Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:52 PM

195 posts, read 491,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
There are other concept malls that suggest differently. Go look up the Mall of America, in Minnesota. Forty million visitors in 2006.
Sure, but it's in Minnesota, not off of the scenic NJ Turnpike in the middle of industrial decay, nestled between the Turnpike, Rt 21, Rt. 3 and Rt. 120; just lovely. I can only imagine the impression someone would get of NJ, flying into Newark Airport, and traveling up either Rt. 21 or the Turnpike to get to Xanadu; all the negative stereotypes in living color.

Besides, a mall of this size is an energy bandit, a true environmental nightmare. Add to it an indoor ski slope; imagine the power it must take to keep it going, especially in summer. Had they planned to supplement the power to the mall with solar cells (there's certainly enough real estate on that massive box of a mall) or even windmills, they could have at least attempted to greenwash the project. They could have at least colored it white to reflect heat off of it in the summer, and then rolled out black tiles in the winter to gather heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 09:56 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,689,910 times
If this a press release, it's written poorly. At least learn how to spell "entertainment".

It looks like Nigerian scam-mail.

PLEASE BE OFFERING TO YOU NEW MALL BY AMERICAN FOOTBALL STADIUM!

Old 11-15-2009, 06:41 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Chin View Post
Willowbrook is open on Sundays and there are plenty of buses from Manhattan to get there on.
You are not really comparing Xanadu to Willowbrook are you? Totally different concepts - if your hatred for NJ didn't blind you, it might be obvious this place is not your average mall.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
You are not really comparing Xanadu to Willowbrook are you? Totally different concepts - if your hatred for NJ didn't blind you, it might be obvious this place is not your average mall.
I understand that, it's as much of an indoor amusement park as it is a mall. My problem with it is largely location and the effects it will have on an already incredibly congested, polluted, and generally overburdened area. If it were built in Morris County it wouldn't be any less successful. Buses would shuttle folks from NYC just the same.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:14 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Quote:
I understand that, it's as much of an indoor amusement park as it is a mall. My problem with it is largely location and the effects it will have on an already incredibly congested, polluted, and generally overburdened area. If it were built in Morris County it wouldn't be any less successful. Buses would shuttle folks from NYC just the same.
Well, if you understand that - stop comparing it to Willowbrook or Paramus Park.

I think a destination like this is needed in North Jersey. I will definitely be taking my kids there on a regular basis. I can't understand why you would hope it fails. I don't believe for one second you are concerned about the area, I think it can easily support this project. Your "Leave NJ" agenda screams out in every post you make on this subject...and don't think people reading your posts aren't smart enough to see it too.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Well, if you understand that - stop comparing it to Willowbrook or Paramus Park.

I think a destination like this is needed in North Jersey. I will definitely be taking my kids there on a regular basis. I can't understand why you would hope it fails. I don't believe for one second you are concerned about the area, I think it can easily support this project. Your "Leave NJ" agenda screams out in every post you make on this subject...and don't think people reading your posts aren't smart enough to see it too.
I would hope it fails because of the corruption, environmental distress, and horrible increase in traffic that it brings with it, not to mention the aesthetic blight that it is. I favor less of those things versus a new playground for the kids. Heck, they could have built a massive park there, like Brookdale Park on steroids, complete with a world class zoo, a museum, etc., and had it powered by alternative energy. That, in my opinion, would be a much more sensible and unique option, and one that could showcase the innovation and leadership in New Jersey. It would have created a natural oasis in an industrial wasteland, which is exactly what that whole area is. See Berry's Creek for starters.

My position would be more accurately described as leave northeast NJ. It's where I grew up and it was once a great place. Over the decades it's been headed into a downward spiral. I'd like to see it changed for the better, but I don't think it's possible at this point; it's too far gone.

Last edited by Citizen Chin; 11-15-2009 at 09:01 AM..

Old 11-15-2009, 09:22 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
They could of built it in a better location.
Right in the heart of the meadowlands?! The traffic in that area can get pretty rough as it is.

It's definitely going to be cool to have nearby though.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:44 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
I dont get why people hate this so much... Really has no effect on me. I would go check it out a few times im sure, but other then that it has no effect...

Old 11-15-2009, 10:54 AM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
How can it be open on Sundays with Bergen County's Blue Laws? At least it should make Route 3 and the Turnpike more fun when the Jets or Giants are in town

Old 11-15-2009, 04:00 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,065 times
Quote:
What an appropriate topping to the crap pie that the area has become. With Clifton Commons (and that other, claustrophobic new strip mall across from it on Rt. 3), the traffic will become even more unbearable than it already is. Meet the new NE New Jersey: condos, malls, condos, malls, condos, malls.....if only we could have some McMansion farms, we'd win the trifecta!

How long until Brookdale Park is paved over and becomes Brookdale Arms Gated Community and Shopping Plaza?
good point. there's enough traffic as it is in that area. we certainly don't need the largest mall in America to be in New Jersey. i think we have enough...

isn't this similar to the Palisades Center up in New York? it's pretty much the same thing only on a smaller scale and without an indoor ski slope. honestly, there's really no good place for it. NE Jersey is already too crowded, NW Jersey is one of the last rural areas in beautiful New Jersey and we don't need that ruined. it would never fly in Morris County, where I grew up. the residents wouldn't want all that congestion. perhaps there's room in South Jersey for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey