Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,145 times

Advertisements

DISCLAIMER:If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, don't respond.

I feel like a sore thumb saying this. I don't know if you guys know anything about rap besides Jay-Z. Jersey was actually ringing bells in the rap world in the 90s and then it disappeared. What happened? Lauren Hill doesn't count either. To me, she's an r&b singer and an overrated rapper. Most of the known Jersey rappers either don't want to be associated with Jersey (Redman, he does his videos in New York), quit rap to go into something else (Queen Latifah), or just got shut down (Lords of the Underground, Naughty by Nature, Sugarhill Gang).

I look at youtube and all I see is this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGvGrVYrF1Y

LMAO @ these guys in Newark trying to sound like they're from the south and drinking cough syrup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 09:35 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,035 times
What do u mean by shut down? Treach from Naughty got into movies as well, besides Latifah. I wouldn't even say that Jersey had a real rap scene......given how close we are to NYC. The 90's had good rap but I don't think Jersey stood out during that time. I think Naughty had some difference of opinion with each other.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:42 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,928,947 times
You can't put disclaimers on your OP.

What's wrong with R&B?

Old 11-19-2009, 09:50 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,200 times
You have to go away at some point. You are trolling out of control.

And for the record, Reggie shouts out Jersey to the point of overdose on his albums (I guess you never heard a Red album).
LOL @ Lauren being overrated. And you forgot Poor Righteous Teachers, Just Blaze, The 45 King, to mention only a few.

Last edited by openheads; 11-19-2009 at 09:58 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
You can't put disclaimers on your OP.

What's wrong with R&B?
I can't do that????

And R&B is garbage. Don't make me get started on that. Tell me what you think is hot so I can tell you what I think is garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmgvr4 View Post
What do u mean by shut down? Treach from Naughty got into movies as well, besides Latifah. I wouldn't even say that Jersey had a real rap scene......given how close we are to NYC. The 90's had good rap but I don't think Jersey stood out during that time. I think Naughty had some difference of opinion with each other.
Treach to me is a joke. He's busy trying to move around with that thug image and only coming off looking like a clown. I remember this guy had the nerve to show up to an award show with a gun holster thinking he was scaring somebody. Then another time, this guy was trying to do some news show for the Source magazine that came on channel 4 and he couldn't even do that right. He was more focused on acting real thuggish, sounding all tough looking like while Lisa Raye was acting real cocky. Treach hasn't been relevant since 93.

What about the Fugees? I know everybody here remembers back in 96 when Killing Me Softly was playing on every single radio station. I couldn't stand that song. It was everywhere. My cousins had the nerve to put it on WKTU where they played that song every 5 minutes.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
You have to go away at some point. You are trolling out of control.

And for the record, Reggie shouts out Jersey to the point of overdose on his albums (I guess you never heard a Red album).
LOL @ Lauren being overrated. And you forgot Poor Righteous Teachers, Just Blaze, The 45 King, to mention only a few.
LOL! You got hate in your blood. You might get banned before me though if you keep it up. You know what I'm talking about too.

First off, don't talk about somebody you don't know. My brother owns Whut, Thee Album and Muddy Waters while the only Redman CD I have is Dare Iz A Darkside. What does Redman shouting out Jersey on every single album have to do with him filming most of his videos in New York? The only videos he did in Jersey that I can remember was Tonight's Da Night and some song for his Ill At Will mixtape. Look it up yourself instead of hating.

And yes, Lauren is overrated. That 1999 album wasn't good. I can't stand that song everybody loves so much. "That Thing". It's annoying.

And nobody cares about the Poor Righteous Teachers, Just Blaze fell off, and the 45 King doesn't even count. I thought he was from Detroit.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:26 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,928,947 times
What are you talking about?

Old 11-19-2009, 10:39 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
DISCLAIMER:If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, don't respond.

I feel like a sore thumb saying this. I don't know if you guys know anything about rap besides Jay-Z. Jersey was actually ringing bells in the rap world in the 90s and then it disappeared. What happened? Lauren Hill doesn't count either. To me, she's an r&b singer and an overrated rapper. Most of the known Jersey rappers either don't want to be associated with Jersey (Redman, he does his videos in New York), quit rap to go into something else (Queen Latifah), or just got shut down (Lords of the Underground, Naughty by Nature, Sugarhill Gang).

I look at youtube and all I see is this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGvGrVYrF1Y

LMAO @ these guys in Newark trying to sound like they're from the south and drinking cough syrup.
lol besides JayZ? What happend was HIM that bucktooth ape hoarding hot 97. We have Jayz lil wayne, akon is from jersey this is ur so called rap today. If u want the real scene go to a highschool early in the morning or browse myspace.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:55 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
LOL! You got hate in your blood. You might get banned before me though if you keep it up. You know what I'm talking about too.

First off, don't talk about somebody you don't know. My brother owns Whut, Thee Album and Muddy Waters while the only Redman CD I have is Dare Iz A Darkside. What does Redman shouting out Jersey on every single album have to do with him filming most of his videos in New York? The only videos he did in Jersey that I can remember was Tonight's Da Night and some song for his Ill At Will mixtape. Look it up yourself instead of hating.

And yes, Lauren is overrated. That 1999 album wasn't good. I can't stand that song everybody loves so much. "That Thing". It's annoying.

And nobody cares about the Poor Righteous Teachers, Just Blaze fell off, and the 45 King doesn't even count. I thought he was from Detroit.
Most videos u can't tell where it's filmed but these are in N.j.

I'll Bee Dat
Pick it up
Put it Down
Tonights da night
Funkorama

jUS Allah is from camden, most our rappers are too real for radio

Old 11-20-2009, 08:32 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,443 times
Akon is from Newark, and he's one of the biggest rap artists around. He doesn't hide the fact that he's from Jersey at all. And FWIW, as much as Jay-Z tries to be "I'm so Brooklyn" in all his songs, he spent a lot of his time growing up in New Jersey and actually went to Trenton Central HS before he was kicked out and started hustling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey