Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 11:45 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Last time I looked the thread title said nothing about pensions nor did the article in question, maybe a valid point in the taxes but the thread has become like one of those seminar invites I get from those sharks at Merrill Lynch all the time

Report says police pay drives up N.J. property taxes
It's not the salaries so much as it is the benefits though (pensions and for cops, gaming the overtime system)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 11:51 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
It's not the salaries so much as it is the benefits though (pensions and for cops, gaming the overtime system)
Hmm do I detect a note of bitterness here??
Agree the benefits & pensions need to be revisited but that is not what the thread is about and it has deteriorated into a pension education seminar

I would venture to guess you are either an economics professor at the local college or an FA for the likes of ML/BOA.....MS/SB...global wealth advisor????

Old 09-30-2009, 11:58 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Agree the benefits & pensions need to be revisited but that is not what the thread is about and it has deteriorated into a pension education seminar

I would venture to guess you are either an economics professor at the local college or an FA for the likes of ML/BOA.....MS/SB...global wealth advisor????
Completely wrong. See my profile page.

And no, bitterness doesn't really enter into it. I rent a modest apartment, so I don't pay much in the way of property tax. I pay income tax of course but it's very small compared to how much property tax is levied on a typical SFH.

I'm sorry if it's deteriorated into a "seminar", but it's difficult to respond to challenges to my points without making some attempt to explain myself.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:59 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:

it sounds to me like he isnt happy that police take advantage of unnecessary overtime. then, i believe they can pile on hours during their last years of "service" so they can get fat pension checks when they retire. its a joke. pure rape of the taxpayer.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Completely wrong. See my profile page.

And no, bitterness doesn't really enter into it. I rent a modest apartment, so I don't pay much in the way of property tax. I pay income tax of course but it's very small compared to how much property tax is levied on a typical SFH.

I'm sorry if it's deteriorated into a "seminar", but it's difficult to respond to challenges to my points without making some attempt to explain myself.
Financial none the less....lol peace

Old 09-30-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it sounds to me like he isnt happy that police take advantage of unnecessary overtime. then, i believe they can pile on hours during their last years of "service" so they can get fat pension checks when they retire. its a joke. pure rape of the taxpayer.

There is no way to logically debate the issue with you as all of your posts on police have indicated you are clearly a cop hater....I should hope you or a loved one never has the need for one..yes I know they show up after the fact...blah...blah...blah....

There are many things cops do that most people wouldn't want to deal with and not all cops & robbers stuff....try being first at the scene when a 14 year old comes home to find her father blew his head off.....or a teenager that has commited suicide but you will just pooh pooh it

Old 09-30-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
There is no way to logically debate the issue with you as all of your posts on police have indicated you are clearly a cop hater....I should hope you or a loved one never has the need for one..yes I know they show up after the fact...blah...blah...blah....
my opinion of police means nothing in a discussion of their compensation. compensation is about supply and demand, market rates, etc.

if someone in the private sector would be earning $10 an hour plus single health coverage with no additional benefits then they shouldnt be getting $15 an hour, family health, pension, overtime, etc. in the public sector.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
There are many things cops do that most people wouldn't want to deal with and not all cops & robbers stuff....try being first at the scene when a 14 year old comes home to find her father blew his head off.....or a teenager that has commited suicide
give me a break.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my opinion of police means nothing in a discussion of their compensation. compensation is about supply and demand, market rates, etc.

if someone in the private sector would be earning $10 an hour plus single health coverage with no additional benefits then they shouldnt be getting $15 an hour, family health, pension, overtime, etc. in the public sector.
You're comparing apples to oranges and for your info many many police depts now require a degree
$10 an hour in private sector...they must be working at mcDonalds or the local grocery store how can you compare

I need to stop and myself upside the head for even responding to one of your posts

Old 09-30-2009, 12:15 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times
Quote:
You're confusing correlation with causality. There is plenty of evidence that affordability drives house prices. Long run housing affordability numbers are close to constant. It also should be clear that property tax affects affordability.
No, I'm not.

You say that higher taxes would lower property values. the property values are high, so that either means you are wrong, or that so many other things outbalance the tax burden that people are willing to pay MORE to live here.

Either way, it refutes your postulation that somehow taxes are holding back property value (directly). Lowering them would increase prices, but decrease the money spent on the programs that make NJ popular, thus reducing property values. So making a 1-1 assertion like that isn't valid.

That is the danger in making such quick replies on a serious topic elf. If life were that cut and dry we would not have so many people fussing over the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey