Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 12:53 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times

Advertisements

It took less than 15 minutes for sure but I was walking from PATH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 06:02 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
It took less than 15 minutes for sure but I was walking from PATH.
the PATH station is 33rd and 6th, Penn Station 32nd bewtween 7th and 8th, those crosstown blocks are very long there and can easily add 10 minutes to the walk

Old 05-14-2007, 07:59 AM

80 posts, read 396,799 times
Default Why not Brooklyn?

I know someone who has a 1br apt in Brooklyn (Bensonhurst/Midwood) for $1100 a month. Huge apartment in a nice building. Also it has alot of parking, which is rare in Brooklyn. You can take the F train to Manhattan in 40-50 minutes. Cheaper too at $2 each way.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:01 AM

9 posts, read 48,395 times
thanks a lot guys...u r helping a lot to clear the fog ...I checked out the distance from path station...its just about a mile....may not be that bad a walk...I was more inclined towards NJ coz I know some people in Jersey City and Edison..and it might be easier living close by....but their cases are much diff than me...they manage in 500-600$ rent, sharing the apt...in midwest there is ton of land...so I didn't have to share rooms n all...subarban living is what I'm used to...I have a car and want to keep it.....looks like I may not achive the 45 min travel time..but 1hr each way would be ok then... I'll keep checking all the areas u all have mentioned...also I'm curious..is there much difference in income taxes if u live in NJ/CT/NY??

Old 05-14-2007, 09:27 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmidwest View Post
thanks a lot guys...u r helping a lot to clear the fog ...I checked out the distance from path station...its just about a mile....may not be that bad a walk...I was more inclined towards NJ coz I know some people in Jersey City and Edison..and it might be easier living close by....but their cases are much diff than me...they manage in 500-600$ rent, sharing the apt...in midwest there is ton of land...so I didn't have to share rooms n all...subarban living is what I'm used to...I have a car and want to keep it.....looks like I may not achive the 45 min travel time..but 1hr each way would be ok then... I'll keep checking all the areas u all have mentioned...also I'm curious..is there much difference in income taxes if u live in NJ/CT/NY??
income taxes are a bit cheaper in NJ than NY and ct has a strange system, they tax income and assets

Old 05-14-2007, 08:33 PM

9 posts, read 48,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Port Authority gives you access to times square trains that go over to Grand central. Also you can walk from the Path station to Grand central very easily. I did it every day and made good time. It depends on how much time one has I guess but it really was a very easy walk and Path is next to Penn station. Check out the towns between North Bergen and Cliffside Park in NJ if you will have a car with you.
I have a car..so if I find some place between North Bergen and Cliffside Park..do I drive to the PATH station...? Journal Square seems to be the closest station from that area....please advise..thx again..

Old 05-14-2007, 09:19 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
You can take a bus to Journal square or drive and park there. I have no idea about the parking now. You can take a bus to the Port Auth directly from many of those areas also. I don't know how much that costs these days but you can either walk or take the subway to grand central from PA once you get into the city. Also if you live in the Ft Lee area there is a bus or buses that take you over the GW bridge to the 179th street subway which you can take downtown.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:36 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
You can definitely walk from Port Authority Bus Term to Grand Central in 20 min (It's probably just about 1 mile). I think it would take most people a little longer to get there from Penn (about 1.5 or 1.75 mile?). Depends on your walking speed, traffic and sidewalk conditions, weather, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey