Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:10 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times

Advertisements

go to www.cancer.org

Second hand smoke is responsible for:

-An estimated 35,000 deaths from heart disease in people who live with smokers but are not current smokers

-about 3400 lung cancer deaths in nonsmoking adults
-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
they can't, there's no scientific proof. it's called junk science, just like global warming.
tell the lie often enough it appears to be true
And now I suppose that global warming is just a 'myth' too huh?

Old 05-08-2007, 02:24 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,622 times
second hand smoke contains the same DEADLY chemicals that the original smoker inhales. The innocent second hand smoke VICTIM doesn't have the luxury of choice nor the relitive safety of a filter.

If someone smokes their brains are bombarded by chemicals leaving their reasoning ability a bit hindered. It's not untill a smoker quits do they realize the danger they had been posing to others and themselves.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:23 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
go to www.cancer.org

Second hand smoke is responsible for:

-An estimated 35,000 deaths from heart disease in people who live with smokers but are not current smokers

-about 3400 lung cancer deaths in nonsmoking adults
-
Ok...I followed your provided link...I used the search engine provided at the link. The link contains NO info on second hand smoke that I could find. NONE AT ALL !!! At best it takes me to other web pages. If you're goiing to post a web link to support your position it should actually provide clinical data that supports your opinion in some manner. Otherwise I'll google it myself if I want science fiction.

"An estimated 35,000 deaths from heart disease in people who live with smokers but are not current smokers" That proves nothing, if you think there's something significant to that statement you must have sleep thru high school general science class.

about 3400 lung cancer deaths in nonsmoking adults Again,so what ??
Lots of non-drinkers have liver problems...what's it prove ??...nothing .
I could quote the same 3400 number and use it in a disscusion about auto exhaust fumes ...again...it's a meaningless smoke screen (pun intended)

here's another clue from you that you're not able to think critically...
"Let me guess...you're a smoker. Only a smoker would actually get offended by this statement" No I am NOT a smoker..your ability to jump to the wrong conclusions never ends. I think smoking is a really stupid self destructive habit...that's not the point though is it hmm ?? And where did I suggest that I was offended. Do you jump to that conclusion because I have the nerve to ask upon what scientific data due you base your opinion??

This is not the intent of the original poster...enough already...

Old 05-08-2007, 03:37 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times
http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35422 (broken link)

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/co...Indoor_Air.asp

http://www.epa.gov/smokefree/

Secondhand Smoke Can Make Children Suffer Serious Health Risks

Breathing secondhand smoke can be harmful to children's health including asthma, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), bronchitis and pneumonia and ear infections. Children's exposure to secondhand smoke is responsible for:

increases in the number of asthma attacks and severity of symptoms in 200,000 to 1 million children with asthma;
between 150,000 and 300,000 lower respiratory tract infections (for children under 18 months of age); and,
respiratory tract infections resulting in 7,500 to 15,000 hospitalizations each year.
The developing lungs of young children are severely affected by exposure to secondhand smoke for several reasons including that children are still developing physically, have higher breathing rates than adults, and have little control over their indoor environments. Children receiving high doses of secondhand smoke, such as those with smoking mothers, run the greatest risk of damaging health effects.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/secondhandsmoke.html

There are alot of laws out there to protect children when children end up with people as parents who have poor judgement...As long as people like this continue to have children, I applaud in standing up and doing something to protect them. Children have the right to live a happy healthy life, just because they are under the age of 18 does not mean the adults in their lives have the right to deprive them of that AND treat them like baggage.

Last edited by Lisa_from_Debary; 05-08-2007 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: added last paragraph

Old 05-08-2007, 04:08 PM

11,343 posts, read 16,699,701 times
What's next?

No smoking in your house when children are present.

Again, it's another step to 1984.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Ok...I followed your provided link...I used the search engine provided at the link. The link contains NO info on second hand smoke that I could find. NONE AT ALL !!! At best it takes me to other web pages. If you're goiing to post a web link to support your position it should actually provide clinical data that supports your opinion in some manner. Otherwise I'll google it myself if I want science fiction.

"An estimated 35,000 deaths from heart disease in people who live with smokers but are not current smokers" That proves nothing, if you think there's something significant to that statement you must have sleep thru high school general science class.

about 3400 lung cancer deaths in nonsmoking adults Again,so what ??
Lots of non-drinkers have liver problems...what's it prove ??...nothing .
I could quote the same 3400 number and use it in a disscusion about auto exhaust fumes ...again...it's a meaningless smoke screen (pun intended)

here's another clue from you that you're not able to think critically...
"Let me guess...you're a smoker. Only a smoker would actually get offended by this statement" No I am NOT a smoker..your ability to jump to the wrong conclusions never ends. I think smoking is a really stupid self destructive habit...that's not the point though is it hmm ?? And where did I suggest that I was offended. Do you jump to that conclusion because I have the nerve to ask upon what scientific data due you base your opinion??

This is not the intent of the original poster...enough already...
Lisa from Debary provided the link that I intended. Funny how she was able to find it but you somehow could not. Just because my link didn't work does not mean it isn't out there but it seems you just don't want to believe it. (Maybe the earth is still flat. I mean satellite imagery is all science fiction so why believe the planet is round?) Those estimates I gave are not word of mouth, so by asking me what does that prove simply means: what does any research prove as long as guys like you will dismiss it. You are a funny character as you are actually going to sit there and tell me that second hand smoke isn't harmful. LOL and you said I slept through general science class.
And the statement: "lots of non-drinkers have liver problems"...that's something that just came out of your mouth because if you were smart you'd know that drinking causes liver damage and INCREASES your chances of having liver complications. The same way smoking and (are we paying attention?) SECOND HAND SMOKE increases your chances for lung cancer. To deny that is beyond all ignorance...
ps: I have no idea what thinking critically has to do with this (being that this is based off of facts) but whatever...

And yes, you are offended.

Last edited by 66nexus; 05-08-2007 at 04:49 PM..

Old 05-08-2007, 04:41 PM

For the non-believers:
www.health.ri.gov/disease/tobacco/secondhandsmoke.php (broken link)

Old 05-08-2007, 04:51 PM

AND it was so easy to find all those links...isn't google wonderful??

Old 05-08-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
What's next?

No smoking in your house when children are present.

Again, it's another step to 1984.

I imagine the same KIND of thing was said when laws were enacted to stop forcing children to work, were forced to stop beating their children...I could go on but you get the general idea...

AND I don't think people should be able to smoke in the house around their children either.

If smokers want to kill themselves by smoking, I'm all for it, its like natures way of thinning the herd but they shouldn't have the right to force their smoke on the rest of us, children or not.

I have asthma (reactive airway disease) thanks to my Mother living in a smoked filled house when she was pregnant with me...while she didn't smoke while she was pregnant with me, she smoked before she got pregnant, who knows what kind of effect that had...at least according to the doctor...

AND before you ask, I was given up for adoption to a family that did not smoke...I was not around smoking at all as a child unless it was in a public place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey