U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-13-2009, 07:28 AM

15 posts, read 28,518 times

Advertisements

I'm located in Central NJ - Ocean County - I need to come up with my own heat loss calculation. HELP!!! I need all the tips that I could get, starting with Design Outdoor Temperature... Will appreciate any suggestions or tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 08:12 AM

9,125 posts, read 23,763,482 times
If you're not even sure of the design temp for the area, I'd say you're going to have a heck of a time getting an accurate calculation.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:23 AM

I got that
Design outdoor temp 33.6
Heating degree days 5000

But the rest still is a mistery!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:52 AM

563 posts, read 770,923 times
I would start with Google, there are tons of websites dedicated to that issue.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:11 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,886,597 times
Heating degree days? What is that definition? Number of days (time) times average temperature delta for that day? Is this a delta T duration problem here?

Also, is this real life or theoretical? Are you trying to outfit your house, or do a physics/chemistry problem?

(BTW, i believe the heat loss is dependent on thermal transmissivity. That depends on surface area exposed and insulation/heat transfer rate. THAT depends on the delta T. So you get your Area times Transmisivity (for each area) times your delta T, times time and you get your energy transferred.)

Old 10-13-2009, 02:50 PM

I'm converting from electric to gas, its old house and need alot of work, and this is the first step. In order to get permits to install the new gas furnace and AC i have to provide township with heat loss calculation, i don't care how it will come out or what it would say, as long as the township will approve and i can move on with furnace install and the rest of construction.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:52 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,886,597 times
That's tough then, that seems like code, not science... I wish I could help you there, but I would suggest you Google it and possibly put in some tag lines like "gov" into the search to get the official site and requirements.

You could always call them up and ask them really nicely too you know!

Old 10-14-2009, 05:46 AM

9,125 posts, read 23,763,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValBen View Post
I'm converting from electric to gas, its old house and need alot of work, and this is the first step. In order to get permits to install the new gas furnace and AC i have to provide township with heat loss calculation, i don't care how it will come out or what it would say, as long as the township will approve and i can move on with furnace install and the rest of construction.
Ummm, the building department isn't going to just accept some half-assed calculation that you come up with- you may not care what the calculation says, but they will. The calcs typically have to be done either by a licensed engineer or by the HVAC/plumbing contractor that's pulling the permit, and have to show that the furnace being installed is properly sized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey