Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:57 AM

5 posts, read 10,679 times

Advertisements

I need info on McGuire Air Force base and the surrounding area. We are considering living on base but I'd rather rent off base. What towns have good school districts, shopping, etc. I am German ( that's where we are stationed at still) and I'm afraid the base will be too secluded. Any info is very much appreciated. TIA.

Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 09:48 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
I wonder if you'd consider Southampton to the base a manageable commute. That happens to be my favorite area in the general vicinity of McGuire. That also lands you in the Lenape school district, which is very highly rated. Another quaint area is New Egypt.

I would NOT suggest Wrightstown, in my opinion. It is your typical hardscrabble military town.

Last edited by mike0421; 09-22-2009 at 10:17 AM..

Old 09-22-2009, 10:15 AM

Thank you! I will look into that. I'm sure I will have a culture shock going from Germany to NJ..LOL

Old 09-22-2009, 10:24 AM

563 posts, read 1,286,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desann04 View Post
Thank you! I will look into that. I'm sure I will have a culture shock going from Germany to NJ..LOL
Lots of Germans here, don't worry

Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Quote:
I am not so sure it will be as much of a culture shock as you think it will. When it comes to population density, many areas of Germany would be comparable to NJ. True, McGuire is in one of the most isolated areas of NJ, but if you drive 30 minutes west, you will be in the area of about 800-900 people per square mile. If you are coming from a more dense area of Germany, such as North Rhine, you might find this area of NJ to be sparsely populated, but if you hail from another less dense area, you might find the amount of culture shock to be less than anticipated.

My new next door neighbors relocated from Germany to New Mexico. That type of culture shock is much more pronounced.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:46 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,015 times
I agree, Southampton is a nice town, but I'm not sure how many rentals are there.

North of McGuire, Chesterfield and Mansfield are nice and I believe they have a good school district too.

For shopping, it depends where you are. North of McGuire, you'll probably head up to Hamilton for shopping. There is a big mall on Rte 130 that has pretty much everything you could need.

If you want to walk around a town, then you would head to Princeton, which might be a bit of a drive. Bordentown also has a little downtown with a few cute restaurants.

I think it's lovely around that area by the way. Not sure about the base itself, but that general area of northern Burlington County. Still has open space, big open skies. It's not the super-crowded congested Jersey like up around NYC. They also seem to get less snow than the northern part of the state. Also, it's not too far to get to the beach (maybe 45 minutes).

(You'll definitely both need cars by the way if you're living off-base.)

Old 09-24-2009, 09:39 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,627,673 times
Quote:
I need info on McGuire Air Force base and the surrounding area. We are considering living on base but I'd rather rent off base. What towns have good school districts, shopping, etc. I am German ( that's where we are stationed at still) and I'm afraid the base will be too secluded. Any info is very much appreciated. TIA.

Sandy
I worked on McGuire. For good schools and shopping I suggest Medford, it's a further drive but that's where many officers live. Mount laurel isn't bad neither. Shopping wise, that's pretty much the only convenient area that isn't so far.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:20 AM

49 posts, read 108,803 times
Well, if you need some German conversation send me a message. Now switching to German:

Ich wohne an der Küste, ca. 50km von McGuire entfernt. Es gibt einige deutsche Restaurants und einen deutschen Club in der Umgebung. Ich bin seit 9 Jahren hier und kenne mich einigermassen aus.

Back to English Welcome to New Jersey!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:22 AM

Thanks guys. Thats very helpful. Now to you factory3:
Vielen Dank. Ich freue mich im Sommer die Kueste zu besuchen und wenn es klappt, auch schon frueher. Sind Sie auch Militaer? Wir sind im Moment noch in Deutschland und warten aud unseren Flug am 14ten. Ich bin mal gespannt. Ich melde mich wenn wir hier sind Danke nochmal!!!

Old 10-07-2009, 07:03 AM

49 posts, read 108,803 times
Ich bin nicht mehr beim Militär, war aber in den 90gern in Ramstein und SHAPE (Belgien) stationiert, also weiss ich wie es ist wenn man plötzlich in ein anderes Land verfrachtet wird und mit einer neuen Kultur konfrontiert wird. Die Lage der Air Base ist eigentlich ideal um sich die Zeit zu vertreiben. Philadelphia, New York City und Atlantic City sind nur 1/2 bis 1 Stunde entfernt und Baltimore/Washington DC sind auch nicht weit weg. Geben Sie mir Bescheid wenn Sie Informationen brauchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey