U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 01:18 PM

9 posts, read 35,483 times

Advertisements

I'm moving out of Midwest; would be working in NYC (42nd and 3rd)...I've to zero in on the place to live. 45 minutes one way travel, $1200pm rent for a 1 bedroom apt is what I have in mind. I own a car and don't want to sell it. Is it even realistic to achieve this living in NJ..? which areas? Unmarried..so school districts don't matter....any inputs are highly appreciated...thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 02:34 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,760,649 times
New Jersey mass transit will ONLY take you to Penn Station/Port Authority (both on the West side), not Grand Central (you might want to look at a map). So Westchester and Connecticut are better bets.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:17 PM

1,447 posts, read 3,351,639 times
Port Authority gives you access to times square trains that go over to Grand central. Also you can walk from the Path station to Grand central very easily. I did it every day and made good time. It depends on how much time one has I guess but it really was a very easy walk and Path is next to Penn station. Check out the towns between North Bergen and Cliffside Park in NJ if you will have a car with you.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:52 PM

1,346 posts, read 246,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmidwest View Post
I'm moving out of Midwest; would be working in NYC (42nd and 3rd)...I've to zero in on the place to live. 45 minutes one way travel, $1200pm rent for a 1 bedroom apt is what I have in mind. I own a car and don't want to sell it. Is it even realistic to achieve this living in NJ..? which areas? Unmarried..so school districts don't matter....any inputs are highly appreciated...thx
That part of NY is difficult to get to from NJ, you'd be better off living near places served by metro north trains that go into GCT. these would be Westchester County in NY or Fairfield county in CT. Or you could decide to live in NYC

Old 05-13-2007, 03:58 PM

You might want to look near the Bronx County line. Check the Metro North train station areas. Fairfield County is too far and too pricey for you. Lower Westchester there might be a few areas you could afford that would get you in under 45 minutes.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:35 PM

2,806 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Yeah I'd reccomend Westchester over Fairfield if you want to keep the door-to-door commute under 45 minutes. Stamford is really the only affordable somewhat cheap(er) place in lower Fairfield and the trains from there take about 45. Greenwich and Cos Cob are somewhat closer but VERY pricey.

Probably the best train access from Westchester can be had in White Plains. There are express trains leaving the White Plains station ever 4-10 minutes during the morning rush hour. Another popular big town is New Rochelle. The rents are a little bit pricey in these areas, but you might be able to find something for $1,200. I think the rents in White Plains for a 1br probably average closer to $1,400 a month.

You should also consider looking into some of the areas in Eastern Yonkers that have stations along the Harlem Line (next to the Bronx River Parkway). In most of eastern Yonkers, which is pretty nice you can find a 1 br for $1,000 or less. Stay away from Western Yonkers though, as that area is pretty sketchy. The trains in eastern Yonkers take about 30-35 minutes to get into the city, but they run local instead of express for the most part, so they make a couple of stops.

There are also a lot of smaller towns in Westcher that you might want to look into. Places like Eastchester, Tarrytown, North White Plains, Valhalla and Hartsdale are all pretty nice. These towns are much more laid-back and "slower" than places like White Plains/New Rochell/Yonkers. The rents in these areas can vary from town to town.

If you want the best train access though, definitely look into White Plains. The express train takes 35 minutes to get into Grand Central.

Also check out this map as it is very helpful: http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...N_GRAPHIC.html . It shows the commuting times from all of the train stations in the NYC area.

Keep in mind that the trains from New Jersey and Long Island do not go to Grand Central (at least not year though. the LIRR is going to have access to Grand Central eventually, but that is a couple years away from actually happening).

Old 05-13-2007, 11:43 PM

Commuting from a town like Stamford or White Plains will not come cheap on Metro North when you do this every day. If you can not afford that it is a huge problem and apartments do not come cheap in those areas. If you like burbs it might be worth it though as there are some very nice areas around there.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:46 PM

Westchester is expensive, but the fares on Metro North are not THAT much higher than NJ Transit, especially when you think of the time savings.

How higher do you think the monthly passes are? I would guess-timate that they are probably 20-25% higher in Westchester than in Jersey.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:00 AM

Actually I was comparing Metro North to the PATH price(not NJT). I would not have been able to afford NJT monthly pass back in the day. The PATH I could manage. Back then it was $2 a day round trip. Buses cost more and I don't know what Metro North costs now. NJT used to cost more on average then Metronorth I thought. But commute costs really add up and for a single person they can save money and gain convenience by avoiding the burbs-if they are willing to live in some unspectacular place.

That walk from the PATH at 33rd to Grand Central was pretty quick for me. I would at least consider it. The North Bergen bus to journal square was only 75cents(back in the 90's). If OP can afford some of the areas north of the city and likes those areas she will have more nice areas to choose from and with a car it helps to live in a nice safe area. I might say try more suburban in that case. I wouldn't worry about the Grand Central walk. It's not that bad unless you hate to walk or are strapped for time.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:44 AM

How long does it take? I thought it was like a 20 minute walk from Penn Station to Grand Central?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey