U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 04:15 PM
ejg ejg started this thread

3 posts, read 45,631 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Looks like we might be moving to Vernon, NJ soon... My husband works in NYC. Can anyone tell me how is the commute? By bus the options are Stockholm or Warwick. The Warwick bus seems to be more frequent. Does anyone have any comments on the Warwick bus commute?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively

Old 05-09-2007, 04:29 PM

1,346 posts, read 1,836,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejg View Post
Hi everyone,

Looks like we might be moving to Vernon, NJ soon... My husband works in NYC. Can anyone tell me how is the commute? By bus the options are Stockholm or Warwick. The Warwick bus seems to be more frequent. Does anyone have any comments on the Warwick bus commute?

Thanks!

no matter how you slice it, if you are commuting at peak times, it will stink.
I think you should do some research before commiting to buying there.
I am sure that there are many people who've recently moved that can share their insights with you.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:16 PM

12,284 posts, read 33,035,613 times
i personally wouldn't do it. had family that commuted from Sparta to NYC and it was 2hrs each way - and Vernon is further.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i personally wouldn't do it. had family that commuted from Sparta to NYC and it was 2hrs each way - and Vernon is further.
people get seduced by the wide open spaces and rural atmosphere, they then get trapped into swapping time for money. I agree commuting from up there doesn't make sense but let those people do the research and see if it makes sense for them

Old 05-10-2007, 07:31 AM

1,080 posts, read 4,297,802 times
Default Vernon

My hubby commuted to Tarrytown, NY from Vernon it took him an hour and half to get there, so a three hour commute each day. Through rain, snow he would make the journey and sometimes guys from the Bronx, couldn't get to the job, but my husband did.

The bus out of Warwick is a looonnnngg ride, nearly two hours, with many stops along the way.

Why are you moving to Vernon? Taxes there are a killer, one A&P to shop in
no movies, no shopping, but the school system is very good in lower grades
the people are friendly, the country side is beautiful. But to communte into NY every day can be a real bummer. The communte for some starts at 5:30 or earlier, watch the cars climb 515 onto route 23 and heading south,
coming home its even worse, backs up at Butler or Riverdale. After working 8 hours, then sit in traffic another hour or two, sort of gets you crazy.

Good luck on your move...........I love Vernon.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
My hubby commuted to Tarrytown, NY from Vernon it took him an hour and half to get there, so a three hour commute each day. Through rain, snow he would make the journey and sometimes guys from the Bronx, couldn't get to the job, but my husband did.

The bus out of Warwick is a looonnnngg ride, nearly two hours, with many stops along the way.

Why are you moving to Vernon? Taxes there are a killer, one A&P to shop in
no movies, no shopping, but the school system is very good in lower grades
the people are friendly, the country side is beautiful. But to communte into NY every day can be a real bummer. The communte for some starts at 5:30 or earlier, watch the cars climb 515 onto route 23 and heading south,
coming home its even worse, backs up at Butler or Riverdale. After working 8 hours, then sit in traffic another hour or two, sort of gets you crazy.

Good luck on your move...........I love Vernon.
and wait until you have to deal with fridays in the summer

Old 05-10-2007, 02:09 PM
ejg ejg started this thread

3 posts, read 45,631 times
Thank you for all your input! I think we might need to reconsider. The good thing is that we have options. Does anyone know how the commute is from Allentown, NJ? The train schedule from Hamilton shows approximately 1 hour commute, is this true?

Old 05-09-2008, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 18,289 times
Default one gets used to it

Hi - I've been living up here since 1993 and commute every day to NYC. Of course commuting can be an adventure at times, but that can apply to Bergen County as well. I live in one of the townships of Vernon and take Canistear Road down every day to rte 23 to Newfoundland. It's OK in the morning ,you have to leave early, and the bus is always on time. The express buses at night is usually good too. ONly problem really with the commute is the PABT in NY, but no matter where you live in NJ which requires taking a bus, it's an issue. Only reason I'm moving is because I have to sell my house but it's nice. Plus there are other options to food shop in Franklin and Warwick NY. Everywhere is expensive, so it doesn't really matter where you go. Where I am the taxes are pretty low. good luck!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:29 AM

5,617 posts, read 14,335,441 times
You will hate the commute. Its bad, and not too many route out of Vernon. Forget it, unless you want 2 hours about each way. It gets more and more crowded too!! Not a good choice, and Vernon is not that cheap anymore!!! Just getting re-evaluated and tons of new taxes, and corruption in the town. Rule it out.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:37 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,295,798 times
Where in NJ isnt it getting crowded and who isnt getting re evaluated? tons of new taxes? corruption? ok the one school official last week which I agree was sickening...People make Vernon out to be so bad and it isnt......yes the commute will be long......my brother lived there for over 10 years and he finds the commute well worth it....I just wish people who have never lived there would stop making comments that arent true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey