Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:54 AM

412 posts, read 1,324,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Good keep us posted on the outcome
I sure will and again thanks for all the posts.

Funny how I avoid the Light Rail with a passion now, and only take it when it's ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY like when I need to go to Target, and even though I don't pay, I USE MY MONTHLY NJ TRANSIT PASS,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 11:40 AM

730 posts, read 2,881,750 times
These light rail tickets are one of the biggest money making scams for Jersey City. I was in court 5 times over a 10 week period (I was assulted in the path station and pressed charges) and every day I spent in the court room I would say 90% of everyone in there was in there on a "failure to validate light rail ticket" or "failure to pay".

Now I agree people need to pay but it was crazy how many people get tickets for this! It seems to generate a ton of income for the city.

That being said, my advice is to tell your story (don't try to put any blame on the officer) but be truthful, that you were new to the area and did not realize how the system works.

I saw the judge let quite a few people off if it was their first offense. He did not like it, however, when people tried worming their way out with excuses. He appreciated their honesty. Most of he out of towners got the charges dropped.

Good luck!!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:36 PM

88,203 posts, read 84,076,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
Ok before I moved to Jersey, my and my b/f didn't know a dang thing about the transit system here.

So one day we went to see the apt. we decided to rent and had took the PATH to Exchange Pl. and changed to the HBLR to Congress St.

Since we are both Native NY'ers we thought we could just transfer to the light rail since we already paid on the PATH.

Lo and behold we were taken off the train at by the fare enforcement officers and issue a ticket for non-payment.

We explained that we just came from looking at a place and didn't know we had to pay. He told us that he would let us slide but couldn't because one we were standing under a camera and his supervisor was with him so we were issued a $75 ticket. He also said don't worry about it just pay the ticket online because it won't turn into a warrant or go on your record.

OK why Saturday, I received a letter stating that there's a warrant out for my arrest and that I should turn myself in and pay the bail which is $99.00 because I didn't answer the complaint and show up in court.

I never received such notice or date.

Wth, in the process of moving to Jersey I totally forgot about the ticket so now I have to go to the court house and turn myself in and pay the bail amount.

Again, wth, I'm not a fugitive, I know pay my fare when I take the light rail but sheesh you can imagine how I felt when I saw that letter.

I plan on telling the judge the same story I just said here, was looking at an apt. originally from NY and didn't know you had to pay and extra fare and in the process of moving to Jersey I forgot about the ticket.

So do you think I would get off or just have to pay the bail and the dang fine.
You used two totally different systems. PATH is a subsidiary of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The light rail system is NJ Transit. That would be akin to thinking you could get on the LIRR for free because you paid for a subway ride.

There's that pesky "you are presumed to know the law" thing. Most likely you will just have to pay the ticket, if you are nice and the judge is, too.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:05 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,882,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dear OP
i didnt know i had to pay to ride the transit???
Have you been on the light rail? I rode it several times before I realized how the fare was collected.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:47 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,770,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
These light rail tickets are one of the biggest money making scams for Jersey City. I was in court 5 times over a 10 week period (I was assulted in the path station and pressed charges) and every day I spent in the court room I would say 90% of everyone in there was in there on a "failure to validate light rail ticket" or "failure to pay".

Now I agree people need to pay but it was crazy how many people get tickets for this! It seems to generate a ton of income for the city.

That being said, my advice is to tell your story (don't try to put any blame on the officer) but be truthful, that you were new to the area and did not realize how the system works.

I saw the judge let quite a few people off if it was their first offense. He did not like it, however, when people tried worming their way out with excuses. He appreciated their honesty. Most of he out of towners got the charges dropped.

Good luck!!
I strongly recommend you follow this advice. I doubt very much if the judge will make any allowances for what you say the officer said, and in the worse case scenario, s/he might be tougher on you if you try to cast dispersions on the police. Not a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey