U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Where to Buy???
East Brunswick, Middlesex County 6 66.67%
Springfield, Union County 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:45 AM

50 posts, read 109,658 times
Default Need help deciding desperately

East Brunswick or Sprinfield???? We are between 2 properties. One located in Springfield in a very nice neighborhood selling for $425,000 needs a lot of fixing (minimum $70,000 for new kitchen, baths, floors, heating and ac replacement). The other property in East Brunswick $525,000 located in a beautiful neighborhood, nothing to be done, but just move in (has an in ground pool)

Taxes are very similar, but taxes tend to go up faster in EB
EB is 15 minutes (no traffic) farther to my work in West New York
EB Force Air heating, Springfield baseboard heading
EB has bigger bedrooms but Springfield has bigger LR, DR and family Rm
EB has a finish basement, Springfield's basement is only for storage
EB 2 car garage, Springfield 1 car Garage. (We have 3 cars)
EB 3 bathrooms, Springfield 2 bathrooms. (We are a family of 6)

Schools according to the NJ Monthly are better in Springfield, but SAT, HSPA Scores and the number of those passing AP courses are much better in East Brunswick. Springfield is relatively small school with 143 seniors vs EB with 769.

Please post your opinion. I have to make a decision ASAP!!
Any Opinion will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 11:14 AM

10,818 posts, read 15,135,889 times
Are you really going to decide based on a poll
Only you can decide based on the pros/cons you listed and how they fit in with your life style

Based only on what you posted the EB house sounds like a no brainer

Old 10-19-2009, 11:18 AM

555 posts, read 961,857 times
EB home sounds like a no brainer to me as well... it's larger and you can finance the extra cost over 30 years below 5% interest... not sure where you'd get the $70k to do improvements on the other home and the improvements would likely result in less value added to your home then money spent. In this market, always buy the home ready to go, let someone else waste the money on upgrades before you buy it!

Old 10-19-2009, 11:21 AM

2,771 posts, read 3,682,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoila View Post
East Brunswick or Sprinfield???? We are between 2 properties. One located in Springfield in a very nice neighborhood selling for $425,000 needs a lot of fixing (minimum $70,000 for new kitchen, baths, floors, heating and ac replacement). The other property in East Brunswick $525,000 located in a beautiful neighborhood, nothing to be done, but just move in (has an in ground pool)

Taxes are very similar, but taxes tend to go up faster in EB
EB is 15 minutes (no traffic) farther to my work in West New York
EB Force Air heating, Springfield baseboard heading
EB has bigger bedrooms but Springfield has bigger LR, DR and family Rm
EB has a finish basement, Springfield's basement is only for storage
EB 2 car garage, Springfield 1 car Garage. (We have 3 cars)
EB 3 bathrooms, Springfield 2 bathrooms. (We are a family of 6)

Schools according to the NJ Monthly are better in Springfield, but SAT, HSPA Scores and the number of those passing AP courses are much better in East Brunswick. Springfield is relatively small school with 143 seniors vs EB with 769.

Please post your opinion. I have to make a decision ASAP!!
Any Opinion will be greatly appreciated.
I think you need to go back and think a little more about what you want in terms of space/commute time/budget/sweat equity tradeoffs.

I'm really skeptical about test scores as a measure of a schools performance. Students who go to schools where the average test score is higher, score higher on those tests (on average). It shouldn't take much effort to figure out that this is a tautology and not a very good way to measure how good the school is.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Are you really going to decide based on a poll
I'm not going to decide just based on the poll but I will take it in consideration as well as all opinions. Any input about the schools?

Old 10-19-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
I'm really skeptical about test scores as a measure of a schools performance. Students who go to schools where the average test score is higher, score higher on those tests (on average). It shouldn't take much effort to figure out that this is a tautology and not a very good way to measure how good the school is.
I'm Skeptical too. I whish there was a better measurement! Since the quality of the school system is very important to my decision.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
you can finance the extra cost over 30 years below 5% interest...
Very good point!

Old 10-19-2009, 12:52 PM

1,614 posts, read 3,627,911 times
I think the better value would be EB. To me it would be a nightmare to have to do all those renovations. The only advantage to doing the renovations is that you then have the ability to customize everything exactly the way you want it. But it sounds like a huge undertaking and you never know what the final cost could end up being.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:02 PM

2,771 posts, read 3,682,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoila View Post
I'm Skeptical too. I whish there was a better measurement! Since the quality of the school system is very important to my decision.
The better measurement is to check them out yourself -- call the schools, ask if you can visit, etc.

It looks from what you posted that there aren't that any advantages besides the shorter commute to Springfield.

But then, I'm not familiar with the two areas.

The Springfield house is not necessarily cheaper. You negotiate the price down a few percentage points and the EB place costs exactly the same as Springfield after repairs (assuming no budget overruns in repairs!)

Old 10-19-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I think the better value would be EB. To me it would be a nightmare to have to do all those renovations. The only advantage to doing the renovations is that you then have the ability to customize everything exactly the way you want it. But it sounds like a huge undertaking and you never know what the final cost could end up being.
That is exactly my motivation when it comes to the House in Springfield I know I will be able to customize it to my family's need and taste. Also houses in Springfield are more expensive. For example the same house in EB if located in Springfield it would cost over $600,000

Last edited by Zoila; 10-19-2009 at 01:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey