U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-11-2009, 10:41 AM

828 posts, read 1,494,317 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of moving to North Brunswick. My current job is in Denville. Needless to say, I am not excited at the thought of having a 53 mile commute each way to work, so I am trying to find a new job, closer to North Brunswick.

For the last month, I have been using the old standbys: classified ads and career builder.com, as well as going directly to the websites of hospitals & schools in the area to check for openings. (I am currently a counselor with hospitalized kids, but also have my teaching certificate.) But I am really willing to take any job in any field, so much as it at least matches my current salary.

Not so surprisingly, I have had NO luck landing so much as an interview. Someone suggested to me I might try a head hunter or employment agency. This is completely new territory for me. Has anyone here ever used one? They are free to use from my understanding, correct? Does anyone have any good recommendations, or can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 03:47 PM

259 posts, read 470,075 times
53 mile commute is nothing. I live in forked river and I was traveling as far north as Nanuet NY for work.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
53 mile commute is nothing. I live in forked river and I was traveling as far north as Nanuet NY for work.
My shift at work is also 10 & a half hours. Tack on an hour + commute each day, and I will be out of the house over 12 hours a day.

Don't get me wrong, I will do it of the only other option is NO job.... but it's not my ideal situation and I would like to pursue other options, as aggressively as possible.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:56 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,854,070 times
Why are you moving to North Brunswick if your job is in Denville? It's probably easier to find a home closer to Denville than finding a new job closer to NB.

Anyway, I would recommend that you have your resume available on Monster and also on LinkedIn if you haven't done so already. I'm not even looking for a job and I get almost weekly offers for interviews from people that found my resume on LinkedIn.

I have only had one experience with a job placement agency and it was not fun. They were very pushy because they only get paid if you get hired. One guy was practically yelling at me after I told him I had no interest in going on an interview at a particular company.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:58 PM

17,678 posts, read 14,546,469 times
the fee depends on what level of employee you are. usually the more skilled employee, the more the fee can just be pushed on the employer.

i would recommend to sign up with a bunch of them.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Why are you moving to North Brunswick if your job is in Denville? It's probably easier to find a home closer to Denville than finding a new job closer to NB.

Anyway, I would recommend that you have your resume available on Monster and also on LinkedIn if you haven't done so already. I'm not even looking for a job and I get almost weekly offers for interviews from people that found my resume on LinkedIn.
The difference in taxes mostly. Morris County taxes are ridiculous compared to Middlesex. Plus my boyfriend works in Plainsboro, down by Princeton. And most importantly, we found a place we really love.

Anyway, from my experience monster seems to cater to mostly sales / comission jobs... but I have never heard of LinkedIn so I will definitely check that out. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:02 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,658,912 times
I avoid most of the big job-boards like Monster, Careerbuilder, etc - and I definitely do NOT put my resume on there... it's just begging for scammy and shady things to happen.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:05 PM

What about Craigslist?

If it makes you feel any better, there's going to be a new hospital in Plainsboro off 1.

The bad news is, it's not gonna be done until 2011-2012.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
What about Craigslist?

If it makes you feel any better, there's going to be a new hospital in Plainsboro off 1.

The bad news is, it's not gonna be done until 2011-2012.
Never thought of Craigslist... always thought that was more of a website for people looking for rommates or to sell a sofa... are there really legitimate job postings on there?
Awesome heads up about the hospital in Plainsboro... true it's way's off, but I am going to keep it in mind, especially if I have to take a job I "settle for" in the meantime ~ it'll be awesome to have a light at the end of the tunnel!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Never thought of Craigslist... always thought that was more of a website for people looking for rommates or to sell a sofa... are there really legitimate job postings on there?
Awesome heads up about the hospital in Plainsboro... true it's way's off, but I am going to keep it in mind, especially if I have to take a job I "settle for" in the meantime ~ it'll be awesome to have a light at the end of the tunnel!
A lot of technically saavy HR people are using CL for HR listings. So you never know.

However - just to warn you - if you're looking for a job to "tide you over" - the longer you are "out" of your field of choice - the harder it will be to get back in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: