U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 AM

7 posts, read 25,782 times

Advertisements

I am currently renting a home in Chatham and I am thinking about Morristown. Chatham is a great town with great schools but has no diversity and is expensive. I have read some bad things about certain sections of Morristown and I wanted to know how bad it really was in terms of crime.

The school system in Morristown is actually better than some of my other choices like South Orange, West Orange and Montclair so that seems like it could be a good choice.

A list of the top high schools in New Jersey by rank-www.njmonthly.com

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 10:04 AM

12,414 posts, read 22,609,642 times
Morristown is fine. It has a bad area, so just avoid it. There is nothing in that area you would want or need

Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 AM

7 posts, read 25,782 times
Where is the bad area?

Old 10-19-2009, 10:56 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,291,468 times
I'd think twice before pining to live in a town with a more "diverse" school district. Kids can fall into the wrong crowd pretty easily. Why take the chance.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:31 PM

3,269 posts, read 8,376,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frivera28 View Post
I am currently renting a home in Chatham and I am thinking about Morristown. Chatham is a great town with great schools but has no diversity and is expensive. I have read some bad things about certain sections of Morristown and I wanted to know how bad it really was in terms of crime.

The school system in Morristown is actually better than some of my other choices like South Orange, West Orange and Montclair so that seems like it could be a good choice.

A list of the top high schools in New Jersey by rank-www.njmonthly.com

Any thoughts?
You are thinking the schools will be OK becuase it's a better school system than some really crappy ones? What type of logic is that?

Old 10-19-2009, 06:58 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,267,085 times
I know that South Orange and Montclair are homes to many very well educated families whose kids go thru the public schools and onto fine colleges. I'm not as familiar w. West Orange, so can't speak to that. Yes, lots of people in Morristown send their kids to private school, but it happens to be an incredibly wealthy area with plenty of great private schools. That doesn't mean the public schools stink. Half the people in short hills send their kids to private school, while everyone in the country is dying to move there to send their kids to the no. 1 rated public schools..... It's all relative.

Morristown ain't Newark by a long shot.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,078,859 times
No, it's not that bad at all.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:01 PM

12,774 posts, read 13,389,269 times
If diversity ranks high on your priorities for your child's education, Morristown trumps Chatham hands down.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:28 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,621,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
I know that South Orange and Montclair are homes to many very well educated families whose kids go thru the public schools and onto fine colleges. I'm not as familiar w. West Orange, so can't speak to that.
We have many neighbors who have sent their kids through the West Orange public schools and they have all said the schools are fine and have had no regrets. Our local West Orange newspaper gave a listing of all the colleges that the graduates were attending this year and it included many fine schools such as Cornell, Stanford, and Penn just to name a few.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:21 AM

2,312 posts, read 6,267,085 times
Thank you for the report on West Orange. Some people are ignorant and racist when it comes to test scores and school systems. People refuse to believe that children in large suburban school systems with kids from different races and economic backgrounds can get a good education and go to top schools.

These kinds of school systems are rare and valuable. There are many more cookie-cutter top rich suburban school districts out there churning out one size fits all graduates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey