Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 11:18 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,624 times

Advertisements

A lot of the sleazier clubs in Seaside are gone now. They're being replaced with upscale condos, almost like something you'd see in Florida or, to a lesser extent, a coastal community in California.

Not that this is a bad thing per se as far as Seaside goes, but there are too many people moving here from North Jersey and trying to change the character of the Shore which, for all its faults, has worked for the past century. People buy a place a block from the boardwalk and then yell at the town council about how it's too noisy during the summer. Then they yell at the police department and the next thing you know, there are a hundred "Zero Tolerance" signs being put up and tickets are being given out to anyone who dares makes a peep after 10 p.m. in a resort community in the middle of July. They move next to a bar and then hire lawyers to sue the bar to get its liquor license taken away because they don't like crowds of people around actually attempting to have some fun. I always want to ask them - if you liked your town and lifestyle in North Jersey so much, why did you move? Being a "benny," to me, is more about your attitude than your address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 07:59 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
A lot of the sleazier clubs in Seaside are gone now. They're being replaced with upscale condos, almost like something you'd see in Florida or, to a lesser extent, a coastal community in California.

Not that this is a bad thing per se as far as Seaside goes, but there are too many people moving here from North Jersey and trying to change the character of the Shore which, for all its faults, has worked for the past century. People buy a place a block from the boardwalk and then yell at the town council about how it's too noisy during the summer. Then they yell at the police department and the next thing you know, there are a hundred "Zero Tolerance" signs being put up and tickets are being given out to anyone who dares makes a peep after 10 p.m. in a resort community in the middle of July. They move next to a bar and then hire lawyers to sue the bar to get its liquor license taken away because they don't like crowds of people around actually attempting to have some fun. I always want to ask them - if you liked your town and lifestyle in North Jersey so much, why did you move? Being a "benny," to me, is more about your attitude than your address.

I beg your pardon. Tempts sleazy? XS sleazy? Sorry you didnt get the scene at Tempts or XS. You never step foot in any of those places how would you know what they were?

Old 11-26-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
I beg your pardon. Tempts sleazy? XS sleazy? Sorry you didnt get the scene at Tempts or XS. You never step foot in any of those places how would you know what they were?
Funny that you knew exactly which places might be referred to as "sleazy" given that I never mentioned the name of any specific clubs.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:05 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,620,806 times
Default Incorrect!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Obnoxious NYer types make for great reality tv.

They are not from New York. YouTube states they are from NORTHERN NEW JERSEY.........

Old 11-26-2009, 10:23 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
They are not from New York. YouTube states they are from NORTHERN NEW JERSEY.........
That may be true................. But the Mecca & Medina of these types is & has always been New York. Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island are the holy motherland of meatheads.
It seems that the NY media has done a good job of placing the overwhelming blame on NJ. That may work for overweight, undereducated mid westerners............. But you & I know better.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:43 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
That may be true................. But the Mecca & Medina of these types is & has always been New York. Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island are the holy motherland of meatheads.
It seems that the NY media has done a good job of placing the overwhelming blame on NJ. That may work for overweight, undereducated mid westerners............. But you & I know better.
110% agree.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:04 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,618 times
Quote:
Funny that you knew exactly which places might be referred to as "sleazy" given that I never mentioned the name of any specific clubs.

Not exactly ashamed that I was a benny bringing my money to the shore for many many years. Rented for the season in Belmar,Ortley and Seaside Park for years and the owners never complained about my money. Regarding the clubs, yes I went pretty much every single week and just everything is relative. You find them sleazy I didnt, no big deal.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Not exactly ashamed that I was a benny bringing my money to the shore for many many years. Rented for the season in Belmar,Ortley and Seaside Park for years and the owners never complained about my money. Regarding the clubs, yes I went pretty much every single week and just everything is relative. You find them sleazy I didnt, no big deal.
The clubs themselves weren't sleazy. Many of them were pretty nice. It was the meathead clientele that made them get the reputations they did. If you were one of the people who enjoyed some of these places without fitting that mold, you should be on my side. I'm bummed these places are all gone just like you are. But it's the fault of the people who went there more than anything else. If people didn't act like jerks, there would have been no calls from the local residents to redevelop these places. There's always a tipping point.

As far as "your money," eh, whatever. I don't make any money off the bennies coming. Hell, I have to pay MORE to party in my own hometown all summer because you people are willing to pay $6 for a Bud Light and $9 for a rum and coke.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:57 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times
Quote:

I concur, we get that here in the rural parts. People buy houses, sight unseen, and then complain that it's next to a smelly pig farm that's been there for over a century, or they buy a house next to railroad tracks and complain about the trains.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:14 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
I swear they better not trash my beautiful Jersey Shore.

I'll be one of those random people who beats up a cast member outside of a club lol j/k, it happens on like every MTV show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey