Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 06:52 PM

702 posts, read 1,571,397 times

Advertisements

Wow amazing how much got resolved today.

Did you know that if you listen to CSPAN's musical concerto while the senate is in
Quorum long enough you start seeing flashbacks of Tom & Jerry cartoons on the screen.

Other than what DiorGirl posted earlier not much happened today. Here are some of today's articles saying much of what many already know.

NH's Shaheen Proposing Jobless Benefits To All (http://www.wmur.com/money/21227584/detail.html - broken link)
Quote:
CONCORD, N.H. -- New Hampshire Sen. Jeanne Shaheen has released the details of an amendment she plans to introduce that would give 17 additional weeks of unemployment benefits to workers nationwide.The amendment, which Shaheen plans to introduce later this week, would lower the unemployment trigger so that eligible workers in every state would receive an unemployment benefit extension.
Senator backs extending jobless relief to all states (http://www.detnews.com/article/20091007/NATION/910070366/1020/nation/Nation...%20/ - broken link)
Quote:
Washington -- Sen. Jeanne Shaheen announced Tuesday she'll push to add 17 weeks of unemployment benefits for all states. Shaheen, D-N.H., has been at the forefront of a group of 17 senators who balked at targeting relief only to states with the highest unemployment. The House took that approach, voting on Sept. 22 to give Michigan and other states with unemployment rates of at least 8.5 percent an extra 13 weeks of benefits. The issue could come up in the Senate as early as Thursday.
Unemployment Benefits on the Brink
Quote:
Congress is considering another benefit extension, but it is uncertain who would be covered. The House of Representatives passed legislation that would provide another 13 weeks of benefits for the 27 states with an unemployment rate of 8.5 percent or higher. But Montana would not qualify, with a 6.6 percent jobless rate.

That legislation is stuck in the Senate, bogged down by protests from the remaining 23 states with less than an 8.5 percent jobless rate.
Unemployment Update: WTTW's Newest Report, Senate Machinations, Benefit Wiki
Quote:
Additional help from Washington might be on the way shortly. While the details still need to be worked out, aides told Reuters yesterday that the Senate could vote on an unemployment insurance extension within days. Meanwhile, the White House pushed lawmakers yesterday to strike a deal that Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said would "ensure that those that have fallen on hard times and have lost their job have the benefits they need to provide for their families."
Reid and Pelosi to Meet with Obama on Jobs and Economy
Quote:
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid will meet with President Obama Wednesday to discuss job creation and the economy following last week's report that the unemployment rate had climbed to a 26-year high of 9.8 percent.
The Obama administration has begun talks with Democratic leaders in Congress on moves to extend health insurance subsidies, the $8,000 first-time homebuyer tax credit and jobless benefits, congressional and administration officials told FOX News late last week.
After Obama Meeting, Reid Pledges To Do More To Create Jobs (http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=200910071647dowjonesdjonline000 570&title=after-obama-meetingreid-pledges-to-do-more-to-create-jobs - broken link)
Quote:
After a meeting at the White House with the president and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., to discuss the jobs crisis, Reid said in a statement the meeting "reinforced our shared commitment to creating more jobs and providing relief to the millions of Americans who are out of work."
To prevent thread from being closed please follow the rules and try
not to post comments that are off the current topic and please refrain
from making comments toward other posters unless it's to discuss
something regarding the topic. Use Direct Message if you need to
speak off topic.

Last edited by Mr North Jersey; 10-07-2009 at 07:11 PM..

Old 10-07-2009, 08:23 PM

259 posts, read 662,478 times
Obama will push for those benefits to be extended into 2010. That's a no brainer

Old 10-07-2009, 08:31 PM

108 posts, read 243,013 times
Honestly , what does Obama care or the Senators, they are all living in big houses, get regular pay checks, drive new cars (if they even drive themselves), eat 3 meals a day (hmmm wonder what thats like), and even have their health care paid by..us.....hmmm so why do they care about the UNEMPLOYED IN AMERICA....oh yeah and we are feeding and housing illegal aliens and even sending money overseas to feed the starving...last i checked...charity began at home..and my dear friends unemployment benefits arent charity, we have paid into it for year..or at least i have and now i'm stuck in the red tape of the people i elected to speak for me.....tomorrows another day.....then the senate will leave early friday and they are off monday so if something isnt done tomorrow we are looking at the middle of next week at the very earliest..........so lets all hope that "the sun will come up tomorrow"

Old 10-08-2009, 06:20 AM

244 posts, read 622,458 times
Good morning all. I just checked the Senate website for any updates on their schedule and of course nothing is listed for today regarding our topic. Now it is true that there has been times that they deviated from their schedule in the past but the last week or so on the floor has been accurate to what is scheduled. I really hope they plan today to fit this in somewhere even though they havent scheduled it. Well its off to another interview. Im grateful that I am at least im getting them. Now i just need to get hired.

Iv been looking very hard because there wont be any more extensions after this one. When this passes, it is like a final countown. I think that most of you agree it is very likely that this will be the end of it. So with that said, im getting prepard now. I gotta find a job within 13 weeks. I mean iv been looking hard for all this time but now we dont have any more options. We have to look super hard and be aggressive since this will be probably the last we get.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:54 AM

106 posts, read 278,437 times
I was thinking last night about the couple of people who posted that said they received a second blue envelope. My thought is that there must be a reason for this and maybe you should compare your situation- when your claim started, ended, reason for losing your job etc., maybe there is a common connection between all of you and it might have something to do with NJ getting computers ready for next possible extension. Its just a thought.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:53 AM

63 posts, read 135,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane in NJ View Post
Honestly , what does Obama care or the Senators, they are all living in big houses, get regular pay checks, drive new cars (if they even drive themselves), eat 3 meals a day (hmmm wonder what thats like), and even have their health care paid by..us.....hmmm so why do they care about the UNEMPLOYED IN AMERICA....oh yeah and we are feeding and housing illegal aliens and even sending money overseas to feed the starving...last i checked...charity began at home..and my dear friends unemployment benefits arent charity, we have paid into it for year..or at least i have and now i'm stuck in the red tape of the people i elected to speak for me.....tomorrows another day.....then the senate will leave early friday and they are off monday so if something isnt done tomorrow we are looking at the middle of next week at the very earliest..........so lets all hope that "the sun will come up tomorrow"

I think Obama is pushing to get the extentions we all need and deserve, however it seems that the Senate is sitting on their hands, doing nothing to help the American people. With all the letters, emails and phone calls made, one would expect quicker action from OUR elected officials. These are the people WE voted into office to represent us and act on our behaf and in our best interests. Seems another case of hoorah for me and to hell with you. I hope that at election time everyone remembers who did what for whome. Maybe a cut in pay for them untill this issue is resolved is indeed the answere. In the meantime, my benefits ran out in August, bank account is depleating and there are no job offers on the table. I hope they act on this soon so at least we know where we stand. It's like dangling the old carrot in front of the horse, giving people hope and then taking it away. Some thing has to break soon.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:47 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,173 times
Some observations and postulations...

Just FYI -- although the lack of news lately has been frustrating, it may very well be a good sign.

It has already been reported that Senators Reid and Baucus will not bring a bill to the floor of the Senate until they have "locked in" the votes necessary for passage.

At the time of this posting, the full texts of the Reid-Baucus bill and of the Shaheen bill have not yet been publicly released. Neither appears on the Library of Congress website -- a posting that is routinely done shortly after the bills are received from the Government Printing Office (usually a day or two after they are introduced on the floor of the House or Senate).

Getting agreement to the various elements in a bill -- particularly one so much more complex than that passed by the House (HR 3578) -- will take time and negotiation.

In the light of their continuing inability to get Health Care Reform wrapped up -- Reid and Baucus clearly would prefer to get the unemployment extension negotiations done less publicly to minimize further criticism that the Senate leaders have no control/influence over their members. [The Shaheen "mutiny" was reportedly a very unwelcome, politically embarrassing surprise to Reid and Baucus, who thought Jack Reid's companion bill would be quietly approved.]

Shaheen has also made several changes in her proposal before finalizing the draft of the bill she is proposing -- most substantively, she has changed the method of funding the extensions, in an attempt to build more support among her colleagues.

Once the texts of bills -- Reid-Baucus and Shaheen -- are publicly available, that will likely be a signal that agreement among the members of the Senate has been reached privately and that public progress will shortly follow.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:26 AM

348 posts, read 469,844 times
BIG NEWS FLASH

I just got off the phone with NELP in the New York office. 212-285-3025 EXT 322, contact Andreatte.

This is the new proposal that was agreed on last night.

20 weeks for states above 8.5 percent

14 weeks for all other states

She had mentioned that they are going to try to pass the bill using the "unanimous consent process"

However if anyone objects there would be a vote.

Now it probably wont make the floor today or tomm. However she said Tuesday.

This is directly quoted from NELP. So I think this is great news.

Thanks

Last edited by mf4576; 10-08-2009 at 09:37 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 09:42 AM

106 posts, read 278,437 times
Well it is definately good news, lets just hope it is true. If it is true and it is passed Tues. I pray that NJ grants all of us an extension. I know I would be totally devastated after struggling all these weeks to get by and then get denied the extension by NJ

Old 10-08-2009, 10:17 AM

205 posts, read 389,279 times
I hope it is true. I am also in NJ and not struggling yet, but very soon. I only have 2 more checks coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment