U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-11-2009, 11:29 AM

10 posts, read 25,213 times
Question are atlantic county schools hiring teachers?

Hello everyone! I'm a 36 year old special education teacher, currently living and working in NY. I actually grew up in NJ, which is where I earned my degree in education. After living (and working) in NY for the past 10 years, my hubby and I have realized that we will never be able to afford to buy a house in our area, and so we're seriously contemplating a move back to NJ. We are familiar with Atlantic County, and know we can afford a modest home there. However, without jobs, this will be impossible.

Question: are the school districts in Atlantic County in need of teachers?
Would they want to hire someone with 10 years experience, versus a recent college grad whom they can pay less? What are the salaries for teachers like in Atlantic County? At what age can teachers retire in NJ?

I currently earn $65k, and am eligible to retire at 55. I get full health/dental benefits. Would the salary and benefits in NJ be comparable?

Many thanks in advance for replies and input, it is very appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 12:37 PM

826 posts, read 1,431,311 times
Unfortunately the teaching field in NJ is completely saturated.
Unless you know someone, it is nearly impossible to land a full time teaching job in a good district.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:37 PM

10 posts, read 25,213 times
Thanks for the response. I guess NJ wont be a viable option for me.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:58 PM

1,057 posts, read 460,067 times
I'd just apply everywhere you can. Teachers in NJ are generally well paid, but I'm not sure if your time from NY would transfer over at all, or if they'd start you at an "entry level" salary.

As far as job availability, like the other poster said, there are just too many teachers in NJ as is. And more are graduating from college every year. I'm in my 20s and know grads that got out of school in 2007 and still haven't found a full time job. But having special ed certification will certainly help you big-time. I wouldn't discount getting a job somewhere with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey