U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:12 PM

14 posts, read 22,165 times
Default What bank do you use? I need a GOOD bank!

Im tired of those awful banks that hold your payroll checks for days..charge overdraft fees when it is unwarranted etc.....please help!

Im in central NJ (freehold Area)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 02:16 PM

401 posts, read 1,256,988 times
I personally use Pnc Bank. I previously had Td bank but they nickel and dime you with fees. Is it possible for you to get your pay check direct deposited? If so, the money is available the same day the direct deposit comes in. I dont have direct deposit but when i go in to deposit my check, i tell them to put it in as cash and its available right away. Alot of people go to Td bank because they have long hours but Pnc bank branches in Stop n Shop are open till 730pm as well. I have no complaints about Pnc.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:18 PM

17,228 posts, read 13,241,627 times
i use tdbank. i have my pay direct deposited into my account so its ready to use right away. i dont keep much money in that account so there isnt much risk of me having trouble with them. i chose them originally for the hours and there is a branch right by my work.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:57 PM

826 posts, read 1,403,113 times
I use Affinity Federal Credit Union and LOVE them!!! Can't say enough good things about them. I use for my Savings Account, and they even just did my mortgage. Impeccable!

Old 10-22-2009, 03:18 PM

587 posts, read 1,241,002 times
Most banks have the same rules and fees just try to find something that is convenient to you location. If your company offers direct deposit I suggest you use it so you won’t have to wait for the check to clear. I use 3 banks and a high yield internet savings account and my wife has accounts in two different banks. My main one is BoA and Wells Fargo but I also have a TD account since its open 7 days a week and closes later than other banks. With internet banking we rarely have to go to the bank but if we need to we have many options, especially avoiding ATM charges.
Oh btw if you have enough money in the account to cover the check then you can cash the check immediately. But then again if you had enough to cover the check then you wouldn’t mind a few days wait.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:53 PM

10 posts, read 10,671 times
USAA!!! its online and they have really good protection. Good for us military folk when we deploy

Old 10-22-2009, 06:10 PM

4,086 posts, read 4,869,727 times
For a big bank, I love Chase. TDBank is pretty good, they were better as Commerce. I would also recommend searching for a credit union.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:19 PM

390 posts, read 968,450 times
First Financial Credit Union has a branch in Freehold and Howell. I dont know how long they hold payroll checks. It does depend on the routing numbers.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 PM

19,892 posts, read 8,930,452 times
B of A is pretty good.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:07 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,130,168 times
Ive used Chase, BOA, Commerce/TD and PNC and they are all the same IMO as far as simple checking/savings. I personally havent stepped inside a branch in maybe 8 years so whats most important to ME is their web site functionality and their availability of ATMs. Im currently with BOA and couldnt be happier.

One way to make your payroll check available right away is to keep enough to cover the check in a savnigs account at all times. This way you never have to worry about the "hold". All banks hold checks until they clear if you dont have enough to cover the check. All banks take 3-5 days to clear a check. If your bank is taking longer, then imo you have a case to change. Otherwise it will be about the same no matter where you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey