Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:12 AM

15 posts, read 34,448 times

Advertisements

Its all about if you happy with the offer and that you can afford it. I think everybody gets cold feet but thats natural. Long as your happy with the decision you've made and trust Realtor. Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 10:08 AM

316 posts, read 942,969 times
Congrats on your new home purchase! I agree that Verona is a good town and you probably made the right move. But I have to be honest. Your realtor should have provided you all the market comparables first (or you should have done research yourself). Then you always know where your potential offers stand. Now, when there are multiple offers you sometimes have to go higher than you may want to. But I would still always go by the comps and always try to negotiate if at all possible. Check zillow and some other web sites for some basic ideas on the home value.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:10 AM

316 posts, read 942,969 times
plus remember, even the buyer's realtors only get paid if the house sells. they are all in this for the business reasons and most of them will reccomend whatever is possible to expedite the purchase!

Old 10-31-2009, 10:26 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieguns View Post
plus remember, even the buyer's realtors only get paid if the house sells. they are all in this for the business reasons and most of them will reccomend whatever is possible to expedite the purchase!
My buyers agent (and the listing agent) ended up taking a slight cut in commission to bring the price down to the comps (seller didn't have enough cash to bring to closing to sell at a good price).

Regarding comps -- if you can get them from your realtor, that is ideal because they can send you the full GSMLS listing including pictures, room sizes, etc of the sold comps.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:21 AM

17 posts, read 65,543 times
She did show me the comps but now that i think about it, she only looked up sold houses of the same style, i.e. split levels, so there weren't that many to compare and i'm not sure why i didn't ask her to look at everything (???). She didn't look at sold comps for everything in the town. i've looked at about 60 homes so far and this does seem like the best deal. Zillow estimate is at 5-6% lower than what we offered.... but with another buyer interested, she thought it best to offer full asking price.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:41 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latest obsession View Post
I don't plan on staying in this house for more than 5 years since it is on the small side.
Up until I read this sentence, I was going to tell you to relax, that you may have offered a bit too much for the house but that if your financial position is strong (20% down payment, 12 months of living expenses saved in FDIC insured accounts even after your down payment is made, purchase price of no more than 3x or max 4x your income) and you plan to be in the home a long time (at least 10 years) you should be OK.

However ... if you know you're going to want to sell in 5 years or less ... man alive, why would you even think of buying right now? Five years will go by in a blink, and there's a very good chance you stand to lose money on the purchase/sale of your house. Even if the price held stable over the next 5 years (inflation adjusted), you're looking at 6% less when you go to sell due to transaction costs. How much equity do you think you're going to build up in 5 years, given how much goes to interest in the early years of a mortgage and how house prices stand a good chance of a long, slow slide over the next few years?

It's impossible to know whether you're getting enough of a deal on this house to protect you from some of these very real risks. The old "hurry offer full price there's another offer on the house" trick seems to have been pulled on yet another buyer. You'll have to make your own choice, but at the very least you should insist on a clean inspection with no issues that are going to cost you even more money down the road.

Good luck.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:03 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Up until I read this sentence, I was going to tell you to relax, that you may have offered a bit too much for the house but that if your financial position is strong (20% down payment, 12 months of living expenses saved in FDIC insured accounts even after your down payment is made, purchase price of no more than 3x or max 4x your income) and you plan to be in the home a long time (at least 10 years) you should be OK.

However ... if you know you're going to want to sell in 5 years or less ... man alive, why would you even think of buying right now? Five years will go by in a blink, and there's a very good chance you stand to lose money on the purchase/sale of your house. Even if the price held stable over the next 5 years (inflation adjusted), you're looking at 6% less when you go to sell due to transaction costs. How much equity do you think you're going to build up in 5 years, given how much goes to interest in the early years of a mortgage and how house prices stand a good chance of a long, slow slide over the next few years?
The amount he takes out of the principal is about the same as the realtor commission, so his net gain or loss is approximately his down payment plus the increase (or minus the decrease) in value.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:29 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
The amount he takes out of the principal is about the same as the realtor commission, so his net gain or loss is approximately his down payment plus the increase (or minus the decrease) in value.
Well, exactly. Loss of (downpayment + decrease in value) is serious downside risk, and I see little upside gain in this environment, where you're planning on selling within 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey