Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:05 AM

271 posts, read 1,667,768 times

Advertisements

Hey New Jersey residents. I don't follow the NFL too much. But here in Dallas, they opened up the new Cowboys Stadium this past year. And it seems as though the new home for the Giants and the Jets in East Rutherford will be the next much-hyped NFL stadium to open.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu263/HBK-79/newmeadowlands.jpg (broken link)

I was just curious about a couple of things-

Will that new Meadowlands Stadium finally get naming rights?

How do Jersey residents feel overall about this new stadium?

I just had to ask since the new Cowboys Stadium never got a naming rights deal.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 11:45 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,443 times
I think most New Jersey residents would just like the Giants to stop pretending they're from New York.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:01 PM

728 posts, read 1,964,454 times
Im pumped though I am so used to the stadium being called Giants stadium. At least if your a Jet Fan your no longer playing in another teams stadium, since the teams are both owning the new stadium.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:19 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,457,993 times
I think it was incredibly stupid of them to build a new stadium without a retractable roof. No Super Bowls for us! If you're going to build something and spend gobs of money to do it, do it right! I think that the new stadium and Xanadu (if it ever opens) will make an incredibly crowded and dangerous area to drive even more incredibly crowded and dangerous to drive. Well, maybe not as dangerous on the days when Route 3 and 120 become engulfed in absolute gridlock. And as for the naming of the stadium? Well, I think Sharpe James Stadium has a ring to it.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
I think most New Jersey residents would just like the Giants to stop pretending they're from New York.
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder
And as for the naming of the stadium? Well, I think Sharpe James Stadium has a ring to it.
Personally, PSEG Field has a nice ring to it.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:00 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,300 times
Quote:
i'll never understand why some people complain about the giants and jets identifying as a ny team while playing in nj, but no one makes a peep about the fact that the washington redskins play in landover, maryland, yet still use the name "washington".

should we refer to the redskins as the "maryland redskins" or "landover redskins" just because their stadium is located in a suburban town that happens to be in a separate (but nearby) jurisdiction? of course not - they still represent the greater washington d.c. area.

similarly, the "ny" in ny giants and ny jets refers to new york city, NOT new york state.

by extension, the teams represent the greater nyc area, of which east rutherford (and north jersey in general) is an integral component. the meadowlands sports complex is only 6.5 miles from midtown manhattan, so it is very much located within the immediate orbit of nyc.

so there's no reason why the two teams can't use "ny" in their names. they're indisputably nyc-area teams, so it makes perfect sense. despite what some people on either side of the hudson river want to believe, it is not a ny state vs. nj thing; it's a city vs. suburb thing, yet in the end, it's all part of the same region.

people need to stop being so territorial about arbitrary political boundaries and instead look at the big picture. city or state lines are rendered meaningless when taking into account the larger metropolitan area.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:19 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
Hey New Jersey residents. I don't follow the NFL too much. But here in Dallas, they opened up the new Cowboys Stadium this past year. And it seems as though the new home for the Giants and the Jets in East Rutherford will be the next much-hyped NFL stadium to open.

I was just curious about a couple of things-

Will that new Meadowlands Stadium finally get naming rights?

How do Jersey residents feel overall about this new stadium?

I just had to ask since the new Cowboys Stadium never got a naming rights deal.

Thanks in advance!
i expect that the new stadium will eventually get naming rights, but perhaps not until the economy improves. so there's a very real chance that the stadium may open next september with a generic, non-corporate name like "meadowlands stadium".

personally, i am thrilled about the teams getting a new stadium, but like zhelder, i am very disappointed that it was built without a retractable roof that would've allowed it to host super bowls, ncaa men's basketball final fours, etc. these events bring in tons of money to the local economy, yet neither the teams nor the state wanted to foot the bill for the roof. a real shame, because it would've allowed the stadium to attract special, once-a-year events that would have a greater economic impact than more "local" happenings like concerts or giants/jets games.

Quote:
Quote:
LOL!
jericho, as a dallas-area resident, you shouldn't be one to talk. your local team, the cowboys, hasn't played in the city of dallas since 1971, yet it still identifies as a dallas team. and now that they've moved to arlington, they're actually closer to fort worth than to dallas.

to paraphrase veradodan's comment above, would you still be "LOL" if someone were to suggest that they "would just like the cowboys to stop pretending they're from dallas?" or are the cowboys exempt from such nitpicking scrutiny?

Quote:
Personally, PSEG Field has a nice ring to it.
i disagree; that would be a horrendous name. to be honest, just about any corporate name is going to sound awful, so i'm not looking forward to the day when the teams finally secure a naming rights deal.

that said, i totally understand why teams sell their stadiums' naming rights. i just don't like it.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:27 PM

267 posts, read 950,142 times
Personally, I think the overall architectural design is a let down. The stadium is pretty boring compared to the other new ones that have gone up in recent years. It's lacking character. The louver idea is kind of cool especially since it allows the stadium to appear all blue or all green. It's really not fair though...you can build the Taj Mahal out in Dallas for less than a mediocre stadium here.

There was a rumor a while ago about JetBlue being the corporate sponsor, which would have been perfect. That's not happening though. I keep hearing Allianz being bounced around.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:42 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,443 times
It kinda looks like the exterior of a diner from the photo posted by the OP.

Would construction costs be a lot lower in Dallas? Why's that? Union debacles up here?

Old 11-22-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post

jericho, as a dallas-area resident, you shouldn't be one to talk. your local team, the cowboys, hasn't played in the city of dallas since 1971, yet it still identifies as a dallas team. and now that they've moved to arlington, they're actually closer to fort worth than to dallas.

to paraphrase veradodan's comment above, would you still be "LOL" if someone were to suggest that they "would just like the cowboys to stop pretending they're from dallas?" or are the cowboys exempt from such nitpicking scrutiny?

i disagree; that would be a horrendous name. to be honest, just about any corporate name is going to sound awful, so i'm not looking forward to the day when the teams finally secure a naming rights deal.

that said, i totally understand why teams sell their stadiums' naming rights. i just don't like it.
As I stated before, I don't follow football, and I'm originally from North Jersey. So I could care less about the Cowboys.

I was just LOLing at Veradodan's comment, because I thought it was a funny wisecrack. That's all.

Plus, I suggested PSEG because they're name is prevalent in Middlesex County. It was just a random thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey