Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,606,425 times

Advertisements

You did it right Jersey!!!!!! Congrats and thank you! (I'm originally from Clifton, NJ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 04:57 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,919,853 times
In Morris County Corzine only won two towns. Dover - (no shock there) but also Morristown which I did find surprising.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:23 PM

250 posts, read 904,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
It's good to see the counties growing in population also happend to be the red ones. Even my Burlington is pink Yiiiii-HAwwww. God Bless Dixie!
I think a lot of (suburban) people were fed up with the high taxes in NJ.

In the middle to upper income metro Phila. area,

Corzine did manage to hold Cherry Hill (Camden co.) and Voorhees(Camden co.) and Maple Shade(Burlington co.).

Perhaps towns with good public transportation have residents that don't mind the high state subsidies via taxes that support it will stick to Democrat, or be split half (swing vote), where towns like Mt.Laurel and Evesham that don't enjoy the access and are a little further from the urban areas tend to not want to be subsiders.

Towns like Willingboro and Burlington, that are predominately African American, overwhelmingly voted Democrat (Corzine).

Last edited by subwayfan; 11-05-2009 at 05:34 PM..

Old 11-05-2009, 05:29 PM

250 posts, read 904,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
New Jersey Political & Government News | New Jersey Statehouse - NJ.com

Evidently Christie won counties normally won by Democrats, such as Gloucester and Middlesex.

However, Corzine still won Cumberland County. There must be something in the drinking water in that county. Those of you who have visited there know what I mean.

But still:

Newark
Christie: 3,269; Corzine: 35,669; Daggett: 542
Irvington
Christie: 456; Corzine: 9,058; Daggett: 90
Camden
Christie: 878; Corzine: 5,029; Daggett: 124
Trenton
Christie: 1,378; Corzine: 8,730; Daggett: 283

In Livingston:
Livingston
Christie: 4,827; Corzine: 4,351; Daggett: 570 (Christie won Livingston?? Holy $h&t!)
A number of Gloucester Co. residents probably had a lower tolerance level to overall high taxes, than the residents in Cherry Hill. A Gloucester Co. resident figures the resident in Delaware or PA (not too far away) pays so much less in taxes and gets a better bang for the buck. A lot of residents are quite opposed to a proposed light rail into the county.

But it was more or less a swing vote county, unlike Ocean County which is Republican.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:49 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,969,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
It's good to see the counties growing in population also happend to be the red ones. Even my Burlington is pink Yiiiii-HAwwww. God Bless Dixie!
Burlington has been trending blue for a decade. Christie should've won by a lot more than he did.

I don't understand the jubilation. Like Christie winning is some big statement. He got less than 50% of the vote. Meaning 51% of the people who voted didn't want him to be governor.

I also wouldn't put too much into the party part of it. New Jersey republicans are a different animal from national republicans (let me rephrase that - people in NJ who sometimes vote for republicans) and NJ hasn't had a problem with electing a democrat to the white house and then electing a republican to the state house - and vice versa.

Last edited by solibs; 11-05-2009 at 06:05 PM..

Old 11-05-2009, 06:04 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,969,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayfan View Post
Perhaps towns with good public transportation have residents that don't mind the high state subsidies via taxes that support it will stick to Democrat, or be split half (swing vote), where towns like Mt.Laurel and Evesham that don't enjoy the access and are a little further from the urban areas tend to not want to be subsiders.
Property tax money doesn't pay for NJTransit. It's funded by the TTF. The Transportation Trust Fund is paid for with the gas tax (the lowest in the country), the sales tax, and a few other taxes related to motor vehicles and from toll money.

In other words, everyone who uses the roads pays for NJTransit. And seeing how it keeps about 1 million trips a day off the roads - it's well worth it.

PATCO, which you mentioned in regards to Gloucester County is funded by Delaware River Bridge tolls.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:20 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,630,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
In Morris County Corzine only won two towns. Dover - (no shock there) but also Morristown which I did find surprising.
Morristown, Dover, and Victory Gardens, in Morris County. Unsurprisingly, the most rundown areas of the county. Morristown has a mixed population and I expected it to vote Democratic. Dover is on the road to becoming Morris County's only ghetto.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:14 PM

20 posts, read 63,531 times
Camden County, proudly behind Corzine My town did narrowly go for Christie though..

Old 11-05-2009, 10:59 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,622,989 times
Wow, shocking that Passaic County, went red. It just shows that the voting in Paterson and Passaic, was very low.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:55 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
To have an election where Newark, Camden, Trenton, Paterson, and Irvington don't get their way? The feeling is divine.
the genius democrat electorate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey