Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2006, 02:07 PM

502 posts, read 2,295,389 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Woodbridge from NY and my husband has a choice of taking a job in either North Brunswick or Englewood. I have 2 kids so school is very important. I've been told that Englewood would be the better choice. However, my husband's coworkers say that North Brunswick has a better school district than Englewood. I am leaning toward Englewood but my husband is leaning toward North Brunswick. If he takes the offer in North Brunswick, I don't see the sense in moving out of Woodbridge since my husband will only be a 15 minute drive from his job. I would only move if North Brunswick's school district is better then Woodbridge.

Can anyone shed some light? Which of the three towns I've mentioned a better place to live?

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions. And by the way, I commute to NY for work. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2006, 02:11 PM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella
I just moved to Woodbridge from NY and my husband has a choice of taking a job in either North Brunswick or Englewood. I have 2 kids so school is very important. I've been told that Englewood would be the better choice. However, my husband's coworkers say that North Brunswick has a better school district than Englewood. I am leaning toward Englewood but my husband is leaning toward North Brunswick. If he takes the offer in North Brunswick, I don't see the sense in moving out of Woodbridge since my husband will only be a 15 minute drive from his job. I would only move if North Brunswick's school district is better then Woodbridge.

Can anyone shed some light? Which of the three towns I've mentioned a better place to live?

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions. And by the way, I commute to NY for work. Thanks
I lived in Woodbridge for 5 yrs. I dont think there schools are that great. Big drug problems in Woodbridge. My friends kids got hooked in 9th. grade Last I was in North Brunswick it was very nice. I saw upscale beautiful neighborhoods. I have never been to Englewood. The train out of Woodbridge is great though. My husband traveled that train to Manhattan for many yrs. Anyway, just my opinion

Old 07-18-2006, 07:27 AM

Default Englewood Vs. N. Brunswick

I never heard anything about there being a drug problem in Woodbridge. That is pretty scary. I am so sorry for your friend. That truly is a mother's nightmare. The good thing is that my kids are only 3 and 4 so that isn't something I have to worry about for a while.

I figured my children would have more opportunities in Bergen County since the schools there have more money. Also, part of the offer my husband has includes a rent free townhouse near Englewood Cliffs which I hear is very beautiful. He would also get the same in N. Brunswick and I went for a drive yesterday in N. Brunswick and it seems nice but that doesn't tell the whole story. I have to do some research on the internet to compare school ratings, which I dread because those reports never help me; I find them so confusing. Anyway, thanks for your input and stay cool. It is going up to 97 degrees today!

Old 07-18-2006, 02:15 PM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella
I never heard anything about there being a drug problem in Woodbridge. That is pretty scary. I am so sorry for your friend. That truly is a mother's nightmare. The good thing is that my kids are only 3 and 4 so that isn't something I have to worry about for a while.

I figured my children would have more opportunities in Bergen County since the schools there have more money. Also, part of the offer my husband has includes a rent free townhouse near Englewood Cliffs which I hear is very beautiful. He would also get the same in N. Brunswick and I went for a drive yesterday in N. Brunswick and it seems nice but that doesn't tell the whole story. I have to do some research on the internet to compare school ratings, which I dread because those reports never help me; I find them so confusing. Anyway, thanks for your input and stay cool. It is going up to 97 degrees today!
I left Woodbridge when my kids were 3 and 1. My Hubby was born and raised and lived there for 40 yrs. I really liked North Brunswick. Before I came to the town I'm in now I went and kinda hung out. I went all around, neighborhood parks, the mall, lunch out. I walked my dog on the block I was interested in. And then again, everything could change within a day. It's really a crap-shoot. LOL It feels like 105 outside today

Old 07-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Wah

21 posts, read 86,228 times
I grew up in Englewood Cliffs... nice town! Its near everything... 5 min from the george washington bridge into NYC, 15 min from good shopping (paramus), lots of restaurants in neighboring towns. Location-wise, it can't be beat. You'll never be bored. The only thing missing is space (expensive property) and a high school.... They have elementary and middle schools, but no high school... so if you have kids, they would have to go to dwight morrow in englewood (which most, if not all, do not b/c it supposed to be horrible) or private school (Dwight Englewood is right there... supposed to be a great $$$$chool). Basically, if you are really concerned about schools, expect to pay a good amount of money for private education after the 8th grade.

Is this townhouse IN Englewood Cliffs or NEAR Englewood Cliffs (but still in Englewood)? I think that would make a big difference in terms of the school system your kids would go to. But like I said, after 8th grade, its all about private school... (Dwight Englewood, Bergen Catholic, Horace Mann-NY, Riverdale-NY, Fieldston-NY)

If you are looking for a good school district, check out neighboring towns Tenafly or Fort Lee. I believe those are both really good. But, obviously this means you would have to pay for housing...

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2006, 07:49 PM

103 posts, read 394,955 times
Default Definitely Englewood

Awesome school system, safe neighborhoods and everything you could think you need. And everything surrounding Englewood is nice! Englewood is going to be more expensive but with kids I think it is the best choice.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:08 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
I live in Woodbridge (the Iselin section), and grew up here as well. The schools are still good (though North Brunswick may be slightly better), and I'm a little suprised that Patty would say there are "big drug problems" here- there are, and have always been, kids that will do drugs (pot more than anything), but to classify that as a "drug problem" is like saying there's a "big crime problem" because a house gets broken into.

Your hubby's commute to North Brunswick will likely be more than 15 minutes, but it still won't be too bad. I don't know much about Englewood, but from what I have seen, I think I'd pick Woodbridge or North Brunswick over it. You'll probably get the most affordable housing in Woodbridge, while NB tends to be more newer McMansions.

IMHO, I'd stay where you are- especially since home prices are still so over-inflated. You'd still be buying near the height of the market.

Bob

Old 08-22-2006, 08:58 AM

Default Thanks for all of your responses

Well, it is final. We've made a decision and we are moving to Englewood. The opportunity is too great to pass up. We won't be paying rent and utilities and my commute to NYC will be less expensive than it is now so if I need to put the kids in private school as they get older, it won't be so difficult to do. I 'm excited about moving to Englewood. I will be living near many great restaurants and a nice shopping area and near to John Harms Center for the Arts! It reminds me of Manhattan, only it is prettier and cleaner. http://www.mjnewsonline.com/board/images/smilies/wave.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey