 PM

CaptainNJ: We're leaning towards the comunity situation right now as well.. maybe 5-8 years down the line as we get older will want to move into an isolated home sitation.. but right now without any kids we are leaning towards a townhouse

but what about the resale value of a townhouse vs single family?

Old 09-08-2009, 01:09 PM

luckyshoes: I checked around to see if Westfield is in our price range... doesn't look like it... atleast I can't find any townhouses up to 400K...

Old 09-08-2009, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,538 times
We have a 2 bedroom, 2.5 bath townhouse in Belleville (border of Clifton). The community is 3 years young with a clubhouse and a heated outdoor pool. Lots of young adults starting families, very easy to meet people. We go to Montclair (about 8 minutes away for bars and restaurants). The place is all updated with light fixures, hard wood floors, granite, etc. Please contact me if you are interested.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:40 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,423,305 times
If you're only in your mid-20s (so young!) why don't you just try to rent for now? (Maybe try Westfield or Hoboken if you want a downtown feeling. Maybe even NYC itself if your fiance could do the reverse commute)

The one thing that concerns me about your post is that it sounds like this is truly a starter home for you, and you hope to be moving on in the future.

This is just my opinion, but I'm not sure you want to be buying right now under those conditions, especially a 2 br. You could outgrow a 2 br so quickly, you wouldn't believe it. Again, this is just my opinion, but you might be better off to hunker down in a rental, save lots of money, and wait until you can buy a forever house, in a town that you really like.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:03 PM

Good point luckyshoes... my only concern with a rental is I hate living above and below people...in a condo/apt... no privacy, and the noise... however, westfield is really nice.. my fiance loves that town.. can you recommend anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or