U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,479 times

Advertisements

We live in Hunterdon County (Flemington, NJ) and we have had them for years. Each year it gets worse. In the past I have never seen them on the outside of the house. We would just see them during the winter on the inside of our house. But this year they are all over the outside of the house. One screen had about 20 of them on it yesterday...yuck. Some are in our garage, attic and even in our cars. This winter is really going to be bad. I would imagine that some days we will be killing too many to count. I hope they come up with a trap for these soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 02:48 PM

538 posts, read 1,630,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitetornado View Post
We live in Hunterdon County (Flemington, NJ) and we have had them for years. Each year it gets worse. In the past I have never seen them on the outside of the house. We would just see them during the winter on the inside of our house. But this year they are all over the outside of the house. One screen had about 20 of them on it yesterday...yuck. Some are in our garage, attic and even in our cars. This winter is really going to be bad. I would imagine that some days we will be killing too many to count. I hope they come up with a trap for these soon.
Well it looks like they have fully invaded Monmouth County now. They are all over the place here.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:05 AM

7,765 posts, read 9,334,690 times
This article was in the Star Ledger. It seems Phish Head covered the bases well.

Invasion of the stink bugs: Early fall is their season | New Jersey Home and Garden - Garden - - Garden - NJ.com

Old 10-05-2009, 06:37 PM

4,876 posts, read 2,870,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
This article was in the Star Ledger. It seems Phish Head covered the bases well.

Invasion of the stink bugs: Early fall is their season | New Jersey Home and Garden - Garden - - Garden - NJ.com

I guess I'll stop stomping on them (from article):
Quote:
One thing you want to avoid is crushing them, since the lingering scent can be detected by other stink bugs long after it has faded from our own olfactory memory and draw more stink bugs to your hearthside. Letís not go there, either.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:47 PM

13,315 posts, read 13,938,539 times
Just be very careful. I saw an odd one, one year and I looked it up. If you see a wheel on its back area.......
It is a Wheel Bug. I have come across about 6 or 7 that I looked at over a few years time.
This bug has a very bad sting. Worse then a hornet. It stings from under its jaw. The large spot it leaves will last weeks or up to SIX months. It can leave an inflamed area that is big the size of a melon.
That one, you would want to avoid at all cost.......and for some reason.......it came along with the stink bugs.
Every photo I see is copyrighted.......So if I come across one here I'll take a picture of my own ........( from inside, for sure)

Old 10-05-2009, 07:49 PM

1,744 posts, read 4,045,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Just be very careful. I saw an odd one, one year and I looked it up. If you see a wheel on its back area.......
It is a Wheel Bug. I have come across about 6 or 7 that I looked at over a few years time.
This bug has a very bad sting. Worse then a hornet. It stings from under its jaw. The large spot it leaves will last weeks or up to SIX months. It can leave an inflamed area that is big the size of a melon.
That one, you would want to avoid at all cost.......and for some reason.......it came along with the stink bugs.
Every photo I see is copyrighted.......So if I come across one here I'll take a picture of my own ........( from inside, for sure)
I haven't seen any wheel bugs here, but we have a ton of stink bugs! I was surprized to read that they sting too. How to Get Rid of Stink Bugs, thought they were just ugly and annoying!

Old 10-06-2009, 06:52 PM

75 posts, read 111,815 times
We saw quite a few stink bugs today clinging to the screens on the windows. I never heard of Wheel Bugs but I'm going to look them up, I'm interested in finding out more about them, in case they are in my area...ugh.. I hate bugs

Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 PM

wheel bug, Arilus cristatus (Linnaeus)
Here is one article on wheel bugs........they seem to come along with the other critters......just less of them.
Beware....really........I've read and saw some awful sting issues with them. ( online)
http://www.insectidentification.org/...tion=Wheel-Bug

Last edited by Summering; 10-06-2009 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: add

Old 10-06-2009, 09:34 PM

Wheel Bugs - Hazards of the Outdoors About a Wheel Bug bite........
These bugs do seem to be in the same areas as the stink bugs. I use to think they were the stink bugs, until I looked up about that "wheel" .......Oh freak me out!!!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:08 AM

6,770 posts, read 8,784,079 times
Default This might be helpful...

I LOVE this website:
What's That Bug? Insect identification

You can look up any weird bug you find, and you can even send them pictures of bugs you find, and they'll try to identify them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey