U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 10:45 AM

324 posts, read 142,089 times
Default Why when I think about New Jersey, I assume all these horrific things?

I imagine New Jersey as being smokey and polluted, filled with dirt stained sidewalks walked on by overdone and colorful personalities. The buildings seem to be made out of plastic crates and everything is "pre-packaged". There is nothing 'natural' about that place. Also, people are obsessed with sandwiches and the housing structures are horrifically bland and generic. Where the heck do the accents come from? It makes people sound really 'rough' over there. Is it like a little world of it's own? I'd honestly hate to live in a plastic "pre-packaged" house and shop at a plastic grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 10:49 AM

783 posts, read 1,098,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
I imagine New Jersey as being smokey and polluted, filled with dirt stained sidewalks walked on by overdone and colorful personalities. The buildings seem to be made out of plastic crates and everything is "pre-packaged". There is nothing 'natural' about that place. Also, people are obsessed with sandwiches and the housing structures are horrifically bland and generic. Where the heck do the accents come from? It makes people sound really 'rough' over there. Is it like a little world of it's own? I'd honestly hate to live in a plastic "pre-packaged" house and shop at a plastic grocery store.
You have a lot of strange complaints about NJ. 99% of the reasons people dislike NJ have to do with the taxes, political corruption, cost of living, etc. but you've ignored all of that and really took it to another level. *********.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:55 AM

324 posts, read 142,089 times
I'm not speaking of the political attributes of the state. I'm speaking of the physical well-being of the place. Let's not get into politics. Thanks for calling me a nine letter word that had to be censored, I take it with pride.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:05 AM

2,771 posts, read 3,682,356 times
Quote:
It seems to me that you haven't seen very much of NJ.

There are plenty of beautiful leafy suburbs as well as large nature preserves along the Watchung mountains (e.g. around Essex County, some examples of suburbs that run along the Eastern face of the first Watchung mountain are South Orange, Montclair, West Orange, Little Falls and Short Hills.)

So it's a bit of a stretch to say there is nothing "natural" about the place.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:18 AM

26,219 posts, read 45,899,992 times
Having grown up less than an hour from NJ I'd say that there is plenty to enjoy and love about the Garden State. Spend some time exploring Sussex, Warren, and Hunterdon Counties and you'll see some great natural beauty. The Jersey Shore is THE place to be during the summer.You have proximity to two of the nation's best cities. Granted a lot of people have "rough" attitude issues (especially the transplants flooding into PA), but all in all if someone with my discerning tastes is considering giving Phillipsburg, NJ a shot, then there's something here for everyone.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:27 AM

5,104 posts, read 6,379,943 times
Quote:
Stop watching the Sopranos.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:38 AM

5,309 posts, read 9,145,067 times
yhe question is what area are you in? I can recommend some nice areas, what do you like? What are you used to?

Old 10-31-2009, 11:44 AM

249 posts, read 450,886 times
Quote:
I've heard that before from people that claim they have visited the state. Turns out they only landed at the airport and got on the turnpike for the drive into NYC. There is more to the state of NJ than the area that you mention.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:59 PM

6,619 posts, read 7,067,919 times
Since it's your imagination that has conjured up those images, why not just imagine NJ as some of us see it - a little bit of everything, gorgeous beaches and sparkling ocean, acres of forestland, mountains and rivers, family neighborhoods in the suburbs, cities, great transportation, marvelous shopping, amd a place where most NY City folks would love to move - and do - in droves.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:31 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,040,151 times
Quote:
You would imagine incorrectly.

You wouldn't be a troll, would ya? Just trying to stir up some crapola...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey