U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-25-2009, 06:09 PM
 
859 posts, read 2,332,633 times
Reputation: 665

Advertisements

One more day left of attorney review (so far / so good), and we are hoping to scehdule our home inspection for next weekend.

Our realtor gave us the name of a few: Angel Ledesma of Home Quest, Robert Hahn of EBI Inspections, Marc Rocca from Pillar to Post...

Any exepreinces, good or bad, with these guys... or referrals for new ones? (We purchased a townhome... don't know if any inspectors "specialize" in this or if that info matters.)

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2009, 10:31 AM
 
859 posts, read 2,332,633 times
Reputation: 665
Right now we have an inspection scheduled for Friday with Brett Kauffman of Kauffman Consultants. He is actually from Madison, but will travel to North Brunswick. Anyone have any experience with him?
He quoted us $595 for home inspection, termite, & radon. Sound reasonable?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2009, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Ridgewood
302 posts, read 1,832,031 times
Reputation: 180
That's a very high price for a townhouse.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2009, 11:32 AM
 
859 posts, read 2,332,633 times
Reputation: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenite View Post
That's a very high price for a townhouse.
Thanks for the feedabck... this is all new to this.
What is more reasonable? Do you know of anyone else you might refer us to who could offer us a better rate?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2009, 03:59 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,510 posts, read 3,108,950 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
One more day left of attorney review (so far / so good), and we are hoping to scehdule our home inspection for next weekend.

Our realtor gave us the name of a few: Angel Ledesma of Home Quest, Robert Hahn of EBI Inspections, Marc Rocca from Pillar to Post...

Any exepreinces, good or bad, with these guys... or referrals for new ones? (We purchased a townhome... don't know if any inspectors "specialize" in this or if that info matters.)

Thanks in advance!
Be sure to eliminate any home inspector that requests you sign a waiver that releases them from financial responsibility should they miss something during the inspection......MOST do request this !!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2009, 07:12 PM
 
859 posts, read 2,332,633 times
Reputation: 665
Thanks everyone....
especially for the tip about refraining from signing a waiver.

We actually ended up cancelling Bret Kauffman and going with Robert Hahn of Family Building Inspectors: also ASHI accreditted, but quoted us $435 instead of $595.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 07:54 AM
 
1,173 posts, read 3,965,827 times
Reputation: 1321
good move $595 is a lot. We had our a couple of weeks ago and paid $425, I called four different companies to get quotes and the most expensive one was $450. Good luck on your inspection, hope they don't find anything too expensive to correct!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 08:45 AM
 
859 posts, read 2,332,633 times
Reputation: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
good move $595 is a lot. We had our a couple of weeks ago and paid $425, I called four different companies to get quotes and the most expensive one was $450. Good luck on your inspection, hope they don't find anything too expensive to correct!!
Thanks! Same here!
Townhouse was built in 1987, lots of new updates, so hoping for the best!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 09:10 AM
 
Location: 3219'03.7"N 10643'55.9"W
7,962 posts, read 16,772,619 times
Reputation: 6912
Even $495 seems high. We are going to have our home inspected next weekend, and it is going to cost us only $200. I wonder if it's because we are not moving, which would then make the fee lower?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 09:15 AM
 
859 posts, read 2,332,633 times
Reputation: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Even $495 seems high. We are going to have our home inspected next weekend, and it is going to cost us only $200. I wonder if it's because we are not moving, which would then make the fee lower?
Robert Hahn actually quoted us $435, and then upon learning more upon the property (like the fact that it has no basement or attic, just a crawl space in one closet) changed it to $385..... seems like everything is negotiable in this inspection business!
$200 sounds even better! Does yours include termite & radon & appliances? Don't know how they arrive at these estimates...
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top