Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,232 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 23 year old female and just got a job in Little Falls, NJ. I will be relocating to North Jersey and would like any input about the area. I have a tight budget but would like to be in a nice and safe area with people my age. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 04:17 PM

5,770 posts, read 16,577,499 times
When I think of Little Falls, the first thing I think of is driving over those hills on US46 and the second thing I think of is Montclair State College which is really close as in walking distance to Little Falls, although not many walk to there. It's not too bad of an area as long as you stay away from the older urban towns to the North such as Paterson. NJ itself is a bit expensive to live in but I hope you already know that. Maybe you could find what off campus housing the college point students to? Other than that there are some garden apts in the area and lots of other towns close by, like within 15 minutes.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:50 PM

33 posts, read 177,932 times
It would be quite A COMMUTE BUT ROCKAWAY IS PERFECT FOR YOU.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:37 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,548 times
Montclair isn't bad. I would live in Hoboken and take the train.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:07 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,485,152 times
why not just live right in little falls? close enough to everything when you want to go out, like montclair ...and NYC busses are right there!

Old 09-28-2009, 05:15 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,929,906 times
I suggest Clifton, Nutley or "northern" Bloomfield. I think they would be a little more reasonably priced than Montclair or Little Falls. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:44 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,808,427 times
Montclair is the best choice but it's expensive, but renting wise, you have a chance.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:48 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
When I think of Little Falls, the first thing I think of is driving over those hills on US46 and the second thing I think of is Montclair State College which is really close as in walking distance to Little Falls, although not many walk to there. It's not too bad of an area as long as you stay away from the older urban towns to the North such as Paterson. NJ itself is a bit expensive to live in but I hope you already know that. Maybe you could find what off campus housing the college point students to? Other than that there are some garden apts in the area and lots of other towns close by, like within 15 minutes.
yup, i used to work in LF off Rt. 3. i would recommend Montclair, LF, Verona probably somewhere on or near Bloomfield Ave. its got a college town vibe that you may like. Bloomfield is ok (there's a lot of apts for young professionals) and i would avoid, Belleville, Newark, Paterson, Passaic. Belleville's ok, but its just too close to Newark for my liking.

coming from VT, i'd imagine that you're going to find it to be a very congested area. good luck.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:00 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,457,993 times
Little Falls sounds like it would be a good fit. It's a good, safe town, moderately priced (by Northern NJ standards, anyway, it's still going to be a lot more $$$ than Vermont) and a lot of college students from Montclair State University live in the town. You're right next to Montclair's trendy downtown, but will save money over getting a place in Montclair, which is quite expensive in most parts. Its two sister towns, West Paterson (excuse me, "Woodland Park"), and Totowa might be good fits too. The three towns are similar in size, demographics and cost.

Clifton and Bloomfield could be good affordable choices too, but both towns are a bit "grittier" than Little Falls and have some rough areas where they border some really rough towns. Both towns have their good sections too.

Nutley is a nice town, but probably doesn't have as many young people. It will be more expensive than Little Falls, Clifton, or Bloomfield. Verona is lovely, but would be very expensive, and it might not be ""hip" enough for a young person.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:25 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,348 times
I think it's good to live as close to the job as possible. None of the surrounding towns are bad. Little Falls is nice as well. Avoid Clifton and Passaic. Toward Bloodfield and Paterson the culture is ghetto-fabish. I'd go for something within 5 miles of the job location. It's easier to get the benefits of somewhere if u both live and work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey