Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:00 PM

39 posts, read 123,738 times

Advertisements

By the way,--- I did coincidentally meet a woman who taught at RB Primary school and she said it is full of dedicated teachers & is a safe, nice place. When asked if she would send her children there she responded that she wasn't sure if she would or not. She said she felt hypocritical to say that. She stated that a larger portion of the day is spent on ESL/English learning than other schools. She lives in Middletown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 05:53 AM

On What streets are the "downtown" areas of FH and LS located?
Is FH's downtown River Road?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:53 AM

31 posts, read 63,922 times
hi there valvalg...we're in a very similar situation. we're a young couple, no kids yet, but planning on it very very soon, so schools are very impt to us, but after living in NYC and moving to the suburbs (renting in freehold right now) i really miss having a downtown! we just visited RB last weekend, they were having The Taste of Red Bank, a little festival that they just started this year where you could sample many of the area restaurants. We LOVED it there. I love the small town feel. I'd say the main downtown is from 100 Broad St up to the river, the cross streets surrounding it, and E and W Front St.

Check out the site schoolmatters.com - a fabulous free site that gives you all the info you'd ever want on any school incl the demographics, test scores and comparisons to the rest of the state/country. I think based on this info, we're probably looking to move to FH or LS. our dream house would still be w/in walking distance to the downtown, but we'll see what we find. if we do move to RB, we'd have to buy a lower priced house b/c we'd probably want to send our kids to private, at least for elem school...that's what i've been thinking.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:55 AM

oh yeah, we drove around LS and FH, and i really don't think their downtowns can be compared to RB...that's just my opinion though

Old 09-24-2009, 11:43 AM

naadmire,
Welcome to my world : ) I agree about schools. Private schools are possible but of course have to be worked into the financial equation. We will end up looking more in FH and LS probably and like you said try to get as close to RB as we can. I did drive through LS today and the downtown is cute.
I don't think anyone would try to imply it's anything like Rb but at least there's something! Keep in touch! Do you know what price range you will be looking in? : )

Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 AM

we're looking in the 600K range... i do love that whole area including FH and LS...i think we could definitely be happy in one of the surrounding towns, including shrewsbury. when are you looking to buy?

Old 09-24-2009, 11:52 AM

390 posts, read 1,510,361 times
I guess you heard of the RB Middle school teacher allegedly killed by her husband also a middle school teacher few days ago. Stunned the school district. They had to close the middle school for a day.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:03 PM

While not within walking distance to RB I think Oceanport is another possibility. Home prices less expensive than FH and LS.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBone View Post
While not within walking distance to RB I think Oceanport is another possibility. Home prices less expensive than FH and LS.
I have not had anything come up for Oceanport at all.

naadmire- you're in a better range than us. We're downsizing and are looking around 500K. I'm sure you'll find something nice! : )

Old 09-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvalg View Post
I have not had anything come up for Oceanport at all.
That's surprising. I passed several for sale signs today. Maybe prices in Oceanport are higher than I thought or none fit your screening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey