Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 05:58 PM

560 posts, read 536,685 times

Advertisements

hey you all, I wanted to ask out there if any of you heard or/and used this company: total remodeling based out of union...they did a stop by and talked my husband into doing a free quote on siding, windows and potentially kitchen renovation.

Want to know the good, so-so, the bad about them! fill me in please
on a side note, we're located in Branchburg, so i thought it's a bit odd for them to do a canvess way out of their neighborhood as union is bit of a hike to us. Is that the norm?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,628 times
Angry Total Remodeling.......Scam!

I really hope you did not fall victim to this?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:33 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,225,220 times
yea i would send them on their way. fast. about 7-8 years ago i saw an ad for a job that said "have fun in the sun and make big $". i thought maybe there was some travel involved. turns out there was. travel on foot from door to door, telling people that their houses look like **** and they need new siding.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:59 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,116,705 times
I met with Total Remodeling before, a few things really left a bad taste in my mouth when dealing with them:

- they insisted that both my husband I be home before they come over (this way I can't use 'I gotta check with my husband' line)
- they wasted 3 whole hours of my time on a weekend with a high-pressured sales presentation about their company and product
- they asked what was my budget so they can gauge how much they can swindle out of me
- they told me if I sign a contract today, I can save 10%, valid only that day
- they called me every 2 weeks afterwards despite me saying I'm not interested

Shady!

Old 12-26-2011, 11:45 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,520,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
I met with Total Remodeling before, a few things really left a bad taste in my mouth when dealing with them:

- they insisted that both my husband I be home before they come over (this way I can't use 'I gotta check with my husband' line)
- they wasted 3 whole hours of my time on a weekend with a high-pressured sales presentation about their company and product
- they asked what was my budget so they can gauge how much they can swindle out of me
- they told me if I sign a contract today, I can save 10%, valid only that day
- they called me every 2 weeks afterwards despite me saying I'm not interested

Shady!
funny, i just met with one of their salesmen to talk about a basement remodel for me. i have a finished basement and want to put a bedroom and full bath in there. the only thing i see the guy didnt do was ask a budget. he gave me the estimate before asking me about my cost preferences. im not sure about the every 2 weeks calls since im not there yet. he was really looking for me to commit right there and eventually i had to say that continuous pushing does the opposite of making me want to commit.

he is the first company ive met with and i had no idea what it would cost. his estimate was basically 50k. i was just searching to see if anyone had any experience with their work and any idea of costs for such a job.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:27 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,294,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
he is the first company ive met with and i had no idea what it would cost. his estimate was basically 50k. i was just searching to see if anyone had any experience with their work and any idea of costs for such a job.
haven't seen the job, obviously, but $50k to add a bedroom and bath sounds insanely high- like 2x high or more.....

Old 12-27-2011, 02:19 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,822,404 times
Default reply

Check the Better Business Bureau website. They have 2 iistings & a total of 10 complaints filed.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:36 AM

my feeling about them is that they probably do a good job, but they charge a lot of money for it. they use the high pressure sale technique and it probably works for them. for me, its insanity to agree with someone on the spot like that but i feel like a decent amount of people do go for it. enough that they can get regular work from it, even though people overpay.

i saw another guy last night. it was a friend recommendation, cant find anything online about the company. much different experience. was in my house less than half the time, spent almost all the time going over the job and asking questions about our preferences and said he would get back to use with a quote. so no sales pitch, no pressure, focused on the job and didnt spend an house telling us how great his company is. im curious what his quote will be, i wish i could get some online feedback for his work.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:04 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,822,404 times
Default reply

Ask to see other jobs they've done in your area. Ask to speak to other customers for which they've done similar jobs.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 AM

i finally got a price from another contractor. this one came recommended by a friend.

he quoted me $13,825. that doesnt include fixtures, tile, etc. things that can vary a lot based on choices. the total remodeling quote included 5k for that portion, so the equivalent comparison is 45k.

much lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: