U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2009, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Highland, CA (formerly Newark, NJ)
6,183 posts, read 2,399,514 times
Reputation: 2150

Advertisements

Most of it is pretty working-class. Typical urban city. For the most part if you know what you're doing (I see you're from Brooklyn, urban working class areas probably aren't unfamiliar to you) you should be fine, but try to avoid Greeneville. Greeneville has lots of slums, open air drug dealing and violent crime but the rest of the town, while not perfect, is moderately safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2009, 08:42 PM
 
5 posts, read 12,899 times
Reputation: 16
Don't do it. This place is where all the Moderator cut: Language from NY move. It is awful. The schools the taxes everything about it. The people here live in a bubble from 1980. The camaro and tights are still in style and dear god stop wearing Madonna gummy bracelets. Seriously this place is very pretty too bad these people live here. By the way women it is ok to wear some make-up to cover your black circle around your eyes and perms are out.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-29-2009 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 09:07 PM
 
Location: North Bergen,NJ
578 posts, read 909,964 times
Reputation: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
What's your point? Are you trying to say that Paterson or Elizabeth are more livable than JC because JC has higher violent crime? Read my post #27 above. There are plenty of middle and upper class people moving into and living in Jersey City. Look at all the luxury condos along the waterfront and downtown. Even Trump has a building in JC. I don't see people flocking to move to Elizabeth or Paterson. Find me a luxury building in either of those cities. Sure JC may have more crime overall, but JC is a much larger city than Paterson or Elizabeth, and crime is concentrated to specific neighborhoods. I lived in downtown JC for 5 years and never had a problem with crime. So yeah, there is violent crime in JC, but the majority of residents will be unaffected by it. I don't care what JC's crime rate is, I wouldn't live in Elizabeth or Paterson if you paid me.
What is it with people on this board? Anytime something negative is mentioned about JC they get so upset? Im simply saying violent crime is HIGH in JC so was wondering why people knock Paterson and Elizabeth when in reality JC has some neighborhoods that are way worse?? I dont care if you woulndt live in Paterson or Elizabeth or that you like some generic luxury condo in downtown JC , im simply proving a point about JC, because some people choose to create their own stats. Not sure whats so hard about this that you cant wrap your head around it. As for not experiencing crime thats great for you, I also live in Newark and havnt experienced much crime either, its a crap shoot , some people are victims and some arnt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 09:36 AM
 
Location: NJ
1,685 posts, read 3,863,692 times
Reputation: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
What is it with people on this board? Anytime something negative is mentioned about JC they get so upset? Im simply saying violent crime is HIGH in JC so was wondering why people knock Paterson and Elizabeth when in reality JC has some neighborhoods that are way worse?? I dont care if you woulndt live in Paterson or Elizabeth or that you like some generic luxury condo in downtown JC , im simply proving a point about JC, because some people choose to create their own stats. Not sure whats so hard about this that you cant wrap your head around it. As for not experiencing crime thats great for you, I also live in Newark and havnt experienced much crime either, its a crap shoot , some people are victims and some arnt.
I think we all agree that crime is high in JC - I even said that in my previous post. The point is, that crime is confined to specific areas of the city, and other parts of JC are very desirable to live in. That's why people think very highly of JC and move there. Paterson and Elizabeth really don't have any desirable places to live, thus it's going to get more negative feedback even though the crime rates are about the same as JC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
2,771 posts, read 3,800,839 times
Reputation: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
What is it with people on this board? Anytime something negative is mentioned about JC they get so upset? Im simply saying violent crime is HIGH in JC
Violent crime varies greatly by neighborhood. Jersey City is a very large town with distinct neighborhoods that are not only far apart in distance but often separated by geographical barriers.

The fact that some monkey who knows nothing about statistics and nothing about Jersey City can quote statistic that adds up the crime in the desirable parts of town and in Greenville, does not mean that downtown is "the same as" Greenville, nor does it mean that the number represents a meaningful "average" of Greenville and downtown (because of the skewed nature of crime stats, these "averages" always reflect the higher crime areas)

Conceptually it makes about as much sense as pooling the entire area of Essex county (Newark, East Orange, Orange and Irvington alone have enough crimes to make the overall rate pretty high)

The reason people get annoyed is that they don't like their town being bashed by people who are ignorant (both about their town and about statistics)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 12:48 PM
 
312 posts, read 687,425 times
Reputation: 159
u can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. that's the impression i get from the JC luxury condos. sure there are some nice and convenient areas, but JC is still a dump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Highland, CA (formerly Newark, NJ)
6,183 posts, read 2,399,514 times
Reputation: 2150
Another thing I'd say is I've noticed the further south and the further west you go in JC it gets more dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 02:26 PM
 
Location: North Bergen,NJ
578 posts, read 909,964 times
Reputation: 154
Im not knocking JC, I love JC, Im simply giving facts because some people like to sugar coat the place. And just because certain areas of the city have a few block radius thats nice dosnt mean its wonderland outside of it. FWIW though the city has gotten better in terms of crime, same with Newark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
13 posts, read 34,205 times
Reputation: 21
I guess I'm reading different stats and newspapers than those of you who keep describing J.C. as "violent". It's not a pretty city visually by any means, except for the downtown area, but I'm not reading any articles about a rash of VIOLENT crime. ALL large (and many small) cities have *some* element of crime. If you want to avoid crime of any kind, try moving to Mayberry RFD. ^_^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
2,771 posts, read 3,800,839 times
Reputation: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by artDDS View Post
u can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. that's the impression i get from the JC luxury condos. sure there are some nice and convenient areas, but JC is still a dump.
By one objective metric -- how much property is worth there -- some neighborhoods in Jersey City are very desirable.

btw, the downtown area is not exactly a slum with a few luxury apartment complexes towering over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77
And just because certain areas of the city have a few block radius thats nice dosnt mean its wonderland outside of it.
Try all of downtown -- pretty much everything East of 78 and North of Liberty Harbor. That's not "a few blocks", that's an area almost the size of Hoboken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:33 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top