Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:58 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,635,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Well, on #2, I don't blame the agent on that. Your agent could have called for the info.

As far as #1, well, that's just annoying.

Don't expect much from buyers agents.

Do your own research, tell them what MLS reports you want sent on a weekly basis. Ask them to make the appointments.

When you get close to making an offer, do your own comp research as well as asking them for specific comp reports they have access to.

Most of them are just glorified tour guides and should be treated as such. And move on as you wish. That's the great part of being a buyer, you can go through 10 agents if you feel like it.
I have gone through the same things over the years........Some in this state or that.......Isn't it sad that they get the huge commission for being just the tour guide for the day.......The money is too great for such little work. PS........and I know, the other things they do, and how it is split......but still. Too much for so little, and rudeness to boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 06:12 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,517,930 times
Half of them can't even do basic mental math. It's embarrassing. When you combine that with, say, habitual lying, then you can see why many of us have little respect for the profession.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:46 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,950,080 times
I had one that couldn't find her way to the houses she was trying to show us! It was awesome. She had a GPS and everything and she still couldn't do it. She used to follow US around town.

She was so fired after one afternoon.

We had another one who would literally try to get us to sign the contract, by pulling our hand over to the paper. She'd be like "See you just sign here, and then I just attach the check on the back. It's so easy!"

Also fired.

Then we had a listing agent who we fired because he stood us up, and he sat outside my door knocking knocking knocking until I called his broker and told him to get this clown off my front step.

It must be so embarassing for the good realtors out there that the bar is so low to enter the profession.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:58 AM

744 posts, read 1,405,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
It must be so embarassing for the good realtors out there that the bar is so low to enter the profession.
There's a bar???

Old 09-25-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post
There's a bar???
LOL

yes, you have to have a pulse from what I hear

Old 09-25-2009, 03:12 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,635,672 times
Can you imagine the Realtor who took the couple to my home to "look again" when our closing was the next day.......and I was to close then on a home for ourselves! That she would " look surprised"......HELLO!! No one said the closing wouldn't come about, and I loose my contracted home tomorrow also........My surprise really........No Realtor told me different.
This same Realtor took our neighbors to a home to see " if " they liked it. After they said they would have to think on it she said.....' Oh, you have wasted my time"........I said to my neighbors.......
Was it ------ perhaps? YES, it was. I just could envision her saying that.......and I got it right on the nose. I just can't stand trying to find the right one. It is so difficult........
They need good skills, they need to be organized, to listen and find the right match........Instead it is the dollar signs. So annoying.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:14 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,517,930 times
We had one broker pretend to take a call with another bid for the house we were looking at.

Another broker couldn't subtract 25 from 831.

One broker said we were stupid because we "overimproved" our home.

Another broker trying to get a listing from us brought a group of thirty brokers into the house to set the price. They loudly started insulting the house and laughing at my furniture.

Another broker refused to take our calls when our buyer didn't turn in their deposit, and would never admit that the deal fell through. She also never told us that this buyer was notorious in town for that behavior. Good thing for us she was stupid enough to neglect to have us sign the listing agreement.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:31 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,658,166 times
I think one of the problems with the real estate industry is that the buyers agent is paid by the seller, or the seller's agency. I think that is absolutely absurd. I'm surprised its even legal. This is also a clever way of forcing buyers to have buyer's agents because the listing agency essentially forces the buyer to have an agent(or to pay the price for representation and have none). And it is an obvious conflict of interest. If buyer paid buyers agent and seller paid sellers agent, I bet commissions would go down as well. Just looking around I see all kind of shady dealings, such as seller offering buyer's agent a bonus which increases the higher the offer etc.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I think one of the problems with the real estate industry is that the buyers agent is paid by the seller, or the seller's agency. I think that is absolutely absurd. I'm surprised its even legal. This is also a clever way of forcing buyers to have buyer's agents because the listing agency essentially forces the buyer to have an agent(or to pay the price for representation and have none). And it is an obvious conflict of interest. If buyer paid buyers agent and seller paid sellers agent, I bet commissions would go down as well. Just looking around I see all kind of shady dealings, such as seller offering buyer's agent a bonus which increases the higher the offer etc.
Oh yeah. It's the MLS Monopoly. They got a lock on the buyers and that's it.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 4,273 times
This is my question: If I'm looking in several towns do I get a realtor for each town b/c it seems as if the realtor I know (and love) doesn't know the areas well when we look outside his comfort zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey