Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:01 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Yes and try and find salary for more then $10 per hour unless you are a professional..It's all relative
Unless you are able to retire, have a home with no mortgage and a retirement income it's all relative
Hey, I moved out of Jersey 4 years ago and I am young. Yes it is all relative but the south gives one a dream of ever owning a home to a reality!
It is a better way of life and much more affordable than that $$$ rip off state of NJ. My Mom is 82 and retired for many years. The state of NJ forced her into taking a reverse mortgage. She cannot even afford that anymore. I have been telling her for years her money will stretch farther down here in Florida and will be a much better way of life down here for her. No more winter heating bills and winter clothes, and those high property taxes.
Plus I can take her everyday to the most beautiful beach I have ever seen.
She is finally waking up and is planning a move to live a better and CHEAPER way of life down here. I really do not know how the young and old are suriving the high taxes in NJ.
It is 82 and sunny with a gorgeous breeze down here right now. I would not have it any other way!
This is why most northerners are flocking to the southern states.
No state is perfect but the one I chose is perfect for me and lots of other people. It makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 12:19 PM

631 posts, read 719,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
wrong, all you state working cronies be afraid.

It's a shame you think my wife is a cronie. She works for that state and makes way less for it. I guess she deserves not to have a job with good benefits since she is making 40k less then what she would in the private sector. Get a clue.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:22 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,355 times
Is the OP a troll?

What in God's name has Corzine done for the middle class in NJ? Answer: NOTHING.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:28 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Is the OP a troll?

What in God's name has Corzine done for the middle class in NJ? Answer: NOTHING.
Wrong - he's facilitated the increase of your property taxes to astronomical levels. He's catered to the municipal workers and juiced their pensions. Shall I go on?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:35 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Hey, I moved out of Jersey 4 years ago and I am young. Yes it is all relative but the south gives one a dream of ever owning a home to a reality!
It is a better way of life and much more affordable than that $$$ rip off state of NJ. My Mom is 82 and retired for many years. The state of NJ forced her into taking a reverse mortgage. She cannot even afford that anymore. I have been telling her for years her money will stretch farther down here in Florida and will be a much better way of life down here for her. No more winter heating bills and winter clothes, and those high property taxes.
She is finally waking up and is planning a move to live a better and CHEAPER way of life down here. I really do not know how the young and old are suriving the high taxes in NJ.
It is 82 and sunny with a gorgeous breeze down here right now. I would not have it any other way!
No state is perfect but the one I chose is perfect for me and lots of other people. It makes sense.
Blondie621 - For someone like your Mom, moving to Florida at this stage of her life, is in her best economic interest. It's a real strain to live in any high-cost area with limited income. When your Social Security is $14,000 a year and your property taxes are $7000, you're not going to be living the lifestyle of "The Rich and Famous". However, for younger people who are still in the midpoint of their careers, moving South can be a "dicey" experience. Very high income earners often find that some Southern states' income tax rates offset the property tax savings they anticipated between NJ and their new home state. I have many Florida neighbors here in NC, that tired of the summers in Florida, lousy job market and can no longer afford to live in a state like NJ - even if they might have started out from NJ. We call them half-backs!

I'm glad things worked out for you and though I'd expect that your Mom may miss her old house and friends, this move would be really for the best. I hope her move goes smoothly and wish you and her all good things!

Old 11-04-2009, 12:37 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post

Well bless your lil ole heart....I'm happy you are happy....NJ isn't for everyone so all the haters just freakin MOVE already..it's a free country, there is no ball & chain tied to you azz keeping you here
I think I did say if you are retired, have no mortgage and a retirement income then yes the south may be just the ticket... even some of the urban areas like Atlanta may have a better salary scale just too bad your Mom didn't do that a few years ago...but if you need to work that's another story..yep FL is a dream land all right..you can pick up a short sale 3 bedroom casa down in the Fort Myers area for under $75K because all those people no longer have jobs and are losing ther homes......pages and pages of them on one real estate site

As for the 82 and gorgeous..that is not everyone's nirvana, many people prefer winter & winter sports such as skiing etc over hot humid buggy weather, if it works for you that is all that should matter to you

Last edited by njkate; 11-04-2009 at 12:47 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 12:51 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Well bless your lil ole heart....I'm happy you are happy....NJ isn't for everyone so all the haters just freakin MOVE already..it's a free country, there is no ball & chain tied to you azz keeping you here
I think I did say if you are retired, have no mortgage and a retirement income then yes the south may be just the ticket... even some of the urban areas like Atlanta may have a better salary scale just too bad your Mom didn't do that a few years ago...but if you need to work that's another story..yep FL is a dream land all right..you can pick up a short sale 3 bedroom casa down in the Fort Myers area for under $75K because all those people no longer have jobs and are losing ther homes......pages and pages of them on one real estate site
The Floridians that always seem to be the happiest are those people partying at some Miami mansion before someone discovers "the body" on CSI:Miami. Calling David Caruso!!! Now, where did I put those sunglasses?

Old 11-04-2009, 01:11 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
The Floridians that always seem to be the happiest are those people partying at some Miami mansion before someone discovers "the body" on CSI:Miami. Calling David Caruso!!! Now, where did I put those sunglasses?
yep.....the cocaine millionaires

Old 11-04-2009, 01:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
politicians are all scum. people get too emotional over their support of a particular politician. its pathetic.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:51 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
It's a shame you think my wife is a cronie. She works for that state and makes way less for it. I guess she deserves not to have a job with good benefits since she is making 40k less then what she would in the private sector. Get a clue.
You get a clue. Post an opinion, one with gusto, (a little fire?) on an open internet forum and we shall show up with accelerents or extinguishers. If she'd asked where to shop for a couch in East Brunswick, we'd be more polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey