U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-16-2009, 02:42 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,621,466 times
Default tv with antenna no cable

does anyone in here have cable tv through an antenna on a roof? im so sick of paying high cable bills for nothing. cablevision is again raising rates. so now im going to get a roof antenna and not have a cable bill. im researching it so if anyone can give me some advice on a good antenna. i have an HD TV i know they have different antennas. thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 03:00 PM

563 posts, read 743,968 times
here's some good info:
TV Antenna Source Indoor/Outdoor TV Antennas - digital/HDTV

Old 11-17-2009, 12:08 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,358,957 times
Default Digital TV

Actually the best quality you can get is the free over-the-air digital TV using an antenna. I hardly ever watch TV myself but we get about 35 channels free. Depends where you live. We use the same antenna outdoors that we've had for decades. A neighbor had rabbit ears and that was spotty with a bit of pixelation and audio breakup, they had an outdoor antenna with the old flat twin lead cable so I just replaced the cable for them.

There are several websites where you can plug in your address and it will predict what kind of reception you should get.

TvFool is one website TV Fool

and AntennaWeb is another AntennaWeb

Even if you have cable or satellite, it's best to have regualr digital Tv as a backup and also for shows you can't get otherwise.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:08 AM

1,611 posts, read 3,624,202 times
Before canceling cable you should do a lot of testing with the antenna. Digital stations are much harder to pull in than analog stations. If you live more than say 20 miles from NYC you'll be pretty much out of luck, especially if you have any hilly terrain around you.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:42 AM

45 posts, read 45,104 times
I have comcast, but bought a digital converter from Zinwell for my summer house in the Catskills. I still have my old roof antenna i have attached to my stereo. For the heck of it, I decided to hook up my old antenna to this converter up to my high def tv. Was just curious to see whats avail. on free tv in the NYC area. I got about maybe 50 channels. All of them came in perfect. Nothing major like CNN of course. but about 3 or more versions of each local channel and a bunch of pbs channels. And allot of foreign channels too if that helps you in anyway. My summer house has a real crappy antenna and I get channels perfect with that. I think the antenna thing is overated. They would have you thinking you need a real fancy modern antenna. If you have a roof antenna already, use that. Even if you have rabbit ears, give that a try first before blowing money on a new antenna. Compared to pre cable days of the 80's, yes its pretty good. But if your used to allot of channels like Espn, cnn, etc. Than you might rethink going this route..

Old 11-17-2009, 10:38 AM

1,916 posts, read 2,830,644 times
We have this one:

Amazon.com: Antennas Direct 91XG Uni-directional HDTV Antenna: Electronics

We even use it on a house in the pocono mountains and get great reception. The kind of box you get matters too, I think. We use all Digital Stream and we never have any trouble.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:02 AM

10,807 posts, read 15,125,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
does anyone in here have cable tv through an antenna on a roof? im so sick of paying high cable bills for nothing. cablevision is again raising rates. so now im going to get a roof antenna and not have a cable bill. im researching it so if anyone can give me some advice on a good antenna. i have an HD TV i know they have different antennas. thanks

hmm I better take a look see at the bill sitting in my in box..I hate them thieves but which cable company isn't

Old 11-17-2009, 11:17 AM

10,807 posts, read 15,125,686 times
OMG I'm paying $72.14 a month for BASIC cable. We got the stupid box when they took away channels that were part of basic but now you need a box

Old 11-17-2009, 06:39 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,621,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
OMG I'm paying $72.14 a month for BASIC cable. We got the stupid box when they took away channels that were part of basic but now you need a box
yes thats what i mean. it crazy. and you know they are making money. why raise our rates. we dont really need cable. if you have internet you can watch everything online and there is a way to hook up your computer to tv so you dont have to watch on laptop.or just join blockbuster.com and rent from there.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:49 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,559,219 times
I use the Terk HDTVa antenna. It's awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey