U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-09-2009, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Schools? I would recommend West Windsor-Plainsboro, South Brunswick or Montgomery.
east brunswick as well!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 09:51 PM

250 posts, read 584,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post

Generally when a bunch of Indians live near eachother in a better suburb they become white-washed because they become an influence on eachother in a foreign country. Not just Edison but several towns.
I don't understand what you are saying there. If anything, if a bunch of Indians stick together, they are less likely to become white-washed.

Anways, Edison is a decent place, and probably better for the kids coming fresh from India, esp. for the 10 yr. old. In Edison, there are more Indian/Hindu related activities going on, or accessible.

All of mid-upper income areas of Central and Northern NJ are used to Indians, moreso than South Jersey and the rest of the country, but there would be probably greater level of comfort for an Indian with kids, moving to Edison over Princeton.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:59 AM

1,235 posts, read 2,415,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayfan View Post
I don't understand what you are saying there. If anything, if a bunch of Indians stick together, they are less likely to become white-washed.

Anways, Edison is a decent place, and probably better for the kids coming fresh from India, esp. for the 10 yr. old. In Edison, there are more Indian/Hindu related activities going on, or accessible.

All of mid-upper income areas of Central and Northern NJ are used to Indians, moreso than South Jersey and the rest of the country, but there would be probably greater level of comfort for an Indian with kids, moving to Edison over Princeton.
Not Princeton, Plainsboro. Have you been to Plainsboro? I think they would be comfortable there, although I agree that Edison might be a good first stop too.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:33 AM

250 posts, read 584,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Not Princeton, Plainsboro. Have you been to Plainsboro? I think they would be comfortable there, although I agree that Edison might be a good first stop too.
dhanu wrote: "plainsboro/princeton area", whose comment I was responding to. plainsboro ok. btw, Edison doesn't have to just be a first stop.

I know many that came from India - haved live in Edison for over 20 years, and the kids turned out quite successful young adults (keeping their Indian heritage and not ashamed of it and not winding up so much as "American Born Confused Desis", like Indian kids raised in other towns, esp. out of Northern/Central NJ entirely. This while fitting in with other Americans as well.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:28 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,864,467 times
Indian families are conservative in terms of spending and save a lot more than an average American family. moving from Bangalore, i am sure you will be offered at least 60k. that salary should be enough to get you started here in NJ. you won't be able to save a lot as you did in India, but you will have enough to live comfortably in a 2br rental unit.

you can rent a 2br unit for anywhere between 1000-1300 and will have to sign a 12-month contract. Edison/Iselin schools are reasonably good and your kids will feel comfortable as the school demography is very diverse with lots of Indian kids.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:46 AM

1,235 posts, read 2,415,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayfan View Post
dhanu wrote: "plainsboro/princeton area", whose comment I was responding to. plainsboro ok. btw, Edison doesn't have to just be a first stop.

I know many that came from India - haved live in Edison for over 20 years, and the kids turned out quite successful young adults (keeping their Indian heritage and not ashamed of it and not winding up so much as "American Born Confused Desis", like Indian kids raised in other towns, esp. out of Northern/Central NJ entirely. This while fitting in with other Americans as well.
I didn't mean to diss on Edison, I think it's an ok town. The schools are better in Plainsboro is all I was trying to say. If I was this person, I would shoot for Plainsboro as long as he has a car and can commute to work. JMO.

As far as your second paragraph, are you familiar with Plainsboro and how large the Indian community is there? I don't see how an Indian child could grow up ashamed of being Indian in Plainsboro.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:52 AM

171 posts, read 319,592 times
I just personally feel the kids that grow up in edison are more street smart and urban since edision is right next to rahway, elizabeth and plainfield compared to plainsboro. Plainsboro kids I feel are lot more suburban than edison. Edison School system is not bad but nothing compared to WWS north that plainsboro kids go to.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:03 PM

23,932 posts, read 20,533,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
I didn't mean to diss on Edison, I think it's an ok town. The schools are better in Plainsboro is all I was trying to say. If I was this person, I would shoot for Plainsboro as long as he has a car and can commute to work. JMO.

As far as your second paragraph, are you familiar with Plainsboro and how large the Indian community is there? I don't see how an Indian child could grow up ashamed of being Indian in Plainsboro.

Yes, lots of Indian families in Plainsboro and West Windsor. I coach all youth sports there and am amazed at how many Indian-American kids come out for all sports.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:27 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,103,853 times
You do have a job waiting for you? Correct? Won't where that job is determine the best place for you to live? For the length of stay that your visa allows, at least?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:51 PM

6 posts, read 11,142 times
Friends

Many thanks for your replies. You all have been very helpful.

My office is in Metropark,NJ.

Thanks
nk33333
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey