U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 02:48 PM

594 posts, read 205,547 times
Default Pros & Cons of New Jersey

List up to 5 Pros & Cons of the state of New Jersey.

Spoiler
Garden State - NJ is home to 8.7 million. It is one of the smallest, but the most density populated, and one of the wealthiest states in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 02:56 PM

594 posts, read 205,547 times
Pros:

*Excellent 4 seasons weather
*Close to NYC, and other mayor cities.
*Diverse people & landscape
*Good public transportation
*Plenty of shopping

Cons:

*Expensive taxes
*Expensive home prices/rents
*No mayor large city, those we have are ghetto.
*Very crowded
*Not too much enterteiment, other than malls

Last edited by PalmBch; 11-20-2009 at 03:22 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 03:04 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,043,897 times
I've got 6 of each

Pros
* All four seasons
* Rural life commuting distance from major cities
* Diners
* AMAZING beaches
* Diverse people/landscape
* Wawa

Cons
* High Taxes
* Corrupt Government
* Most large cities are ghettos
* Did I say corrupt, that's one's large enough to take up two slots
* The sense of regionalism
* Putting up with out-of-staters who have the wrong opinion of you because your from NJ

Old 11-22-2009, 08:50 PM

118 posts, read 191,412 times
Pros:
4 Seasons (if you like that)
Good Food (People are always raving about how good the Food is here)
Wawa Everywhere with Gas Stations
Close to Major Cities
Good Paying Jobs

Cons:
Corrupt Government & Police
Expensive Housing and Rent
Expensive Car Insurance and Property taxes
A lot of places is Run down and Ghetto
A lot of schools are old and rundown(Very Old Buildings that need to be knocked down exposed Electric and pipes classrooms are fire hazards No air Conditioner Imagine Gym class on a hot summer day etc) i don't see hows that an good education.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:49 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,952,743 times
Pros:

The landscape is incredibly diverse for a state its size and grants residents access to beaches, state forests, mountains, and small towns with little drive time.

There's a serious culture of respect for good food and access to any type of cuisine, from the more exotic such as Thai and Ethiopian, to some of the best Italian food in the nation.

Cons:

An out of control cost of living standard, and, let's face it, the highest taxes in the nation. Despite taxes which are almost nauseating to contemplate, the quality of life and of the cities, the level of corruption, overcrowding, and pollution never improves one iota.

Not one respectable city which is nationally-known for anything positive; every city is either a dangerous ghetto or a very dangerous ghetto

A nanny state mentality which leads to the police being more concerned with pulling over speeders than controlling the cities, laughably horrendous gun laws, and intrusive bans on everything not sanitized and PC, even fireworks!

A nightmare of overpopulation, to the extent that every single county is considered part of some metropolitan area. Some people view being in the middle of Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington D.C. (the BosWash corridor) to be a great blessing; I consider it one of the greatest curses. There are some beautiful rural areas in this state, but don't expect to live there comfortably. NJ is flat out a terrible state to live for anyone who doesn't enjoy urban areas and prefers rural life.

Corruption. Corruption everywhere. A long line of Governors who should be behind bars. A legislature which holds the state hostage with special interests. The ability of the cities to hold the state hostage with welfare funding and demands which are always appeased. Out of control labor unions. If New Jersey wants to win the title of the nation's only Communist state, Trenton could at least run it half as effectively as Stalin did the USSR.

I was going to go back and do more pro's, but thinking about the massive problems in this state just puts me in the wrong type of mood to have any kind words. It's a shame.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:54 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,043,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Pros:

A nightmare of overpopulation, to the extent that every single county is considered part of some metropolitan area. Some people view being in the middle of Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington D.C. (the BosWash corridor) to be a great blessing; I consider it one of the greatest curses. There are some beautiful rural areas in this state, but don't expect to live there comfortably. NJ is flat out a terrible state to live for anyone who doesn't enjoy urban areas and prefers rural life.

I was going to go back and do more pro's, but thinking about the massive problems in this state just puts me in the wrong type of mood to have any kind words. It's a shame.
No, you can live a VERY rural life style if you choose to in NJ feeling little to no effect from cities. Cape May, Atlantic, Cumberland, Salem, Sussex, and Warren Counties are VERY rural to name a few examples.

Also, for the last part, I know what you mean. NJ's cons are some pretty big ones.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:57 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,952,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
No, you can live a VERY rural life style if you choose to in NJ feeling little to no effect from cities. Cape May, Atlantic, Cumberland, Salem, Sussex, and Warren Counties are VERY rural to name a few examples.

Also, for the last part, I know what you mean. NJ's cons are some pretty big ones.
Sussex, Hunterdon, Warren, Ocean, and Cape May are essentially my five favorite counties in New Jersey. Beyond those and a few towns scattered throughout the rest of the state though (Edgewater, Princeton, etc.) the level of pure garbage has just gotten hard to stand.

I'm aware that there are rural areas in NJ. The point I was trying to make is that no one in their right mind who wants to actually live in a rural area in any affordable sense would never move to New Jersey. It's a state that caters to urban interests and the desire of the wealthy to senselessly develop. This can not be escaped whether you are in the forestland of Sussex or the resort towns in Cape May.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:16 AM

6,818 posts, read 3,641,901 times
Default not good at sports figures

Not good at sports figures but, Yogi Bera, several of the current Giants, Yankees and Jets are pros that live in NJ.

As for cons, well there have been several luminaries John List, as an example. Recently 44 other prominent politicians and business men have become NJ cons.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:29 AM

655 posts, read 1,157,359 times
Pros:
1. Good variety of areas to live - urban, suburban, rural, etc.
2. Good paying jobs.
3. Easy access to major cities, NYC & Philly.
4. Excellent ethnic food/variety of restaurants.
5. Abundance of any kind of shopping you could possibly want.

Cons:
1. Property taxes.
2. Far too high police presence/harassment factor in the suburban areas and on the highways. "Big brother is watching."
3. High home prices, especially on the low end, serve as a barrier to many younger people settling down in NJ.
4. Car insurance rates.
5. "Keeping up with the jonses" culture in some parts of northern NJ. "My BMW 750 is more expensive than your 550."

Old 11-23-2009, 07:09 AM

337 posts, read 336,116 times
Quote:
*No mayor large city, those we have are ghetto.
Quote:
A lot of places is Run down and Ghetto
LOL!!! Classic!!!

I wunder if doze peeps in da ghettos gots better grammar den yooze twos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey