Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post
Your first, and most obvious option is to hold them until police arrive.
you are saying if your gun is pointed at them, they charge you, you are supposed to try to grab them and hold onto them until police arrive? what if you havent called the police?

just so i understand where this is coming from, are you saying the rules are crazy or are you saying that you personally dont think people should be allowed to shoot intruders even if they charge towards them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 02:57 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
If you are a homeowner and someone breaks in, you are not going to be charged with murder. Not unless you go way overboard or some kind of gang member...

Old 10-05-2009, 05:07 PM

8 posts, read 18,829 times
Tastes good on food also takes down those creepers

Old 10-05-2009, 05:22 PM

636 posts, read 1,423,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post
Your first, and most obvious option is to hold them until police arrive. You can certainly draw your weapon and tell the intruder to lie face down until help arrives, nothing wrong with drawing a weapon. Please remember my original post though, you cannot "willy nilly" shoot anyone who has broken into your home. If you surprise an intruder and he clearly appears to be fleeing from the home and is not a direct threat to you, then you have no legal standing in NJ to justifiably shoot him. Charges WILL be brought against you.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's just ridiculous. Breaking into a house is a sign of aggression. How do you know there aren't others trying to get to you while you're focused on holding the 1st guy down?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's just ridiculous. Breaking into a house is a sign of aggression. How do you know there aren't others trying to get to you while you're focused on holding the 1st guy down?
there is no f-ing way im touching a criminal who broke into my house with my hands if i have a gun to shoot him with. forget about my wife, she has strict instructions in case of a break in and i expect her to follow them.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:36 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
But yea pepper spray is garbage. Get a handgun and take some classes at the local range. There are free gun training courses which are free and taught by volunteers all over the place.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:46 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,627 times
I learned from a police officer that pepper spray does not always effect everyone. Some people are not bothered by pepper spray. Plus, like some others have said, it may get into your eyes too. I believe in NJ you have to get the pepper spray from the police department and have some kind of registration for it. You cannot go into a store and buy it. Maybe the laws have changed.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:44 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default no need for pepper spray

If you are attacked simply dial 911 and the dispatcher will eventually send an officer to investigate. The police are here to protect and serve. No need to worry. It is important you follow the law, otherwise the perp's lawyer will sue you or your estate. Guns and pepper spray make you vulnerable to mugging by lawyers where you end up losing everything you tried to protect in the first place.

Graves bill was passed to provide you with further protection.

Graves bill ignores first time offenders status and requires you do 3 years for a crime committed with a gun. So make sure, if you use a firearm you are not committing an unintended crime. If you intend to commit a crime you may simply ignore the consequences of the Graves bill like so many others in this fine state.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:50 AM

238 posts, read 728,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
If you are attacked simply dial 911 and the dispatcher will eventually send an officer to investigate. The police are here to protect and serve. No need to worry. It is important you follow the law, otherwise the perp's lawyer will sue you or your estate. Guns and pepper spray make you vulnerable to mugging by lawyers where you end up losing everything you tried to protect in the first place.

Graves bill was passed to provide you with further protection.

Graves bill ignores first time offenders status and requires you do 3 years for a crime committed with a gun. So make sure, if you use a firearm you are not committing an unintended crime. If you intend to commit a crime you may simply ignore the consequences of the Graves bill like so many others in this fine state.
That sounds reasonable. Wait for Police while you and your family get killed by a rookie/happy trigger robber or freak. My friend died while the freak killed her daughter and then her. That's when the victim's father grabbed the shotgun and killed the intruder. Hold on! maybe he should have waited for police while he gets killed too, then we can all be happy about our state's legislation.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonas View Post
That sounds reasonable. Wait for Police while you and your family get killed by a rookie/happy trigger robber or freak. My friend died while the freak killed her daughter and then her. That's when the victim's father grabbed the shotgun and killed the intruder. Hold on! maybe he should have waited for police while he gets killed too, then we can all be happy about our state's legislation.
im pretty sure kracer was being sarcastic.

as far as im concerned, entering my house illegally is an automatic death sentence. better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey