Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:12 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,243,519 times

Advertisements

So my walk-in closet, which is large, is technically a bedroom. It has 2 windows (view of NYC!) and it has 2 huge California Closet fixtures....so it's a bedroom! Haha.

Ansky, you should really install a closet in that 3rd bedroom. Not hard to do at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 09:48 AM

777 posts, read 2,369,490 times
When I appraise a home, for a room to count as a bedroom, it should have a window, closet, room enough for at least a single size bed, and should have a door (privacy factor). Also it has to be above grade. In the appraisal report as someone correctly said, we do not count bathrooms or other rooms in the basement in the room or bathroom count.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:15 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,512,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotltotl View Post
Interesting. Apparently my apartment is a 0 bedroom apartment, not a 2 bedroom! The closets are in the living room & dining room. (It's an old 1800s building. The second bedroom also has a "servant's entrance" to the stairway!)

sounds like they moved some rooms around. I'm thinking that either your living room or dining room is actually the bedroom. I would check with the owner on that.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:54 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,735,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn31 View Post
Interestingly we had an old realtor and his partner from Coldwell in Morris County try to convince us that a house we were interested in was a 4Br. One Br was so tiny, with a standard window, maybe enough room for just a full bed, nightstand and have to squeeze a wardrobe in there because there was no closet. They said you can build a closet, but if you did the required sq ft for a bedroom would have made it then not be a bedroom. I tried to argue with them over this, but they insist that they list all their homes like this. It definitley was a 3BR with office. Home is still sitting on the market, dropping in price every few months for the past year. I think buyers get disappointed when they think they are getting a nice sized 4br home and they realize they are getting scammed. House should be listed at a 3br price. How can realtors make up there own rules. To be a bedroom it has to be a certain sq ft, have a window and a closet.
hahahaha! Reminds me of a house we looked at this summer, it was listed as a three bedroom. Well one of the "bedrooms" was actually more like a hallway! You could tell that originally the house had a detached garage and someone built a really wide hallway to connect it to the house. Well the whoever was trying to sell the house built a closet in there and was counting it as a bedroom, FAIL!

Old 12-02-2009, 04:15 PM

604 posts, read 2,002,433 times
Autumn 31:

Realtors whether young or old cannot make rules as they go along. Whenever you sense that they are ask them to site the building code. That should shut them up or own up to the information they are giving you. It is better to be an informed consumer rather than a gullible one ready to blame incompetent - no shoe saleman posing as a Realtor - professional.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:30 PM

19 posts, read 149,071 times
Doesn't the closet requirement vary by town? In Middletown, the house we bought has a third bedroom where the closet is now home to the furnace and hot water heater. As long as there was a freestanding closet unit in the room, it could be sold as a bedroom. It did not have to be a permanent fixture.

Does this sound correct to anyone else?

Old 12-02-2009, 05:31 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,559 times
Some of the older homes do not have closets in every bedroom. They still qualify for bedrooms.It does not have to have a window it could be a door to the outside. (second means of egress) it has to add up to a certain size.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:33 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,297,163 times
Default The legal minimum bedroom size in New Jersey - 70 sq. ft with no one dimension less than 7 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn31 View Post
Interestingly we had an old realtor and his partner from Coldwell in Morris County try to convince us that a house we were interested in was a 4Br. One Br was so tiny, with a standard window, maybe enough room for just a full bed, nightstand and have to squeeze a wardrobe in there because there was no closet. They said you can build a closet, but if you did the required sq ft for a bedroom would have made it then not be a bedroom. I tried to argue with them over this, but they insist that they list all their homes like this. It definitley was a 3BR with office. Home is still sitting on the market, dropping in price every few months for the past year. I think buyers get disappointed when they think they are getting a nice sized 4br home and they realize they are getting scammed. House should be listed at a 3br price. How can realtors make up there own rules. To be a bedroom it has to be a certain sq ft, have a window and a closet.

From www.state.nj.us/dca/dhcr/hcvp/docs/chapter_08.doc --

The New Jersey multiple dwelling regulations are used to define a bedroom or living/sleeping room of "appropriate size." N.J.A.C. 5:10‑22.3 Floor Area, states that every room occupied or intended to be occupied for sleeping purposes for one occupant shall have a minimum usable floor area of 70 square feet. Every room occupied or intended to be occupied for sleeping purposes by more than one occupant shall have a useable floor area of at least 50 square feet for each occupant (two occupants require a minimum of 100 square feet). To be considered a living/sleeping room, the smaller dimension of the room must not be less than seven feet; thus ensuring enough space to get past the bed.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:34 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,559 times
Some of the older homes do not have closets in every bedroom, they still qualify for bedrooms. Also does not have to have a window, it could be a door to the outside. (second means of egress) and yes, it has to be a certain size.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:26 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,636,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Are you sure a closet is required? Is this just for apartments or for houses too? I have a 3BR house but one of the "bedrooms" does not have a closet. We use it as an office.
Absolutely has to have a closet to be considered a bedroom. I heard that on HGTV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey