U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,664 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are relocating to NJ form Western NY. We are both unfamiliar with the territory and were hoping someone could give us some feedback on the areas we have been considering moving to.

My boyfriend will be working in Piscataway and I will be traveling throughout the state, so a specific city isn't necessary. We were looking at Piscataway, Woodbridge, Rahway, Edison, and Perth Amboy.

Any thoughts or comments on the above mentioned cities??

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 09:48 PM

377 posts, read 744,133 times
Woodbridge and Edison are the two best of that bunch.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:26 PM

1,057 posts, read 495,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
Woodbridge and Edison are the two best of that bunch.
Agreed. Perth Amboy is a bit too gritty for my taste. Edison is centrally located and pretty much has something for everyone in terms of housing options. Generally speaking, same goes for Woodbridge.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:57 AM

1,235 posts, read 2,385,429 times
Working in Piscataway, I would try maybe New Brunswick or Highland Park, if you want to be near things to do. Or even just Piscataway itself, you'll still be close enough. Other than that, maybe try East Brunswick.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,331 times
Default RE: Best cities in NJ

have to say being a Jersey girl the best county is hands down Bergen, yeah you may pay a little more but if you have kids or want a safe place this is it. I think for the money check out Dumont apartments on Depew street. Great area and reasonable rent. Stay out of Bergenfield, it's become so ghetto.
Good luck to the original poster.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:01 AM

1,057 posts, read 495,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferdennis08 View Post
have to say being a Jersey girl the best county is hands down Bergen, yeah you may pay a little more but if you have kids or want a safe place this is it. I think for the money check out Dumont apartments on Depew street. Great area and reasonable rent. Stay out of Bergenfield, it's become so ghetto.
Bergen County seems too far north for these folks. He'll be working in Piscataway and she'll be traveling throughout the state. For someone who will have to be going in all directions, Edison is very centrally-located. You can hope on the PKWY to go north or south, TPK or Route 1 to go south/southwest or north, 287 to get northwest.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:33 AM

136 posts, read 433,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferdennis08 View Post

Why is Bergen "hands down" the best?

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but to make a blanked statement that it's the "best" is preposterous, Jen.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:25 PM

828 posts, read 1,469,198 times
Personally never a fan of Bergen County (the area or the people...)
Definitely disagree that it is "hands down the best"!
Plus it doesn't sound like where you will be working / traveling would be conducive to living in Bergen County anyway.

I agree with others who recommended the Brunswicks. Woodbridge is also very nice, but I would avoid Rahway.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,664 times
Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Old 11-02-2009, 11:23 PM

572 posts, read 828,736 times
Rahway and Carteret are changing their image quite a bit... Give them a look. You might like what you see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey