Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,126 times

Advertisements

I am interested to opening a cafe type/kitchenwares store in Englewood, NJ. Is there anything similar to this idea in Englewood? All of the food products sold would be prepared by me and my staff on-site and would be sold at a very reasonable prices. Info, please. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 12:34 PM

17 posts, read 59,439 times
Best thing I would recommend is to drive around and look. You can also search online and even ask some realtors in the area.

I am in the industry and have also contimplated at one time open a shop like that. I would love to hear more about what it is you are opening.

Good luck.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 5,020 times
There are cafes and delis (and, of course, Starbucks), but nothing quite like what you want to do. There is a lot of available retail space in Englewood right now. Look on Grand, Palisade, and Englewood Avenues.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:03 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times
Consider this.

You said you were interested in making a place with decent priced food AND kitchenwares?

You may want to think of trying a bit of a community bent as well. Cooking Classes might be a good way to introduce people to some of your dishes, or just things in general. The wife and I have had fun at similar classes in the city (at the culinary institute).

Old 10-24-2009, 01:26 PM

Thank you so much for your input! It's been most helpful. As for the suggestion of offering cooking classes, that has definitely crossed my mind. I would like to have an open-kitchen area, nothing hidden. That would be the perfect setup for classes, food prep., so people can actually SEE what's going on.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:07 PM

I am interested in opening a business similar to a Cracker Barrel, but on a much smaller scale. An establishment that would offer chef/kitchen wares, gadgets, small appliances, cookbooks, etc. I would also house a cafe to offer lunch and dinner items. Only on Sundays, would I offer a Sunday Brunch. I don't think there is anything quite like this in the area.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:55 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,762 times
Grew up in Englewood and was just home for the holidays. There definitely isn't anything quite like you propose, although there are a number of cafes.

Where you want to be should depend on what you plan to emphasize. If you want to be mainly a cafe, you want to be on Palisade Ave; I've seen too many great restaurants die because they weren't on the route most pedestrians take through downtown Englewood. On the other hand, rents are probably much cheaper on Dean St, Engle St or Grand Ave if you plan to emphasize the store and lessons aspect (which will have fewer people just dropping in), and those streets are also major retail corridors.

Englewood Ave is out of the way and probably not the best place for a new business.

Also, your planned clientele should make a difference as to which side of the railroad tracks you open on if you are on Palisade Ave. Englewood has traditionally been pretty starkly divided between the chic shops on the east side and the more run-down shops of the west side, corresponding the wealth and poverty that divides Englewood. The west side commercial strip has become much fancier in recent years, especially with the new Town Center development between Van Brunt and Humphrey Sts, but if you plan for your shop to be high-end, east of the tracks is probably better (with an exception for North Van Brunt St, that has John Harms Theater/BergenPAC drawing wealthy customers). Otherwise, west of the tracks does have significantly lower retail rents and will draw in plenty of customers.

(Dean St, Engle St and Grand Ave are all east of the railroad tracks.)

Old 12-26-2013, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,950 times
Default Want to open a homewares/rest. in englewood

Brownystone
Thank you so much your reply.....I know it's 2013, and I'm just now receiving it. It was very interesting and helpful. I too, grew up in Englewood, DMHS Class of 82. The location I am considering for my venture is on North Van Brunt Street, very close to the now PAC. Can't get into specifics, but I'm doing research on raising capital, something that's very difficult to come by these days. If you do read this, I just wanted to say, "Thank you for your imput and reply!"

Old 12-26-2013, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,950 times
Please excuse me for the posting the incorrect screename. My apoligies BrownstoneNY.....sorry.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:03 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefmommie369 View Post
I am interested in opening a business similar to a Cracker Barrel, but on a much smaller scale. An establishment that would offer chef/kitchen wares, gadgets, small appliances, cookbooks, etc. I would also house a cafe to offer lunch and dinner items. Only on Sundays, would I offer a Sunday Brunch. I don't think there is anything quite like this in the area.
I think you have a good idea here. Never saw a kitchenware store that also served food. I could definitely see it being successful. I think offering quality meals "to go" in quantities that could feed a family would be worth considering as well.

Glad you are still chasing your dream 4 years later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: