Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:35 AM

58 posts, read 172,031 times

Advertisements

I had a similar thread a couple of months ago and was lazy to update it.
What happened was that I got 5 points ticket because troop said I was 96 out of 65. He lied big time.

I was speeding with 80 mph but anyway..
What I did is I asked a lawyer to help me with because I had other points already. This lawyer asked me 1700 dollars and I said no way..
So I answered one of those flyers mentioned above. Now. I WISH I HADN'T.
This guy, Moderator cut: don't mention names, this is not a consumer complaint website will send you a flyer saying that hi is limited only to municipal court and has a little fee..So I bit on that. Called the office..
I saw him and a couple of other laywers like him that day. Having 5 clients each. IS all about money.

Anyway, lawyer said that prosecutor brought down the speeding from 96 mph to 85 mph..and that was 2 points. He asked me if I agree and I said...sure 2 points it is what I am looking for...
So we went in to the judge and he asked my lawyer questions related to me or to law. He couldn't answer either..

So I got a nice suspension for 10 days..Needless to say that I was going to nursing school at that time and 2 day absence is a failure and kick out of semester..
I hardly made it through the school because of that and school was 52 miles away from home each way and I had no car..
Anyway, I didn't say anything, took what I was given and left.

What made me mad was that the 15 miles over speed limit wasn't 2 points but 4 and this lawyer who limits his practice on speeding tickets and have 20 years experience, didn't know that..

Long story long..

I called him so we could see prosecutor again ..he said that prosecutor didn't accepted..blah blah blah
Big big big big lies....

Be aware of those lawyers and if you have no present history of speeding , don't even get a lawyer..The prosecutor will understand and grant you for your good record..You will probably end up with 2 points.
This is my opinion though..don't listen to it..
Take care..

Last edited by tahiti; 09-24-2009 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 02:33 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Thumbs up Great Job by Cops!

Thank you Officers!!!

Great work with palciparum and Elena.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:56 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
Sorry, careless. Reckless is 5.

12 points is suspension. Follow the link VD if you want more info. I tried to find the fines, but I think that might be local (although the state should have ones for state roadways...)
Speeding fines are set by the state whether it's a local roadway or a state roadway like the Parkway or Turnpike. Additionally, the vast majority of the fines go to the state, even if the violation was on a local road. The municipality in which the violation was committed receives a pittance from the fine. Fines are entered into the state's general fund.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:03 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena121 View Post
What happened was that I got 5 points ticket because troop said I was 96 out of 65. He lied big time.
The trooper has absolutely ZERO reason to lie about how fast you were going. There are enough people speeding in excess of 90 mph that troopers don't have to make up speeding tickets for people barely doing 80. Plus, even if the trooper lied, a radar or laser gun wouldn't. The gun is calibrated and the evidence is recorded with a time stamp. You certainly had the right to view the radar or laser reading if you disputed it.

If your speedometer was reading 80 but the gun caught you at 96, have a mechanic check out your speedometer.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:02 AM

43 posts, read 103,146 times
Thanks to the forum for the replies. I was caught speeding and I have to face it. I was 90s in 65 zone though I didnt even realize it. So now onwards I am using cruise control. Lesson learnt.

Can anyone give me names of lawyers that people had good experience with. It would be nice to know the name of the lawyer that mod cut out as I dont wnat to go to him. Thats why we come to forums.

Thanks

Old 09-25-2009, 11:22 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
A couple of years ago I got clocked doing 94 going down the GSP and got that and some other ticket for tinted windows. No lawyer, when I went into muni court and the prosecutor automatically reduced it to the lowest speed limit and forget whether they made me pay the other ticket, think they threw that out. The cop doesn't even show up unless you want to fight it and don't accept the prosecutor's deal. Lately that is what happens.
Also they will at first try to sell you the Jim MgGreevey no points special which costs about $485 first but I already had several of those so i wasn't eligible for any more of them,

They will probably offer you the "unsafe driving" no points $485 deal at first since it's money for them and 0 points on your license. It does show up as a zero point offense so your nsurance may see it but they don't usually care if you only have 1 or 2.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:28 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
The lawyer will probably get you the same deal, 1 unsafe driving at 0 points and drop the other ticket but its up to you, you can probably get that yourself. After they call all the people in court they usually have people pleading not guilty line up outside and you go into a room 1 at a time w/ the prosecutor where you wheel & deal, settle on what it is then go back into the court where the judge approves it and out to the cash window.

You could tell them you weren't even moving at all, you where standing in one spot and the earth was spinning underneath your car. they might laugh but will still want the dough.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Thank you Officers!!!

Great work with palciparum and Elena.
hahahaha that was funny..

Old 09-29-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
The trooper has absolutely ZERO reason to lie about how fast you were going. There are enough people speeding in excess of 90 mph that troopers don't have to make up speeding tickets for people barely doing 80. Plus, even if the trooper lied, a radar or laser gun wouldn't. The gun is calibrated and the evidence is recorded with a time stamp. You certainly had the right to view the radar or laser reading if you disputed it.

If your speedometer was reading 80 but the gun caught you at 96, have a mechanic check out your speedometer.
oh well..I know i speed in 287 but everybody else does so..
Anyway, I would despute it and blah blah blah but the darn lawyer told me on the phone that the radar goes off about 1/2 mile each time..So at the end of the shift (2pm) the radar would be off about 17 miles. This is what he said and I beleived him so I went like the ship to the butcher..
There he said that they had me that radar gun whatever so he could do nothing..
Anyway..I didn't check the speedometer because they said goes off when change tire size which I had not.
But that time I had a Murano which believe me..can not go that fast even if I wanted too.
But lesson learned so I dont speed anymore..Happy??

Old 09-29-2009, 12:44 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times
Um, in a Murano you COULD go that fast. It is easy. The think is high off the ground and makes you feel like you are going slower.

Also, "Off by 1/2 mile"?? You mean MPH maybe? And how often doe that happen? That 17 "mile" numner you came up with is just weird.

Also, your speedomiter is calibrated to a certain tire size, if you change tire sizes (go from 15" to 17" rims, and slightly larger tires to boot) you could be looking at slower speeds on your speedometer than you are really going.

I THINK that is what you were saying there, but you never know.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey