Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:21 AM

13 posts, read 41,376 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I was born and raised in Irvington. The time I lived there was different than now... My time in Irvington was spent having block parties, playing jump rope and witnessing the birth of hip hop... Union Avenue was still K-8 and although I was the monority (irish/puertorican), I never witnessed a racial division. I understand and see how the crack epidemic has ruined the town and how recovery has not been met..... It is said.
I left Irvington in 1990 and will be returning for the 1st time next week. I have contacted old friends who have parents living in the area still... I have been advised by ALL to steer clear. Problem is, my husband wants to see where I grew up and the places I visited as a child... I want to as well. Sooooooooooo, what to do?? I will not be staying in Irvington for my visit as all my family has since moved away. I did want to drive through though... Any advice for this Irvington native? It has been a while!

Last edited by Cant4GetNJ; 09-16-2009 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Specifics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 09:23 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
im not sure what you are asking for. you want to know where you can rent an armored car and security detail?

Old 09-16-2009, 09:29 AM

Default Coming back to Irvington

What I am asking is, is it safe to drive through? I do have some family that lives across the street from Irvington Park. I want to see them but I do remember the park being off limits to me as a child....

Old 09-16-2009, 10:22 AM

98 posts, read 268,953 times
If you don't mind the crackheads spitting on your windshield as you drive down Mill Road, it's all good. Some things, as they say, are better off as a memory. Even more recently, Springfield, Union (Five Points), Millburn have all taken a nosedive. The good ol' days of dad working, and mom staying home with the kids are GONE. Now it's single welfare trash moms that drop litters of kids in the name of more welfare benfits, ill-equipped to raise kids, hence the lack of respect and amoral behavior of their offspring. And dad? He's in jail or leading da thug life, getting other women he *loves* pregnant, or selling dope on some street corner. We're all quick to assume that these statements are racist, but here's my question: What WHITE person would voluntarily move to these areas and send their kids through the public schools? I didn't think so either.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:48 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,618,761 times
lock your doors!

Old 09-16-2009, 10:50 AM

Default SO Sad

When I grew up there, I was the only white girl at Union Avenue.... Being born and raised there, maybe I didn't notice color but there were no racial issues between me and my friends. (And I did have many) At the time though, the crime wasn't as bad. Chancellor Avenue still had Roxy Drug Store, Franks Pizza, Suzy's Sub Shop and the Bagel Shop was there.... Crime has destroyed Irvington. The park I played at on Paine Avenue was always filled with kids and we were always outside playing.....until the street lights came on. While there were more single moms than families, everyone looked out for each other and the parents were involved. It's sad to know that in such a short time, things have declined so rapidly... Thanks for the head's up.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:51 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler77 View Post
. Some things, as they say, are better off as a memory. .
Take this on faith. I was raised in Newark, and several years ago DH and I decided to take a trip to the area I lived in. I wish I hadn't done it. Aside from the fact we were lucky to get out with our lives, it was heartbreaking to see what happened to the old 'hood.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:13 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
Just go during the day and you'll be fine.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:45 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Just go during the day and you'll be fine.
Seriously, +1.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:46 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Take this on faith. I was raised in Newark, and several years ago DH and I decided to take a trip to the area I lived in. I wish I hadn't done it. Aside from the fact we were lucky to get out with our lives, it was heartbreaking to see what happened to the old 'hood.
did you take a stroll around at 1AM or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey