Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:33 PM

286 posts, read 850,947 times

Advertisements

Get an EZ Pass and ask EZ Pass for "car pool" option. When you and at least 2 people in the car use the tunnels or GW bridge, tell the toll operator in an EZ pass/cash lanes "Car pool" and only $2 gets charged to crossing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 08:39 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
The PATH is 24/7/365....
Ok... I dont live in one of the few areas where the PATH goes to.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:42 PM

745 posts, read 1,437,732 times
The real disgrace is that a toll is meant to pay for the maintenance of the bridge/ tunnel/ roadway. Uh, uh... not anymore. These funds are used for anything and everything.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:12 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Used to be 50 cents, then $1, then just kept creeping up over the years, and yes it is waaay to expensive. They are taxing people just because there is a river to cross. This hurts business and social interaction a lot too.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Ok... I dont live in one of the few areas where the PATH goes to.
Then drive to Harrison. There's usually free parking a few blocks away.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
With all the mass transit options we have in NJ I don't know why anyone would even consider driving into NYC.
From Ocean County, the NJ Transit fees are ridiculous. Plus you have a 2 hour ride to the city whether it's train or bus. And then, there are the smelly people on the train eating disgusting food that makes you want to vomit. And then there are the inevitable train delays. And then there is the fact that you have to wait for a train instead of just leaving the city when you want.

FWIW, NYC is a unique city, but when I want to hang out in an urban area I usually drive to Philly, go to a nice restaurant, hang out on South Street, etc. It's far less stressful than NYC.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:16 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
From Ocean County, the NJ Transit fees are ridiculous. Plus you have a 2 hour ride to the city whether it's train or bus. And then, there are the smelly people on the train eating disgusting food that makes you want to vomit. And then there are the inevitable train delays. And then there is the fact that you have to wait for a train instead of just leaving the city when you want.

FWIW, NYC is a unique city, but when I want to hang out in an urban area I usually drive to Philly, go to a nice restaurant, hang out on South Street, etc. It's far less stressful than NYC.
When I lived in NJ, I frequently drove to Philly,NYC on the bus was $16rt unless my husband was away on business, and I used his monthly ticket , which was $200 for the month, its more now.

There are no Tolls where I live in TN, downtown to Museums, Broadway Plays, concerts, Music events is a 15 min drive on the interstate, and I live in Suburban Nashville, so not in the city.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post

Ocean County sucks. That's like in the middle of nowhere. I feel sorry for people living in Burlington County. That's even worse.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:08 PM

127 posts, read 310,892 times
Definitely $8 is too expensive I agree. But there are cheap ways in and out especially for New Jersey folks like us who go off peak times for pleasure instead of commuting for work.

Park in Weehawken, take the $2.50 each way shuttle bus, in and out for $5, not bad at all and it's quick, even when there is traffic it's about 15-20 minutes which isn't so bad, but you don't have to go at rush hour. They run till like 2 AM or maybe 3 and Friday and Saturday till 3 or 4, maybe later, I don't know but I have taken it back real late like close to 4 on weekends.

Also if I drive in I use EZ pass at the Lincoln and it's like $6 with the EZ pass discount, maybe that's off-peak but still if there are two of us or more it's cheap we each kick in 2 or 3 bucks. I usually go to lower east side and there is free street parking but you just gotta watch the signs for alternate side parking that kicks in at midnight and if you watch the signs you're fine. For pay parking there is a parking garage on 42nd and 9th or 10th ave, it's new with multi-color lights and not too expensive. Also I use a website and it shows me all the parking garages and what they cost and you can even reserve a spot and print the reservation which guarantees the price, I park for $9 a lot of times. So for me and a few friends it's $5 for the tunnel and $9 for the garage and a few bucks tip so for under $20 we all get in, it's only like $5 or 6 a person, that's not bad. In the city you can eat and party pretty cheap too, dinner is usually only like $20 a person which is real good, you pay that much at a diner or a Chili's or something in NJ.

You just have to know all the options and take what's best for you, if I go alone I park in weehaken and take that shuttle bus, it's cheap. Yeah it's not cheap like going to a mall in Jersey and parking for free but of course iit's a whole different thing too.

Oh here is the website to compare parking garages: http://nyc.bestparking.com/index.php

Old 11-17-2009, 11:23 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Ocean County sucks. That's like in the middle of nowhere. I feel sorry for people living in Burlington County. That's even worse.
Middle of nowhere? I grew up in Ocean County in a town of 90,000 people. That ain't the middle of nowhere. It's just far enough from NYC/Philly where the water is clean and I can see tons of stars at night, but neither city is more than 90 minutes away if I'm driving there.

Honestly, my girlfriend lives up in Caldwell and there is NOTHING to do up there. It might not be in the "middle of nowhere" by your definition, but everybody seems to be in bed by like 9 p.m. Around here we have tons of great bars, clubs, an awesome music scene. There's always something to do. It just seems very boring up in North Jersey - everyone usually ends up coming here to have a good time! People are too stressed in that area. I dunno. I'm just a beach bum from Ocean County I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey