Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:14 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,765,133 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been there? near Cedar Grove HS. completely abandoned sanitorium on like 25 acres of property.

Pretty spooky to walk around there. Good place to check out if you are looking for something to do in this Halloween season.

Bring a flashlight, and you can check out the insides of a lot of buildings. It's really very creepy

Anyone know any other creepy places posters might want to visit to get in the Halloween mood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 06:53 AM

250 posts, read 683,298 times
The name of this place is Overbrook (Essex County Mental Hopital). There is a driveway that goes up to the top of the mountain where the old Overbrook used to be. My friends and I used to go up there and walk through the underground tunnels, the old chapel and find xrays, beds, medical equipment ect. It was very creepy...the wind would blow thru the abandonded wings of the building and make eerie sounds. At night was pitch black and really quiet....really creepy. Lots of santanic writings and we even stumbled upon a recent bird sacrifice in the the old chapel. The tunnels were under the basement with openings in the walls that also led you to other parts of the building.
This area was then closed off completely and the police acedemy were running drills up there. Now its been knocked down and a botanical garden, hiking paths and a new home development is going up, some with beautiful NY views. You can get to this area off of Mountain Ave in Caldwell, Courter Lane (which then becomes Sanitarium Rd) next to the park/baseball field will lead you to the top. You can also get there about 5 streets/driveways past Skytop rd going south on Fairview Ave.
I still have pics of the Old Overbrook somewhere...funny teenage memories. I have to admit it was pretty damn spooky.

This website has pics of the Old Overbrook and if you scroll down to the bottom they have more pics of the underground tunnels etc. You tube even has videos of peoples visits.

OverBrook Past Pictures

weirdnj.com - OVERBROOK/ESSEX COUNTY HOSPITAL

Essex County Hospital Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have a Happy Halloween

Old 10-16-2009, 07:07 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Wow very creepy but also knowing that back in it's heyday it was more then likely a nice facility. The buildings..so sad they could not have been salvaged & restored

Old 10-16-2009, 08:26 AM

861 posts, read 2,717,442 times
I did a college practicum there back in the 90's. Its a shame they let that facility go.
But I wouldn't recommend walking around at night there.... police patrol the area pretty heavily and will get ya for trespassing.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:53 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,790 times
People DO get arrested there for trespassing. Be VERY careful!!!
This is the best site I have seen about the old Overbrook Hospital in Cedar Grove.

Essex Mountain Sanatorium

The stories of people's experiences at the abandoned hospital are really scary & creepy! I read all of them one time and I was actually shaking in fear!

The site is also part of a web-ring of similar sites "abandoned asylums and sanatoriums" (if you are into that sort of thing) LOL!

abandoned asylums and sanatoriums haunted, jello, hauntings, sad, life, sanitarium, hospitals, no, sanitorium, sanatarium, urban, asylum, desolate, sanatorium, to, insane,

I always thought someone should make a horror-flick using the stories from the old sanatorium. I'd go see it for sure.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:04 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,751,150 times
I wouldn't recommend going into abandoned buildings to people! Sure it might be "fun" to be in a spooky setting around Halloween time but ghosts and ghouls aside lets think of the REAL LIFE dangers that could be lurking in these buildings! There could be fines/jail time if caught by authorities, no one is maintaing these buildings and there could be ceilings, floors, pipes that are ready to give at any moment and cause bodily harm, you don't know what unsavory members of society could have taken up residence there and may not take too kindly to intruders (would you really want to get into a fist fight with an HIV+ homeless man who is jacked up on drugs???) There could be animals in there that carry rabies (cats, racoons, rats even bats), there could be toxic mold you would be inhaling, even a rusty nail!! C'mon, halloween is supposed to be FUN not STUPID!

If you like to be scared out of your wits, find a haunted house you pay for. There are tons out there and they range from totally lame to extremely scary. There is one in NYC somewhere in the Village that is so scary that no pregnant women or people with heart conditions are allowed inside, google it i'm sure it won't be hard to find.

Happy Halloween!

Old 10-16-2009, 12:13 PM

13,403 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
I wouldn't recommend going into abandoned buildings to people! Sure it might be "fun" to be in a spooky setting around Halloween time but ghosts and ghouls aside lets think of the REAL LIFE dangers that could be lurking in these buildings! There could be fines/jail time if caught by authorities, no one is maintaing these buildings and there could be ceilings, floors, pipes that are ready to give at any moment and cause bodily harm, you don't know what unsavory members of society could have taken up residence there and may not take too kindly to intruders (would you really want to get into a fist fight with an HIV+ homeless man who is jacked up on drugs???) There could be animals in there that carry rabies (cats, racoons, rats even bats), there could be toxic mold you would be inhaling, even a rusty nail!! C'mon, halloween is supposed to be FUN not STUPID!

If you like to be scared out of your wits, find a haunted house you pay for. There are tons out there and they range from totally lame to extremely scary. There is one in NYC somewhere in the Village that is so scary that no pregnant women or people with heart conditions are allowed inside, google it i'm sure it won't be hard to find.

Happy Halloween!

Very true...those were my thoughts .....ugh...

I heard this haunted place inside an old prison is pretty good if you live out by PA

ESP :: Terror Behind The Walls (http://www.easternstate.org/halloween/schedule_and_prices/ - broken link)

Old 10-16-2009, 04:19 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,765,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post

Happy Halloween!

Wow you have no sense of adventure at all. I guess i like to live dangerously

Old 10-16-2009, 04:26 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,122 times
I would say about 15 years ago, I spent some time up in that place looking around. Growing up next to Newark I had thought I had seen scary places. Let me tell you this place is nuts and "fun" to walk around a a young kid. We did get chased by cops and lets just say I had to hitch a cab ride from Montclair to Harrison after jumping off the side of the hill that this place resides on. From my understanding this place has been torn down completely.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:54 PM

390 posts, read 1,510,213 times
I used to live down the street. We would walk there to play on the swing set they had on the property. It was back in the 70s when it was open and full. Never had any bad experiences with the residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey