U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-15-2009, 05:38 PM

195 posts, read 295,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
good point. there's enough traffic as it is in that area. we certainly don't need the largest mall in America to be in New Jersey. i think we have enough...

isn't this similar to the Palisades Center up in New York? it's pretty much the same thing only on a smaller scale and without an indoor ski slope. honestly, there's really no good place for it. NE Jersey is already too crowded, NW Jersey is one of the last rural areas in beautiful New Jersey and we don't need that ruined. it would never fly in Morris County, where I grew up. the residents wouldn't want all that congestion. perhaps there's room in South Jersey for it?
Maybe it is best left where it is. The area is already a steaming pile of overbuilt, traffic laden, retail turd, so perhaps it's best to keep all of the crap concentrated in one area; sort of like a garbage dump.

Or, maybe Camden would be a more appropriate location. They could certainly use the jobs and the potential tourism revenue. Xanadu plus the Aquarium might be a tempting road trip.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 05:49 PM

825 posts, read 1,964,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Chin View Post
Maybe it is best left where it is. The area is already a steaming pile of overbuilt, traffic laden, retail turd, so perhaps it's best to keep all of the crap concentrated in one area; sort of like a garbage dump.

Or, maybe Camden would be a more appropriate location. They could certainly use the jobs and the potential tourism revenue. Xanadu plus the Aquarium might be a tempting road trip.
Not a half bad idea building it in Camden. Down in South Jersey, all there is down there is Camdem, and then everywhere outside of Camden is nice. Up here, the dumpy areas extend a good 15 miles outwards of Manhattan.

This Xanadu does seem like a cool place where families can go for a day trip and have fun. It does have a lot of cool stuff like Cabela's, Benihana's, Funplex, concert halls, all that good stuff. But I think it's just too much stuff in one area. I'm not sure how successful this Xanadu place is gonna be.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
Not a half bad idea building it in Camden. Down in South Jersey, all there is down there is Camdem, and then everywhere outside of Camden is nice. Up here, the dumpy areas extend a good 15 miles outwards of Manhattan.

This Xanadu does seem like a cool place where families can go for a day trip and have fun. It does have a lot of cool stuff like Cabela's, Benihana's, Funplex, concert halls, all that good stuff. But I think it's just too much stuff in one area. I'm not sure how successful this Xanadu place is gonna be.
The Vineland area might be another good spot in South Jersey, but I think that Camden would be a more strategic location; it's close to Philly (where many people go to as is for vacation/road trips), and they already have the Aquarium; so why not build upon that to further establish Camden as a family destination?

I agree with you In theory, Xanadu is a nice idea; but it seems like overkill, in so many ways, for the area in which it's being built.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:10 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,968,998 times
Quote:
It will also be opened on Sunday's
Unless the giants and Jets enforce the clause in their contract with the state closing it if it becomes a problem. Plus the fact, it isn't a mall. It's a entertainment complex. Just in time for all those families just making ends meet to spend ridiculous amounts to ski in the summer. Malls are filing bankruptcy claims left and right so the chance of this venue becoming a wild overnight success is slim to none. The anchor store which I'm guess ing will be Cabelas is seeing sales reducing and scaling back. I think if they had the option they would have pulled out long ago.

To compare Xanadu to the Mall of America is a joke. Have you ever been to the MOA? The restrooms in the MOA are bigger than the Xanadu complex.

You certainly are trying to put a happy face on this disaster. I'm afraid no one is buying it. At best people will go to walk around and take a look. But beyond that they aren't going to dump a large amount of money into the attractions.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:20 PM

2,696 posts, read 4,694,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Unless the giants and Jets enforce the clause in their contract with the state closing it if it becomes a problem. Plus the fact, it isn't a mall. It's a entertainment complex. Just in time for all those families just making ends meet to spend ridiculous amounts to ski in the summer. Malls are filing bankruptcy claims left and right so the chance of this venue becoming a wild overnight success is slim to none. The anchor store which I'm guess ing will be Cabelas is seeing sales reducing and scaling back. I think if they had the option they would have pulled out long ago.

To compare Xanadu to the Mall of America is a joke. Have you ever been to the MOA? The restrooms in the MOA are bigger than the Xanadu complex.

You certainly are trying to put a happy face on this disaster. I'm afraid no one is buying it. At best people will go to walk around and take a look. But beyond that they aren't going to dump a large amount of money into the attractions.
Hello nobody has an answer to Blue Laws? Garden State Plaza and Ikea to name a few will be crying foul

Old 11-15-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Hello nobody has an answer to Blue Laws? Garden State Plaza and Ikea to name a few will be crying foul
I thought the Blue Laws were unique to Paramus, and not a Bergen County ordinance?

Old 11-15-2009, 07:30 PM

7,635 posts, read 8,166,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Chin View Post
The Vineland area might be another good spot in South Jersey, but I think that Camden would be a more strategic location; it's close to Philly (where many people go to as is for vacation/road trips), and they already have the Aquarium; so why not build upon that to further establish Camden as a family destination?

I agree with you In theory, Xanadu is a nice idea; but it seems like overkill, in so many ways, for the area in which it's being built.
If they put it in Camden on the prison site, it might have answered a lot of prayers.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:04 PM

2,559 posts, read 3,206,502 times
This topic is PERFECT for Citizen Chin's faux NJ outrage.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
This topic is PERFECT for Citizen Chin's faux NJ outrage.
Yes, yes it is.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:48 PM

594 posts, read 288,010 times
OMG half of you are negative about the new enterteiment mall - Moderator cut: Language be happy & enjoy!
You guys are always negative... - BE POSITIVE!

Regards to the blue law in Bergen County - I was also surprised that they will remain open on Sunday's, but that's good.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-29-2009 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey