U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-14-2009, 06:24 AM

37 posts, read 71,404 times
Default Madison Vs Morris tshp-what would you do?

Hubby and I are buying our first home. We've been in the market for months. We just got married and plan on starting a family in the next year. Looking to immerse ourselves in a nice community where we can make new friends and raise a family.
We are down to two choices-same price, same taxes:

1) Madison: Cute small home (1500 sq feet) on wonderful neighborhood street. Great living space (family room extension), big basement but ceilings are probably too low to finish. 2 full bathrooms - 3 bedrooms. Great deck and yard. We'd be very comfortable there only until after 2 kids (4/5 years?), then would have to build on it or move. House is good as is, might need to upgrade electrical system and while I like the kitchen, have a design idea that isn't too complicated that would make it amazing.

2) Morris Township - Very nice neighborhood feel yet still close to downtown Morristown. House is double the size, and gorgeous. Closet space to die for, huge finished basement, 4 bedrooms and 31/2 baths. Needs a little updating (not major, just 1 outdated bathroom and would like to open up a wall in the kitchen) No yard really but great deck. Granted, we don't need 3000 sq feet right now, but we could stay there a long time. That said, not too long because I want my kids in top public school systems.

So....what would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 06:48 AM

1,985 posts, read 4,717,632 times
Madison, assuming you can add a great room and/or 4th bedroom onto the house.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:04 AM

3,227 posts, read 6,038,057 times
No doubt Madison.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:05 PM

37 posts, read 71,404 times
Thanks-that's what I think too... just needed some confirmation. Some family members think we are crazy for choosing location over home, but isn't that what it's all about...

Old 10-14-2009, 03:12 PM

54 posts, read 144,496 times
Default Madison

I would pick Madison - it is a great town and a community you can remain a part of (do not have to worry about school system). The school system is solid and I think your resale would be a lot better I think New Jersey location is everything - I know we could have purchased a larger house in another town - but bought a smaller house because we love the town and neighborhood we are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey