Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 05:47 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,640 times

Advertisements

I was coming from school when I saw a bunch of traffic around Raymond Blvd, University and Washington Ave. A bus had crashed around Raymond and University Ave so there was no traffic moving going downtown. On top of that, this happened...

Video: Man fatally stabbed at Newark downtown intersection - NJ.com

When I passed by there, I thought somebody got shot because sometime back, somebody had shot up Broad and Market. But this time, some kids or whoever because usually around Broad and Market, there's all these kids, all these guys standing around, loitering up to something. I kind of get uncomfortable around there and I don't like to stand around that bus stop. One side of the street was blocked off and worst off, they had the homicide detectives standing there. There was also the morgue truck there too. This is the second week in a row that I've passed by a crime scene in Newark. The other one was that little girl that got shot around Springfield and Irvine Turner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 05:51 PM

Funny thing is usually all that hectic type of traffic that happened in Downtown Newark today usually occurs when the Devil games are going on due to the amount of people that crowd the streets mostly around Penn Station. You see lots and lots of police presence. I've noticed this from the time it opened. But when you go up towards Broad and Market, there's NO POLICE. Moderator cut: inflammatory

Last edited by tahiti; 09-08-2009 at 09:02 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 06:04 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
Just another day in the jungle. My condolences to the victim's family.

I'm happy to see the one handgun a month is having profound affects...NOT.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Just another day in the jungle. My condolences to the victim's family.

I'm happy to see the one handgun a month is having profound affects...NOT.

To me, that's just sad though. I remember somebody I know got robbed across the street from the Prudential Arena, there was a Devil's game that was going on around the time they got robbed and it took the police 30 minutes to show up. Like for real, all these people serious. You're willing to bring the whole police force for a bunch of out of towners around the Prudential Center but none of them can't go across Market Street to save my relative? She shouldn't even have to call the cops. They should have been right there.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
You're willing to bring the whole police force for a bunch of out of towners
i guess the question is do they want out of towners to visit or not. seems like they do. the locals arent doing anything to improve the area, out of towners are the only hope newark has.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:16 PM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Me, I can now comment about Newark as I was there last Friday for a wedding.

Very nice from the 22nd floor at the Newark Club.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Me, I can now comment about Newark as I was there last Friday for a wedding.

Very nice from the 22nd floor at the Newark Club.
i think i may have been there for my cousin's bar mitzvah. cocktail hour on the first floor? look out the window and its a dump right? i could be wrong.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:22 PM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think i may have been there for my cousin's bar mitzvah. cocktail hour on the first floor? look out the window and its a dump right? i could be wrong.
Right, Cocktail hour on the first floor. The area around there from what I can see is nice.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:23 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
To me, that's just sad though. I remember somebody I know got robbed across the street from the Prudential Arena, there was a Devil's game that was going on around the time they got robbed and it took the police 30 minutes to show up. Like for real, all these people serious. You're willing to bring the whole police force for a bunch of out of towners around the Prudential Center but none of them can't go across Market Street to save my relative? She shouldn't even have to call the cops. They should have been right there.
Dude, there's too much crime in Newark for the police to just "be there" all the time. If you want a personal army of cops outside your house, what about the guy a block away who would be getting robbed. You could probably put the damn US Army in Newark and it wouldn't make a difference.

The "community" in that city determines its own fate. If people were there for their children, they wouldn't feel the need to join gangs. If fathers stuck around, the mothers wouldn't have to work 24/7 and the kids wouldn't get into trouble. If people didn't justify drug dealing as a career choice so as to not work for "the man" who's bringing you down, crime rates would plummet. If people realized the cops were there to fight crime and the "stop snitching" campaign ended, perhaps we'd rid the streets of some bad apples. The reason why murders in the 'burbs are solved in a few days is because people COOPERATE with the police.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Right, Cocktail hour on the first floor. The area around there from what I can see is nice.
yeah? it was a few years ago so i can barely remember. where we entered it was a normal urban area that looked fine. looking out the window i believe i saw some kind of old train tracks type thing. it was a very big room. i had a great time. it also qualifies me to speak about newark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey